Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

I'm using Win 7 x64 and can't use Kali Linux Live USB Install tutorial because Win32 Disk Imager doesn't work.
    But with Universal USB Installer everything works great, so maybe it's time to update article?

Quote Originally Posted by zniki.ru View Post
    I'm using Win 7 x64 and can't use Kali Linux Live USB Install tutorial because Win32 Disk Imager doesn't work.
    But with Universal USB Installer everything works great, so maybe it's time to update article?

I agree Universal USB Insaller worked perfect fo windows... Does a Kail Team member own Win32 Disk Imager? If not, i dont see why you guys dont remove it from the article. Ive been at it since Chriistmas eve trying to beat that black screen with a blinking cursor issue on a dual boot with Windows 8.1 .
    (Added Keywords hoping to help people who ewere in my situation.

Happy Holidays guys

I need some help installing kali using the dd command, I only have machines running linux so I can't create a the bootable usb on windows,
    so far i tried

dd if = /home/myusername/Desktop/kali.iso of = /dev/sdb bs = 512k,

command above is not working since that's not the path of my usb drive, I need help finding the path. I tried using dmesg | grep -i usb but i get too many stuff and I don't seeem to find the path of the usb,
    please help thanks.

I'm planning to install kali on an external drive wich has 2 partitions. The first one is all my important data. The second partition i created is a 30GB FAT partition.
    diskutil list prompts the following:

/dev/disk2
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500GB disk2
    1: EFI EFI 209MB disk2s1
    2: Apple_HFS myDisk 464GB disk2s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data KALI 35GB disk2s3

Can I use the IDENTIFIER with the dd command ? I tried the IDENTIFIER with the diskutil unmountdisk but it unmounted both partitions( myDisk,KALI).

help

try the "diskutil list" command. It wil prompt all the disks mounted. Your usb should be something like /dev/disk2 or 3 or whatever.

Hi, Brian --

The best way to identify the path for the USB drive you want to target is to perform the command

fdisk -l

without the USB drive inserted, and then again with it inserted. You'll see which device is now there and wasn't previously. Note that this command shows you the path to the partitions, which look like "/dev/sda1", "/dev/sdb2", or (on my Kali system) "/dev/mmcblk0p1" and "/dev/mmcblk0p2".

The device path, which is what you want here, is the part that all the partitions have in common: "/dev/sdb" in the first case and "/dev/mmcblk0" in the second. So when I flash a USB drive on my Kali system, the command is something like

dd if=/path/to/my/Kali.iso of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k

I exactly followed the official guide, created usb, installed refind, refind detects usb however when i press enter in refind i get black screen with the text, : no bootable device -- insert boot device press any key... help

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and I am trying to get the Kali Linux Live to USB setup. I have followed the directions and downloaded the 64bit ISO and verified the sha1 hash. All looks good. I used Win32 Disk Imager to create an image on a USB stick. I booted from the stick and went with Graphical Install but I get the "Error Reading Release File" and unable to mount CD-ROM.

I tried Universal-USB-Installer and UNetbootin, all of which result in the same error.

Anyway to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Sadly this version of Kali Linux seems to be pretty broken.

What I have tried so far is to write it to a 16Gb memory stick from an Arch Linux installation using dd, dcfldd (Forensic accurate version of dd)
    These attempts all had the same outcome, the computer stopped at boot with a blinking cursor after selecting boot from USB (HP EliteBook 8540p)

Taking it into Windows, the first attempt at writing it from Win32USB, same result as I achieved in Linux with dd, stuck at blinking cursor.
    However, if we change up and use "Universal USB installer" version 1.5.9.4, the ISO will boot, but it will never start X server and as such you are left at the command line.
    From there I tried reviving it, but no dice as I have no idea how it is meant to be set up.

Trying the latest Universal USB Installer, everything goes to pot, and it halts the system during the loading of the Linux kernel, claiming the XZ compression is corrupt.

This leads me to believe something is seriously wrong with this release of Kali Linux.

Why should one follow the procedure for "USB persistence" rather than install Kali to USB as if it is a hard drive? Is it not better to treat it as a HD so that the persistence container doesn't keep growing forever?

ITT, lots of questions, very few answers. What gives?

For what it's worth, I am trying to dual boot on osx. I've got rEFInd installed fine, and am trying to boot from USB. I've tried unetbootin, win32, and straight through terminal to create the live disk, but I always get the black screen after choosing kali in boot manager: "no boot disk detected"

Agree with Sweeper!
    Using UUI 1.5.9.8 with Kali 1.0.9a had worked well in UEFI mode, dual booting with windows. But the latest release seems to be broken or the EFI boot files are not working as desired. Tried Win32USB, UUI 1.5.9.4, UUI 1.5.9.9, unetbootin, and even dd command to make a bootable USB. But it doesn't boot up in UEFI mode and stuck at a blank screen. And when the same usb is used in Legacy mode, the USB boots up with the kali boot menu..

One thing to note here, I tried the same procedure with Vmware workstation 11. Setup a normal partition for kali linux without the kali iso and enabled UFI boot from the menu. Then tried to install it from the same bootable pendrive. And yes, it worked absolutely fine! ..

Can someone please identify what's wrong with original laptop's boot setting with secure mode disabled.

I'm running via DVD. I now want to make a USB Kali. I have data running from reaver-wifite. Is it possible to backup the saved data. Then put it back when I USB boot? Or must I start from scratch. Where is this data stored when running off a DVD. Thank you. Maxi

thank you very much!!
    mi blog de creditos rapidos

Change language on USB key Kali Linux with persistence

Hi, I'm new, I just created a USB key Kali Linux with persistence. My problem is that the systems settings are not saved (display language) but others are saved, such as wifi settings. Does anyone know how to do?

Thanks.

I am completely new to this so please be patient with me. And feel free to tell me what i am doing wrong

I torrented the Kali Linux 64 bit. and unzipped it to my computer (windows 7 64bit). I then used win32 disk imager to write it on my 15gb usb. Here is where my questions begin.
    1. what is the name of the file I am suppose to put onto the usb only efi and initrd show up when i try to use win32
    2. I have tried using both of them but when i restarted my computer it would say operating system not found.

If you can help me that would be wonderful

i Have a problem with changing the language of kali i can save every setting on the usb but if i change the language and reboot it it still is in english but i want it to be in german.
    i hope you can help.

Hello,
    I followed the instructions step by step and installed kali-linux 64bit in two usb sticks (4gb and 8gb). When i am trying to boot from the stick - setting the priority device to usb - nothing is happening it's just boot to windows 8.1 normally. When i go into the boot menu option and press the option to boot from usb it says "selected boot image did not authenticate". The other problem is that when i formatted my USB stick (8GB usb stick) is now 2.97Gb and the rest space is unallocated, but i cannot merge or partition it again. I do not care about the stick for the moment but i would like to reallocate the 8gb so i can use it to correctly install kali-linux live and boot from the stick.

What am i doing wrong? Is there an additional step that is not in the page? --> http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

I'm getting this error when installing from USB
    The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/ .
    Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.
    How to resolve it? I tried the solution mentioned in the OP of this thread. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...arget-quot-Fix

Quote Originally Posted by monakons View Post
    Hello,
    I followed the instructions step by step and installed kali-linux 64bit in two usb sticks (4gb and 8gb). When i am trying to boot from the stick - setting the priority device to usb - nothing is happening it's just boot to windows 8.1 normally. When i go into the boot menu option and press the option to boot from usb it says "selected boot image did not authenticate". The other problem is that when i formatted my USB stick (8GB usb stick) is now 2.97Gb and the rest space is unallocated, but i cannot merge or partition it again. I do not care about the stick for the moment but i would like to reallocate the 8gb so i can use it to correctly install kali-linux live and boot from the stick.

What am i doing wrong? Is there an additional step that is not in the page? --> http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    You shouldn't have formatted it. You should try the solutions on this page: http://superuser.com/questions/38224...-8gb-size-back

Also use Win32 Disk Imager to create a live-usb on only one USB drive, the 8GB one.

Impossible to login with root:toor ?

Am I crazy ? Start live USB fresh from ISO Kali 1.1.0, login as root, typing toor as passowrd et replay is "Login Incorrect"

We may help ?

Thanks, Very helpfully ..

installation stops when it reaches 9% while copying data to HD..
    pleaes help!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    Hello, i'm tying to install Kali on a usb key but i'm not able to.

I downloaded the iso (i tried 32 and 64...), i tried many tools : unetboot, win32 disk manager, linux live USB creator universal linux boot... But everytime when i tried to boot on the key, it's not working, the boot is not detected, i tried the key on 3 computers and it's the same.

This is how i do :
    - i format the key using SD formatter
    - i run a boot creator program ( unetboot, Linux live USB creator...) then i follow the process, i add the iso file then start... I wait until the program says it's done.
    - Retart the computer change the boot priority to usb.

But it does'nt start, the key is not detected as bootable...

What's wrong ? Can you help ?
    T
    Hi did you have any luck ?? I have the same thing .. just wont boot up . I get a single line of text _ but no boot !

for me all ok, thanks

No Grub (booting)

I did try to install my non-PAE - Kali from USB but after the installation went OK, Grub or Lilli could not be installed (whyever).

If I try grub-install /dev/sda after chroot /mnt I get the error grub: command not found.

Meanwhlie I added Grub4Dos with a puppy-USB.iso but at booting without USB on sda1 I get the error:

[ 1.784307] --- end] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]
    [ 32.187475] random: nonblocking pool is initialized

As Grub can not be installed on nonPAE-Hardware even with non-PAE-Kali.iso (what is a bug).

What shall I do ? Please help !
    Last edited by kalinopae; 2015-06-20 at 09:58.

complete installation guide for kali

the process for install kali is not so critical. it is very easy process and only needs proper guidence and some small time. a small mistake can harm your laptop. you can follow this post. post published in may 2015 so there are less chances of error and tested on windows platform. please go to http://moonkinghackersclub.blogspot....rtual-box.html

Recompiled kernel on live USB won't boot; trouble with GRUB ?

I am a newbie to Kali. I have a live install on a 16GB USB, kernel 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae, that I have been running on a Dell Inspiron for a few months. This always boots fine, although when I created it GRUB installed some code into the boot partition on the HDD. (Ideally I had wanted a stand alone live USB that started via the one-time boot menu and a standalone PC that booted directly to WinXP ).

I have now recompiled and installed a new kernel on the same USB stick following the instructions given at https://Informationtreasure.wordpres...i-linux-kernel. The commands given there worked for me while those in the Kali docs did not. The new kernel is called 3.18.6.

When I try to boot to 3.18.6 I get the splash screen and then see

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... No relocation needed... done.
    Booting the kernel.
    Loading, please wait...
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

and then it tells me some modprobe modules are missing:
    i8042
    atkbd
    ehci-pci
    ehci-orion
    ehci-hcd
    uhci-hcd
    ohci-hcd
    usbhid

And then I am dropped to BusyBox. I have sat at the (initramfs) prompt for minute and then typed "exit" but I do not escape from BusyBox, I just get more (initramfs) prompt, one after the other. I have done some googling around and tried the "all_generic_IDE" and "replace UUID with /dev/sdb1 etc" style fixes in grub.cfg but they did not solve my problem.

On the USB under /boot I can see two config files, two initrd.img files, two system.maps and two vmlinuz files with either 3.18.0 or 3.18.6 added to the name. There is one grub.cfg file under /boot/grub that contains the two scripts shown below. I have substituted /dev/sdb1 for the original UUIDs in the linux lines.

menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.18.6' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    load_video
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9d56b544-4352-4342-bb7a-147b4cfe3c0f
    echo 'Loading Linux 3.18.6 ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.6 root=/dev/sdb1 ro forcepae quiet
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.18.6
    }
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    load_video
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9d56b544-4352-4342-bb7a-147b4cfe3c0f
    echo 'Loading Linux 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.0-kali3-686-pae root=/dev/sdb1 ro forcepae quiet
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-kali3-686-pae
    }

I have not reproduced above the two Kali recovery mode scripts, that appear identical to each other, or the WInXP script.

The 3.18.0 kernel was installed using GRUB while the instructions I followed for 3.18.6 used GRUB2. I can also see a Vmlinuz and a initrd.img file in the filesystem folder right at the bottom of the page in file manager. Oddly, I cannot find these two files in a terminal. Adding ABC to the end of their file names did not prevent 3.18.0 from booting.

Can anyone tell me what to do to make the 3.18.6 kernel boot ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elie SAND View Post
    Impossible to login with root:toor ?

Am I crazy ? Start live USB fresh from ISO Kali 1.1.0, login as root, typing toor as passowrd et replay is "Login Incorrect"

We may help ?
    I had exactly the same problem. I built a live USB with kernel 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae. In the middle of this process I was asked to choose a 'username' (the default was 'kali') and provide a username password, and a second password to use with MySQL.

I could not log in with root:toor or username:username password. Eventually I found I could log in with root:username password. Not immediately obvious, but it worked.

Asus z97-pro(wifi ac) and M.2 SSD issue.
    Did anybody manage to install Kali on M.2 SSD disk?
    I am trying whole day and nothing. Only errors.....
    ata1: hard resetting link
    or
    sata link down (sstatus ffffffff scontrol ffffffff)

I have feeling that Kali cant see my M.2 SSD hard disk!
    Any advice.
    Last edited by stealthbyroot; 2015-07-06 at 11:11. Reason: typos

I have an issue with getting my laptop to boot from the live USB. I changed the order in the BIOS to boot from the drive and I get an error message about invalid signature and checking the boot security level. I disabled secure boot and still no joy. I'm using an ASUS X200M 64bit Intel. I want to install Kali as a dual boot and minimize windows 8 to as miniscule a presence on this device as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

I created USB using a dd command, even tried a 'nomodeset' flag and also fail safe boot, but every time I end up with black screen, no cursor, no barely visible login screen, nothing just black screen. I have a Lenovo y560 ideapad laptop with radeon graphics. PS I am running ubuntu 14.04 just fine.

Wrote kali 2.0 amd64 iso into USB hard drive, tried to run it on MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).
    First try: just black screen, no cursor, nothing.
    Second and next tries: small loader window in the screen corner, no keyboard/mouse support, nothing happens.

What I'm doing wrong?

i've problem with installing kali 2.0 by usb flash i didn't have this problem with previous version
    when i try to install it looks for cd in dvd-rom and says there is no cd
    why can i install it from usb?
    Last edited by Puma827; 2015-08-14 at 07:47.
    Net-Hunter

Okay, I have tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions on USB using both dd and Rufus and I STILL cannot get Kali to load at boot on either of my laptops. What's worse, Kali 1.0 isn't updating correctly and over half the packages I search for to upgrade it come up 404. I couldn't even get AirCrack to to install. I'm seriously considering setting things on fire right now.

I had this issue at first. I formatted the USB stick BEFORE doing the dd and that KIND of worked, but I'm still getting either "Error loading OS" or "Linux.bin is missing or corrupt"

Thank you muts

I m new here and attempting to put kali 2.0 on a USB the UUI works fine and my bios sees the USB as bootable, my problem is nothing happens with the USB and the laptop reverts back to windows.

I don't have a linux system up and running and was hoping to give kali 2.0 a try. I had a ubuntu desktop for a while but am trying to make a bootable USB. Using both windisk32 and UUI the ISO writes to the USB just fine. The bios even sees the USB as bootable but when I put it in the first position there is a pause at boot up when the laptop tries to use the USB then it kicks back over to the HDD. Is there something I might be missing? I have downloaded Kali 2.0 3 times now straight from the website but still nothing works. I have even tried using different OS' when UUI asks me which one. Ubuntu runs fine from the drive but no matter how I set up the USB kali will not boot to the live version.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfabdaddy View Post
    I don't have a linux system up and running and was hoping to give kali 2.0 a try. I had a ubuntu desktop for a while but am trying to make a bootable USB. Using both windisk32 and UUI the ISO writes to the USB just fine. The bios even sees the USB as bootable but when I put it in the first position there is a pause at boot up when the laptop tries to use the USB then it kicks back over to the HDD. Is there something I might be missing? I have downloaded Kali 2.0 3 times now straight from the website but still nothing works. I have even tried using different OS' when UUI asks me which one. Ubuntu runs fine from the drive but no matter how I set up the USB kali will not boot to the live version.
    First read post here on forum. This problem is mention in
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Kali-2-0-error
    it is not possible to make working boot usb on Windows system with full version of Kali 2.0 and most common used tools for this. Only way for this is from Linux system and dd command.
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    Second. Full versions of Kali 2.0 have a lot extra steps to install it correctly, and I suggest you to download and install Light version
    of Kali 2.0 which you can update later to full version.
    Last edited by duxim; 2015-08-16 at 07:36.

Tryed to install with Win 32 Disk Imager. Iso not recognized.

Any solution possible?

Thanks.

JeanK

Quote Originally Posted by JeanK View Post
    Tryed to install with Win 32 Disk Imager. Iso not recognized.

Any solution possible?

Thanks.

JeanK
    First of all always verify SHA1Sum of downloaded iso image. Use torrent to download it. If it is ok then go to prepare usb.
    With this Kali 2.0 you have only two possible working ways to create boot usb.
    1.) with Win 32 Disk Imager from windows (read post https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Kali-2-0-error)
    2.) on another Linux system with dd command

After booting from USB, I have Kali boot option, but when I enter option... CAPS LOCK is blinking and freeze like this...

Hey I'm trying to install on my t200 asus TabletPC. I got the USB boot fine I tested on my main PC and it works fine. I made sure it was 32bit but whenever i boot it up it seems to not work and send me back to bios almost instantly.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello, i am not sure how to put this but i have downloaded the "x64" of the Version 2 of kali and trying to make a new USB install. However, when i try to put the USB into my laptop port and tell it to boot from the USB, it gives me this message:

Please remove all media

Or something similar to it. What am i doing wrong? Would really like to install the version 2 onto my laptop. Thanks!

I'm planning on setting up Kali on a live USB however I have a question regarding the persistence partition. The documentation example uses an 8gb USB as an example. If I have a 16gb USB, and create a persistence partition, does unused memory have any impact or should I just go ahead and take up most of the remaining space("end=15gb")?

Also, do I need to reformat the USB drive from it's default FAT32 format?(there's no mention of formatting on the documentation but I'd like to check anyway)

So I've created a Kali Bootable USB drive using this guide

The iso I downloaded was kali-Linux-2.0-i386.iso.

Now I'm trying to add USB Persistence with LUKS encryption by following this guide

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...sb-persistence

When I try to create the partition in the empty space above the live partition using these commands (I'm substituting kali-Linux-2.0-i386.iso for kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso)

end=7gb
    read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

I get the following error

du: cannot access 'kali-Linux-2.0-i386.iso': No such file or directory.

Can anyone help out where I'm going wrong here.

Cheers

Fatz

How can i save system and wifi settings between sessions? I have Live USB Kali 2.0 with persistence, and files that i save are perfectly okay, but entering wifi password each time is pretty annoying. And I also want to add second keyboard layout (not english), but it won't be stored between sessions too.

Hi new here needed some help on Live USB. Ive tried to create a live usb with several different programs: Rufus, Unetbootin, Win32 Imager, LiLi and Universal USB. Ive got it working in a vm but loses some fuctionality and wanted to see if my card can capture or if if I will have to buy an external wifi usb. Ive tried different versions of Kali including the mini and full. Im using Windows 10 and no matter what it will not boot, I have tried a couple different usb drives and did shift click on restart went to uefi boot to change bios settings and turned on legacy, turned off secure mode but it will still not let me boot from usb. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Daniel Ortega

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurrrderp View Post
    How can i save system and wifi settings between sessions? I have Live USB Kali 2.0 with persistence, and files that i save are perfectly okay, but entering wifi password each time is pretty annoying. And I also want to add second keyboard layout (not english), but it won't be stored between sessions too.
    I see the same problem: installed Kali 2.0 on USB-Stick and added LUKS-encrypted persistence partition. In the mean time I have updated the system with aptitude update/upgrade. I can create a file in HOME but this is not persistent.

I have mounted the luksOpen-ed persistence partition under Archlinux and I see updated packages (but I have not verified, if they are realy used).

What to do to store files persistent in the HOME and to create configs (e.g. locale and keymap)?

Ciao,

Photor