Hello Kali users.
All my 64 and 32 Bit real and virtual installations are no longer allowing me, as the administrator,
to mount their root directories from my "Leno" machine for troubleshooting purposes, whereas they did allow me to mount that directory before updating and upgrading in April, 2021.

The /etc/exports files have not changed, and I can still mount the sub-directory /nfs as listed in /etc/exports, as shown below, but just not the root directory. All systems have identical /etc/host files with IP addresses assigned, as for example the Dell and Leno machines.

Here?s what the /etc/exports file on the Dell machine looks like, and notice how that for better security purposes, only the ?Leno? machine can?could?mount the root directory on the ?Leno? machine. (pardon my redundancy).

root@Dell:/#
root@Dell:/# cat /etc/exports
# /etc/exports: the access control list for file systems which may be exported
# to NFS clients. See exports(5).
#
/ Leno(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
/nfs *(rw,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure,cro ssmnt,anonuid=65534,anongid=1000)

Here?s what I now get when I try to mount Dell?s root directory into my /Dell directory on ?Leno.?

root@Leno:/# mkdir Dell
root@Leno:/# mount Dell:/ /Dell
mount.nfs: Operation not permitted
root@Leno:/#

At first I thought that this might have been a ?Debian? change, but I can still mount the root directory
on my Ubuntu and Debian machines after updating/upgrading them and, therefore, reasoned that this
might be a Kali-2021 issue.

I?ve exhausted online searches and even compared ?before? and ?after? configuration files, for example in the /etc/init.d and /etc/defaults directories, but still haven?t found what has changed, leading me to
reason that maybe a library file has changed. I?ve been reluctant to explore library files as I am not
a programmer.

I probably could work around the problem by exporting and then mounting each sub-directory via an executable script command but I?d rather try to find out what the source of the problem is, and then explore my options. Until then, I?ve ?walked back? every machine to before the update, which
was something I didn?t like to do.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Leno