Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

Kali Linux Live USB install

Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Tks so much
    X Giun Đất Việt Nam

3. My Win32 Disk Imager doesn't recognizes the Kali.ISO file.
    I've seted it for "all files" and WRITE the ISO for usb but wen I restart, OS NOT FOUND
    I'm using BIOS Phoenix.

After done the tutorial with the app Win32 Disk Imager...
    ERR: OS not found
    linux.bin not found
    Last edited by sickn3ss; 2013-03-15 at 10:34.

Thank you muts, LiveUSK keys with BackTrack was a real life saver.
    Looking forward to see more awesome stuffs from Kali

Hi,
    is there a way to use Kali with an multiboot USB and grub2?
    I believe I made it with BT5 but sadly my old MutlitBoot USB was not car tired proof.

So I started a new one.
    I've got a grub2 installation and a grub.cfg like that:
    menuentry "Kali ISO" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    loopback loop /iso/kali-linux-1.0-amd64.iso
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live iso-scan/filename=/iso/kali-linux-1.0-amd64.iso
    initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
    }

But in the end i've got an Error:
    Live-boot will now start a shell. The error message was:
    Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

I can't remember how i fixed that. any suggestions?

Kind regards
    Tera

thanks a lot of

I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?

I had the same issue until I used the newest version of unetbootin.

Quote Originally Posted by AABoyles View Post
    I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?
    same issue

i have the same problem. I noticed that he is unable to read the /cdrom/dist/stable/Release file. I used the amd64 image.
    I also tried to extract the Files from the ISO but it seems to be currupt and i had a sha1sum mismatch. I will now try to download again and hope that this will work.

Yeah I've been having the same problem. Haven't seen a way around it. Anyone else have any ideas? It thinks its booting off a CD? not a usb?

download the image again but don't use google-chrome. after is used wget to download it works

Yes, i'm having this problem, but i'm don't know how to fix it. I'm want 2 create MIMB flash. Other isos boot carefully, but Kali runs only in live mode. I'm thinking about emulation, but don't know how to realize it.. =((

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    Hi,
    i made everything but there is a big problem. Macbook don't see usb flash drive as bootable drive... This problem is on the most of linux distributions except ubuntu. Any ideas?

Hi,
    I have a multi boot USB key with Kali-live inside and a grub4dos boot manager (WinGrub) .

Actions I have performed are :
    1) copy the "live" CD-ROM folder into the USB key VFAT partition.
    2) rename this folder as "Kali" in order to have a nice ordered file hierarchy on the key (I still have 4 other live OSes).
    3) add the grub (legacy) menu :

title Live (686-pae)
    kernel /Kali/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali live-media-path=/Kali persistence
    initrd /Kali/initrd.img

live-media-path=/Kali is compulsory since I have changed the live folder name
    persistence is here because I also have on this USB key an ext4 partition named persistence with persistence.conf file on it.

Today unsolved problem :
    * impossible to mount the FAT USB partition as it is already installed but "lost" during the boot (the volume is shown on the desktop)
    * persistence volume is shown on the desktop but should be "invisible"

I am digging intrd shell scripts in order to find a clue ....

Is there a way we can add the persistent arugment to live.cfg by default?

i've had good experiences with 'dd', but it apparently doesn't work for every iso AND don't accidentally enter sda (or otherwise overwrite your harddrive)

arch has a good wiki entry for this method https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...allation_Media

best wishes

~ilikepenguins

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but the latest version of universal usb installer has just added support for kali linux.

Here's the link http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

I was having trouble installing it at first, but after dounloading the software again, it worked. I still had more problems though. It insatlled succesfully this time, however, i couldn't get the network to configure DHCP, which resulted in me not being able to setup package manager, so i was forced to select the no option. So now im not able to install packages from kali repositories. What can i do to be able to add the kali repositories?

thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by wifiuk View Post
    same issue
    Have you got your boot entry set to boot a CD/DVD device before your USB?
    If so, try swapping it to after the USB and see if that fixes it

I need immediate help.... When I try to boot Kali on my Touchsmarttm2 either live or graphical install from a USB/Flash Drive, It loads and gives me a Blackscreen... It did the same in the past with BackTrack and I was never able to install BackTack on my Hp Touchsmart tm2 i3.. I am stuck installing Kali because of this Blackscreen... I need immediate help....

Hi all, before I even download Kali Linux, I was just wondering if the backtrack 5 r3/2/1 problem had been fixed in Kali Linux. When I attempted to install backtrack 5 with a flash drive, upon typing startx my monitor would go black and the monitor light would be blinking. Simultaneously, my Radeon dual 5870's along with my desktop would remain on and I noticed my Radeon graphics cards would blow out extremely hot air, not even crisis 3 would cause this. Anyway, today I had decided to give backtrack 5 one last chance after previously wasted days, and followed these instructions because other instructions had failed me,

http://backtrack-linux.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48737

I was able to log in successfully after modifying and entering startx. Next, installed backtrack 5 r2, however; after restarting my desktop, I had the black screen of death with the blinking underscore... I was extremely frustrated not only because I had no backup, I had no recovery disks. Luckily I was able to find recovery disks online, burned them and started windows start up repair, after two hours, start up repair had failed and my desktop had restarted. Amazingly, windows gave me an option to ignore and continue using windows, next windows began checking my hard-drive and boom, windows 7 is fixed!
    My specifications are
    Alienware area 51
    Intel core i7 960 bloomfield socket 1366 LGA
    Radeon HD 5870
    12gb RAM
    Thank you...
    By the way, Backtrack works using Vmware Workstation, but I wanted to install it in order to use pyrit and my gpus to go through dictionaries much faster because my alienware m18x is too slow, also my laptop has nvidia graphics cards. May that be the problem with my desktop? If so, I may consider selling my graphics cards and buying a nvidia titan. thanks.

i am using Linux Live USB Creator for 3 years now, it's stable and easy to use and i install Kali Linux using this....very easy try here http://www.linuxliveusb.com/downloads/?stable and for grub repair try this http://longjidinz.blogspot.com/2011/...cktrack-5.html update the live Kali Linux the install grub2 maybe this will help

happy hunting!!

has anyone ever attempted installing Kali on usb stick(4g)? if yes, care to share some howto

I used Unebootin in windows to make a bootable kali usb. worked great - does it take forever to install? backtrack was pretty quick.
    until the light takes us.

I have downloaded Kali 1.0.2 via the website and installed it on a multiboot usb. Kali boots up and runs fine; however, contrary to what appears in the various How-Tos, the grub boot menu does not present me with the option to Install (either in Graphical or Text mode); all I have are various "Live" options.

Any advice?

When you select live, are you able to boot into live mode ?

hi

thanks for the "method under linux" described in the documentation
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install
    WORKED on my usb sandisk 16GB (persistence or live)

PS: For any interested I did a "" "video" "" up (kali-usb-pendrive) "" booting in virtualbox ""
    http://vimeo.com/65144387
    nothing new! & sorry for quality!

Quote Originally Posted by root-boy View Post
    When you select live, are you able to boot into live mode ?
    Yes, Kali runs fine in live mode. I just can't install it...

i downloaded Win32 Disk Imager from the provide link..but after dowloading, it doesn't run. it shows about some missing file. what to do now please help

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfalc View Post
    I have downloaded Kali 1.0.2 via the website and installed it on a multiboot usb. Kali boots up and runs fine; however, contrary to what appears in the various How-Tos, the grub boot menu does not present me with the option to Install (either in Graphical or Text mode); all I have are various "Live" options.

Any advice?
    I have downloaded Kali 1.0.3 and see exactly the same thing, viz., that the Kali Splash screen presents me only with the options to do Live boots (three choices, I believe, regular, Forensic and Persistent). I am not presented with any "Install" options.

As I mentioned before, I am using a multiboot usb stick (prepared with YUMI), and when I choose any of the "Live" options, Kali boots fine. I just can't seem to install it.

I would appreciate any insight.

its possible to install Kali on USB not as Boot Live Usb but as primary O.S like i install it on HDD , so i can update it without lost update after reboot it , i would appreaciate your help, btw sorry for my bad english isnt my primary language

Greetings,

Trying to create a Live USB of Kali Linux using Ubuntu 12.04, but not having any luck. I tried using the Ubuntu's Create a Starter Disk, but not having any luck cause it doesn't allow me to select the .iso.

I was successful to perform the Linux cmds shown on - http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install but when I reboot my machine to and try to boot the up with the live usb, it doesn't work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleY82 View Post
    Greetings,

Trying to create a Live USB of Kali Linux using Ubuntu 12.04, but not having any luck. I tried using the Ubuntu's Create a Starter Disk, but not having any luck cause it doesn't allow me to select the .iso.

I was successful to perform the Linux cmds shown on - http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install but when I reboot my machine to and try to boot the up with the live usb, it doesn't work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
    I was able to resolve the issue, and got the usb live working.

Cheers

Hi guys i'm back, well I now permanently give up trying to install backtrack 5. I have been able to boot kali linux via flash drive, but once I am at the desktop there is no installation icon and once I reboot my desktop loads windows 7. It it possible to install kali to my hard drive?

Ok, having some install issues. Installing from a USB, on a Samsung Series 7 Slate. (Im guessing i need to remake the USB from the Galaxy Note version of Kali, if I got to). However, I can complete everything up to the actual install the system step. However, it says the step failed, even though partitions have been set up appropriately. No idea hat could be causing this, and it doesnt give me any errors as to why its failing. I think it could have somthing to do with the OEM and Recovery partitions ont he tablet that I am not removing, but I will if I ahve to. Does anyone know if the Galaxy Note version of Kali will work better for installing onto the Series 7 Slate, or if I can bypass it all together (i have a usb hub that i am using to use keybord, flashdrive, and mouse as needed so not too worried about getting drivers programmed, just need to get it installed).

i haven't find yet any multiboot usb creating software that supports the "install" menu for kali. i think best option is tha win32disk software the one i test and works

HI everyone...

i haven't find yet any multiboot usb creating software that supports the "install" menu for kali. i think best option is tha win32disk software the one i test and works
    Have you tried launching kali, going into "application/system tools/install Kali linux" ?

Plus, for all those who are experiencing trouble with live USB, try this method (you can replace "ext2" by "ext4" during the creation of the partition: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...highlight=ext2

Let me now if it helps

Hi

I have a question, maybe a stupid question.

Is the architecture of the iso is important ?

I ask this question, because I have a Kali live USB AMD64 and it works perfectly on PCs with AMD but it's impossible to boot on PCs with Intel

Thank you

For all those who are experiencing trouble with live USB, try this method (you can replace "ext2" by "ext4" during the creation of the partition: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...highlight=ext2

Hey i tried to install live usb on the usb itself seems dumb but that,s what was written on this http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install, i asked to create some partitions but it produced an error saying soemthing like you cant do this before rebooting, after i reboot nothing happens only a black screen appears , so i thought maybe i could put the iso file again by formatting the usb, but n ow my usb is reduced to just 230MB from 8GB, can't format it using the HP disk format tool it says that disk is write protected, please help

note:the colourful menu shown in the link , it was not in my case i had the blue screen just like you have it in windows BIOS

I've succed make multiboot. Kali, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, BlankOn, Xubuntu, and Windows XP. I use MultiSystem to make them...
    auastyle blog <~ http://www.ulil-albab.info
    @auastyle <~ on twitter

If I use the install option will it wipe Windows 7?

I just use the dd linux utility. It worked fine for me.

i have a problem installing Kali Linux 1.0.3-i386 with an USB on my Toshiba-NB_500 with Phoenix Bios... Kali istallation says there is a problem "Detecting and mounting the CD-ROM drivers" but, if im installing from an USB, why i need CD-ROM drivers? and in /dev/cdrom says there is nothing... what i need to do to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks, and sorry if that does not go here.

Quote Originally Posted by manngaurav View Post
    Hey i tried to install live usb on the usb itself seems dumb but that,s what was written on this http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install, i asked to create some partitions but it produced an error saying soemthing like you cant do this before rebooting, after i reboot nothing happens only a black screen appears , so i thought maybe i could put the iso file again by formatting the usb, but n ow my usb is reduced to just 230MB from 8GB, can't format it using the HP disk format tool it says that disk is write protected, please help
    I had a similar problem with my 8gb Cruzer Edge USB the HP disk Format tool won't format using the Quick format it says write protected but if you do a full format that will work.

I've still not managed to get kali successfully installed on my USB (need to do it that way as I Don't have a cd/dvd in my laptop) I tried both methods described in the official installation instructions, and also using unetbootin but non seem to work at all just end up making the USB unusable. I'm going to try with Universal USB installer and see if that works.

Thank you very much. I also found an article here about installing Kali + Encrypting it, although I wanted to ask if you can do this all at ones.
    Install Kali on a USB drive + add persistence + encrypt it.

Can anyone shed some light on my question?
    Also in what order should I do this?

I understand what you're wanting to achieve. Is it possible? yes. In order to apply packages during the installation, the packages would need to be available and not interrupt the sequence. Makes sense, right? The prompt would have to be a part of the install package. Sure, there are ways. But in the end what you have ...may just be a false sense of security, while operating under default ROOT user. Under this premise, without a serious amount of system monitoring, you could turn a slight network intrusion into a massacre. Security is best administered in layers. Full disk ecrypt is not by any means free from vulnerability. The majority of targeted attacks actually look for these opportunities. Even with removable drives / containers - files (or efforts) can be launched during hibernation periods or to be launched from a cold-boot....etc etc... I could get into the technical value in more detail but I would assume a solution is what you are looking for. Check out TrueCrypt (but do some research and heed the warnings) Another great idea from the install is to partition correctly and accordingly. Having a plan for your data and an encrypted LVM according to sensitivity is a good place to begin your research. Make no mistake - Attacks are real and are exponentially increasing in complexity as technology evolves. Your best defense, besides setting stored information values to zero and TURNING THINGS OFF, is not giving attackers such big targets to point at. This isn't tin-foil hat stuff anymore. If security is a priority for you - study it. The answer to your question will surface when you see the level and severity at which "they" will go to side step your encryption. food for thought