Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

Im having problems with acer aspire v5-122p-0408

ive made a bootable usb
    set bios to boot it. and it skips right over to my hard drive on boot
    the drive looks correct when i open the files open in ubuntu
    i wrote the amd 64 iso version to a brand new 8 gig usb drive from terminal.

can anyone help out?

Hello All !

I just installed Kali Linux on a bran new USB 3.0 stick, and it works really well. It runs very quickly from the stick, so nice that I almost don't see the difference from running from a hard-drive (I not doing anything very I/O intensive though). That new USB 3.0 pen-drive has 150 Mb/s read speed, and 70 Mb/s write speed (according to the maker) and I think that's what really makes a difference.

Btw, I created the Live USB directly from Mac OS by following the instructions here : How to create a bootable USB stick on OS X. The main difference with the steps on the Kali Live USB install page resides in converting the .iso file to a .img file before copying it with dd on the stick.

Anyway, it's working now with a persistence partition that I would like to mount automatically each time I boot on the key instead of adding the "persistence" string at the end of the boot command.

Where can I change that boot line ? I tried finding a grub.cfg or menu.lst file on the key, no success, and I'm not super familiar with the boot sequence on such a Linux system.

Thanks for any help,
    Paul-Henri

Hello everyone!

I got Kali Linux iso to mount, can boot from external no problem

Once it lods it asks for a user/pass. Everywhere I have read states that user/pass is root/toor, if not that then it's "what you set it to when you installed." Well seeing as how root/toor tried every which way doesn't work and there was no actual install process as I'm booting live, what do I do?? I'm more than a little frustrated

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Katalio View Post
    Once it lods it asks for a user/pass. Everywhere I have read states that user/pass is root/toor, if not that then it's "what you set it to when you installed." Well seeing as how root/toor tried every which way doesn't work and there was no actual install process as I'm booting live, what do I do?? I'm more than a little frustrated
    Did you check you keyboard layout ? If you're using a non US keyboard, it might be that some of the letters end-up different from what you're typing.

Hope this helps,
    Paul-Henri

i have a problem booting from usb

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
    then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
    i used my computer (64 bit) to download and create the usb
    any help???ideas??

i am having a problem with live booting on the USB, when i installed it it said the usb can be corupt. It boots up and go to the screen, but when i try the live boot. it always fails heres a picture of when i go in live
    http://i.gyazo.com/0fb729e348be9ef0d165de4b32a967e7.png
    Last edited by USBhub; 2014-04-21 at 13:37.

I followed the procedure for creating a live USB using Ubuntu, I've created my USB by typing: dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1
    The process finish, and return's me ok.. But when I restart my PC and I boot from USB, I obtain the following error: error loading operating system

Quote Originally Posted by simo8989 View Post
    I followed the procedure for creating a live USB using Ubuntu, I've created my USB by typing: dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1
    The process finish, and return's me ok.. But when I restart my PC and I boot from USB, I obtain the following error: error loading operating system
    Hi there, you need to dd the iso to the drive, not the partition.

Straight from the Kali guide:

dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k

Quote Originally Posted by mastrock View Post
    i have a problem booting from usb

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
    then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
    i used my computer (64 bit) to download and create the usb
    any help???ideas??
    Are you EFI booting?

Thank you for the reply sorry but Im new to the linux world, and i can't understand what do you mean by saying "you need to dd the iso to the drive" because my kali iso is inside the path i've specified after if (if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso) do i need to mount the iso file? thank you in advance

how to fix wierless not detect in kali linux,

No, you don't need to mount it.

Your command before was:
    dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1

Notice the 1 after sdb. This is telling dd to put the contents of kalilinux.iso on the first partition of sdb1.

You need dd to place it on the drive, not the partition.

dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb bs=512k

Make sure that sdb is your Usb drive before you start or you could wipe something unexpected.

Edit: make sure you run the command as root

No boot after install

Hi i got problems with booting Kali, hope someone would help.
    I booted up Kali in VMware Workstation and installed to a usbstick from there using the installer. It went well.
    I rebooted the computer and booted from the usbstick and get some kind of error and the systemboot is postponed.

Got a picture here: http://postimg.org/image/jo2wedcx7/

I had no trouble doing this with BackTrack, tried it just before i installed Kali on it. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G2 16GB.

hey i used www.pendrivelinux.com to install kali linux onto my usb yet u cant manage to set up the Kali Live Encrypted USB Persistence. is it possible to set it up wile using www.pendrivelinux.com?

I have "Kingston 32Gb 3.0" is it good for persistence installation?

Second question is that i am new to Linux is there any step-by-step
    tutorial for "Kali usb persistence Installation"?

Quote Originally Posted by kamachi View Post
    Hi i got problems with booting Kali, hope someone would help.
    I booted up Kali in VMware Workstation and installed to a usbstick from there using the installer. It went well.
    I rebooted the computer and booted from the usbstick and get some kind of error and the systemboot is postponed.

Got a picture here: http://postimg.org/image/jo2wedcx7/
    I had no trouble doing this with BackTrack, tried it just before i installed Kali on it. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G2 16GB.
    Hey, I got almost the same problem. I installed Kali Live with use of the "dd" command in terminal on a usb.
    When I try to boot from the usb I get a black screen and then ~6 rows of text shows.

"numbers..." [sdc] no caching mode found
    "numbers..." [sdc] assuming driver cache: writh through

after that it resumes to boot ubuntu.
    My usb stick has two partions, one on sdc and the second (this is the 3,95 Gb part where I installed Kali Live) is sdc1.
    Do you think this has something to do with it? and how could I solve this?

thankful for answears

I have an Windows 8 PC with an msi motherboard. i used the 64bit amd kali version and mounted it on my usb stick with the universial usb installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/)

when i boot from the usb stick i am able to enter the kali linux menu where i press the live amd64bit mask. (but there is no difference when i press somethin else) then the distribution starts with the text floating over the screen and after that the screen becomes dark and stays like this. i waited 10 minutes but nothin changes, so for me it is not possible to start the distribution.

anybody offers help for this issue?

Does anyone know how to boot live USB Kali on a Samsung Chromebook?

I have created the bootable USB. When I plug it into my PC and select top boot from it, it just doesn't do a thing. It opens a black screen with a blinking _ , goes down one line and keeps blinking the _. That is all it does. Is there any fix to this, or can I at least know why this happens?

I have and issue with adding the persistence partition to my USB 32 GB. I installed Kali on a USB, and I can boot just fine, but when I try to run gparted, I get: invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/sda, and gparted exits after few more messages.
    If I run gparted /dev/sdc, gparted runs, and I can see the USB, but there is no unallocated space shown. Part at the beginning is yellow, and the rest is white, clearly empty, but it is not separated, so I can't use the empty space. I have searched online, and it appears that I need to unmount a partition and try to remount it somehow, but I don't know how.
    I have been a Windows user my whole life and just recently started working with Linux, so I am kind of lost. Any help is appreciated, especially if I can understand what is going on. I just installed Kali 1.0.7 x64 today on a USB and I am booting it on my laptop.
    Thank you.

every time I go to boot from the kali live usb it simply says error booting from kali/x20Live

Please tell me someone knows what is going on

How would you proceed if you'd want to remove KALI from the live USB in which it was installed?

Ok, so I have a live USB Kali drive that I've mostly just used to install Kali onto other machines. Today I decided to try and make it persistent and play around with that, and the setup works, and persistence seems to work, but it is AGONIZINGLY slow. I don't know if it's the PNY32gig I'm using, or some trick of persistence, or something weird that happened during the install processes, but it took an inordinately long time to reach the desktop on boot, iceweasel wouldn't even really open, and it's currently crawling through an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade at the speed of snail.

I'm kind of hoping that it's just the write nature of persistence, and that once I get things set up and boot it Live it'll run at a decent clip, but if it doesn't, should I maybe look at a different kind of USB for my Live boot, or just scrap the whole idea and stick with a dual boot laptop?

Hi,i'm new to Kali Linux, I prepare to install Kali using grub in my USB device (There are already CDLinux and Puppy in the device, so I don't want to erase my device.) I don't know how to write in menu.lst, can anyone please help me ?

Universal USB Installer is working too

Hey everyone
    I've been struggling to install Kali Linux on my pc since the past few days.
    Brief description of my laptop if that matters - Windows 8.1, 64-bit architecture. I've kept a separate partition for Kali Linux with allotted space of 22 GB.
    I've followed all the steps showed in Kali Linux Live USB Install. I've turned off secure boot and I'm not doing UEFI booting. I've set my USB on high priority in boot options. But still when I restart my laptop I'm unable to boot my USB. It just normally starts windows without showing me Kali Linux boot screen. I don't think that I am missing any said guidelines and instructions.
    Can anyone help me with above said problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaapyse View Post
    I have created the bootable USB. When I plug it into my PC and select top boot from it, it just doesn't do a thing. It opens a black screen with a blinking _ , goes down one line and keeps blinking the _. That is all it does. Is there any fix to this, or can I at least know why this happens?
    I'm stuck here too, tried Install, Graphical Install, LIVE USB and failsafe. None give me another response than the blinking _. Add to that, I get "fail beeps" when booting Kali Linux up from USB. When I use the arrow keys in the menus and hit the last line, it BEEPS loud. When it boots into this menu it beeps loud. When I've made a choice (i.e USB LIVE) it beeps.

I have disabled secure boot, added support for legacy devices, removed the win 8 profile and disabled fast boot.

The fact is that it seems to boot up, at least the menu boots up. From there it's dead. Any ideas?

I've tried Universal USB Installer, Rufus 1.4.9 and Win32 Disk Imager (although that didn't even work on Win 8.1).

Jaapyse, mind telling me a bit more about your hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaapyse View Post
    HI. Have you been able to solve this problem? No matter what i do I get the black screen with the blinking "-"
    I did the nomodeset, Nvidia.nomodeset=0,... It always does the same thing, black screen blinking -
    The .Iso is correct because the sha1sum is the same as the download page.

Quote Originally Posted by Morce13 View Post
    HI. Have you been able to solve this problem? No matter what i do I get the black screen with the blinking "-"
    I did the nomodeset, Nvidia.nomodeset=0,... It always does the same thing, black screen blinking -
    The .Iso is correct because the sha1sum is the same as the download page.
    I have the exact problem. I have tried changing the vga resolution, noveau/nvidia modesets, disabling kms, nothing works. I am quite a beginner so I might be missing something but this is quite frustrating as I haven't experienced this issue with other linux distributions. I hope someone can give us a solution

I've read about installing Kali to a USB with persistence. It uses an example with 5gb persistence. My question is; If I use a 32GB USB drive can I use the entire USB for a persistent install? That is after the install and the image uses X amount of the USB, can the remaining space of the 32GB be used for persistence? I hope this is clear enough. A round about way of asking, in effect, can I use my USB drive as if it is a HDD and add programs and whatever else to it and have it remember all changes across the whole sdb? I have tried a couple ways of installing to use my USB external HDD and they have failed. Even tried a VBox VM inside a Win 7 host and so far on each attempt have failed.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayank_07 View Post
    Hey everyone
    I've been struggling to install Kali Linux on my pc since the past few days.
    Brief description of my laptop if that matters - Windows 8.1, 64-bit architecture. I've kept a separate partition for Kali Linux with allotted space of 22 GB.
    I've followed all the steps showed in Kali Linux Live USB Install. I've turned off secure boot and I'm not doing UEFI booting. I've set my USB on high priority in boot options. But still when I restart my laptop I'm unable to boot my USB. It just normally starts windows without showing me Kali Linux boot screen. I don't think that I am missing any said guidelines and instructions.
    Can anyone help me with above said problem?
    +1. I am having the same problem. I have tried multiple tools to burn ISO to USB and all of them prompt a successful installation. However when I boot into BIOS, the USB (in which Kali Linux 1.0.8) is installed does not show up.
    Any Help Appreciated !!!

I downloaded kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64 and i want to install kali on uefi boot using usb
    I tried using win32 disk imager but when i boot from usb computer start booting again and again and does not proceed

OK, I don't know if I got a bad install ISO or what, but here's what I'm experiencing. I have the i386 .iso on an 8-GB flash drive. It runs OK in live on both my dual-core x64 processor and on my Celeron 2GHz single core. I want to install it to the Celeron (Acer Aspire). However:

1) Trying to install from live Kali desktop: it finds a kernel mismatch between the live kernel (686) and the installer kernel (486).\
    2) Trying to install from the singular 'install' option on the boot menu: First, it says there's an error reading from the CD-Rom. If I try to bypass that, it refuses to log on to the internet, even though it identifies it fine and I'm using the right passkey. If I tell it to do a non-network install, it gets about halfway through and goes back to saying the CD-ROM is corrupt or unreadable.

now this is the third flash drive I've tried this on, with a fresh download each time; hashes checked out OK each time, too.

I even got desperate and tried to do a custom build for a 486 version on Lubuntu, but that was a nightmare of conflicting repositories, etc.

So is there some problem with the current i386 .iso file? Or is it some kind of architectual mismatch?

I also tried using the mini .iso, but it suffered from the unable to log on to network function. If it's reading networks, and has the right ssid and passkey, why won't it log on?

So any help is appreciated.

BTW - took me six tries to get past the anti-spam to register here. The first four times, it gave me a green checkmark but still wouldn't let me through.

I'm having similar problems. I've downloaded the new Kali 1.0.8 i386 and created a live boot usb. But when I try to live boot with the usb I get only a black screen with blinking cursor. I have Kali 1.0.5 on another usb and it is working fine. But I'm having problem with the new version. I'm using windows 8.1 with uefi enabled (secure boot off). How to fix this problem with the new version?

Hello, i just installed Kali linux 1.0.9 to a flashdrive. The flashdrive works fine with kali linux! But when i take the usb stick away and try to restart my computer it just says "Welcome to GRUB!"

Error: no such device: ******* and a lot of letter and numbers
    Entering rescue mode ...
    grub rescue

I am unable to get into windows which was is my normal operation system....
    I tried to insert the USB, and when i booted via that one i was able to choose windows.... What is the problem that makes me unable to get direct into windows 7?
    Please help :-)

I am using an Asus G75VW Gaming Laptop running Windows 8.1

I have tried creating a bootable USB using the approach in this tutorial.

After restarting I selected the USB stick as my boot option. I was greeted by a red screen which said "Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup."

I changed the options in BIOS (or UEFI, whichever it is) to disable fast boot as well as secure boot. I then saved and exited.

I held down the esc key to choose my boot option as usual. The prompt asked me to choose my boot device. I chose the USB stick. I was then prompted with the same message. I chose the USB stick once again.

My computer then booted straight into Windows as if I told it to. Not sure what is wrong here. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jameshayek View Post
    I am using an Asus G75VW Gaming Laptop running Windows 8.1

I have tried creating a bootable USB using the approach in this tutorial.

After restarting I selected the USB stick as my boot option. I was greeted by a red screen which said "Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup."

I changed the options in BIOS (or UEFI, whichever it is) to disable fast boot as well as secure boot. I then saved and exited.

I held down the esc key to choose my boot option as usual. The prompt asked me to choose my boot device. I chose the USB stick. I was then prompted with the same message. I chose the USB stick once again.

My computer then booted straight into Windows as if I told it to. Not sure what is wrong here. Any suggestions?
    Silly question, but did you commit the changes when you disabled secure boot?

If you made the usb with dd, try the win32 program. It would not boot EFI for me after I made mine with dd but could use the win disk imager.

Check the SHA1SUM of the iso you made and make sure it is what is expected.

39. Quote Originally Posted by sashakt View Post
    I downloaded kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64 and i want to install kali on uefi boot using usb
    I tried using win32 disk imager but when i boot from usb computer start booting again and again and does not proceed
    If you just copy the .iso file to FAT32 or NTFS formatted USB drive, you will NOT be able to boot from it. So in short: You do not need to chose any file system, nor format your drive the way you are doing it. Before you start the drive can be any filesystem (NTFS or FAT32).
    More information on how to properly prepare Kali Live USB:

Info:

There seems to be an error in the script/description for creating USB persistence, found at http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...sb-persistence

The "size" variable doesn't describe the size of the persistence partition but the end of the new partition.

So if one want to use the remainder of the USB stick for persistence "size" roughly needs to be the size of the used USB stick.

Easiest way to do it is indeed Win32 Disk Imager to image Kali to a usb disk. Use new Kali Linux Live USB to boot system launch gparted to create a new partition (use all unallocated space) with ext4 as file system with label persistence then use the following commands.

mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/usb
    echo “/ union” >> /mnt/usb/persistence.conf
    umount /mnt/usb

Substitute /dev/sdc2 with the correct drive location of your usb. Most of the time its sdb3 but you still need to verify this though through gparted or dmesg.

Quote Originally Posted by mgso4 View Post
    Info:

There seems to be an error in the script/description for creating USB persistence, found at http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...sb-persistence

The "size" variable doesn't describe the size of the persistence partition but the end of the new partition.

So if one want to use the remainder of the USB stick for persistence "size" roughly needs to be the size of the used USB stick.
    Just found the same issue, here's some adjusted instructions:
    Code:
    iso_file=<path_to_iso>
    persist_size_mb=5000
    read iso_size_mb _ < <(du -bcm $iso_file |tail -1); echo $iso_size_mb
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $iso_size_mb $(echo $(( $iso_size_mb + $persist_size_mb )))
    mkfs.ext3 -L persistence /dev/sdb3
    mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
    mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb
    echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf
    umount /dev/sdb3

it's doesn't work .. my brother i tried ..before few minutes.

There is no god but You're Glory I oppressors

Hi guys. I've searched all over the web for a solution for my problem but no luck yet. Heres the thing. I tried to liverun Kali from a USB drive. Somewhere in the installation something went wrong, either I did something wrong or the installation crashed. I cant recall anymore. I reset the pc and after that the error missing OS kept coming back. Ive tried resetting the BIOS. Ive tried system recovery, which gives the same error. Ive tried booting from my win7 install disc (pirate, fking preinstalled win8 made me do it), but this says that the disc is not compatible. So now im doubting if its maybe 32 bit instead of 64. Downloaded 32 bit iso, doesnt even boot to setup. Again missing OS. Downloaded 32 and 64 bit setup, no os. Live cd kali: no os. Usb boot, no os. The only option i seem to have is that cd which says not compatible, so i cant repair but only wipe clean and fresh install. This, i rather wont do for the loss of files. Also tried different settings in BIOS (lagacy and uefi). Any other options to pervent full wipe? Your input in greatly appreciated. Btw im running on a sony vaio.

I am trying to install Kali on a Dell Inspiron Mini. My problem is every time I try to boot it up via Live USB there is no operating system or it is corrupt. I used Win32 Disk Imager as the instructions state. Win32 Disk Imager corrupted one of my thumb drives, so I have not tried it again. I used UNetbootin to make my 2nd Live USB. I get an error stating Invalid or corrupt kernel image, after UNetbootin loads. Any ideas?

Fixed it!
    Last edited by Jayden_Blade; 2014-10-27 at 05:32.

Throwing my hat in here as another noob encountering install problems. I can run Kali fine in Virtualbox, but can't seem to get it to boot from USB. Don't pass go- no Live persistence, etc.... and I've been running into the same problems over and over, which so far the main issue seems to be that the hardware I'm trying to install on is EFI-based Macbooks (3 of them, older but 64-bit: 2 plain white MBs and one MB Pro). I have scoured the Mac install threads here, looking on Ubuntu, Debian and other Linux webpages for other ways to create bootable USBs or dual boots.

One of the problems was that the Macbooks firmware was too ancient (running 10.6.8) but I got around this by upgrading the two older ones to 10.7.5, and now they are running Ubuntu just fine (have the old OSX HDs cloned in case I need to go back for something). At this stage the alternative boot recognized the USB and started to boot from it, but now the recurring error is no graphics found- resorting to blind mode (sorry no screenshot available, but will write it down next time). Kind of an important hurdle, to be able to see what options you are installing. Its a big improvement that the system is finding the linux kernel, but making it work is the next step.

I want to wipe out my OSX install with a clean Kali install, but right now, I can't even get the Live USB to work. Should I try to do this from Ubuntu, or put OSX back on and keep look for new ways to get around EFI, worrying that one small grub config change will mess everything up? I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I have been working on this one for almost a month now.

i have a Z400 Dual Xeon W3505 Workstation ive been attempting to put kali linux on. i get GUI selection to work but thats about it. if i select ANY selection, cursor blink top right for infinite amount of time (went to sleep, still there). this happens on both x86, and AMD64. but im glad i came here, i ahve been using rufus and LiLi to make my usb iso installs. so hopefully Win32 Disk Imager will work. if anyoen else has quick insight or tid bits feel free to share!

cuando le doy en instalar me aparece una pantalla negra y no sale de hay que puedo hacer

Hey im install kali live usb update some program and download some file. when restart the system all of them will be remove. Can i save file and my works ? is is possible ?

i am trying to install kali on my macbookpro 8.1 through usb as my superdrive is broken, i tried many usb and usb iso tools but in refind when i select to boot from the usb it shows no bootable drive found but on startup if i press option key and boot to the efi mode it says no suitabe video mode found booting in blind mode and it goes to the kali startup screen and if i select other username:root pass:toor it says authentication failure.