Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

When you write an ISO image to a USB, it is immutable, an ISO is a complete image, and you cannot change anything on it once it is written.

To get persistence, you would need to create another partition in the remaining space left on your USB drive, and it is this extra partition that can then be set up to 'persist' any changes you make, without any writable room on the USB there is nowhere for any changes to be stored..

Hi, did you actually add persistence to the drive before? -> https://www.kali.org/docs/usb/usb-persistence/

I have a HP Pavilion 15-ec2xxx gaming laptop and its by default and fixed with secure boot and no legacy boot option. When I tried to make a barebone kali install it would start for a few seconds and then immediately shut kali down and boot windows. The other way around was to use EFI but the certificate that came with kali by default will not work if you have any suggestions please help.

If you have a gaming laptop, I'm going to assume you have it to play games in Windows, and as a gaming laptop has lotys RAM and a fast CPU why not run it in a VM its less painful..

I wanted a better system for cracking and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    If you have a gaming laptop, I'm going to assume you have it to play games in Windows, and as a gaming laptop has lotys RAM and a fast CPU why not run it in a VM its less painful..
    I wanted to go bare metal cause i wanted a machine that can do a better job in password cracking and also convert my gaming laptop into a high power crack station kinda machine for regular operations using a vm was more than enough but for password cracking, Fuzzing, AI training, etc its not powerful enough

Hi guys,

I have been using my live usb with persistence for about 6 months now and I really like my current config. Is it possible to install my setup to disk? There is an option from the live usb to install to hard drive but will it save my configuration?

Thanks!