Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

Hello all,

I did the whole procedure again and tested all steps by hand cross checking everything using the booted Kali-system. Now I have crypto-persistence on the USB-stick.

I could not identify the error made before. Now it works and that counts.

Happy,

Photor

I tried installing Kali Linux in USB, when I boot from USB it shows some directories Only.

I follow this link http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    I Download "Kali Linux 64 bit" image from here https://www.kali.org/downloads/

I have HP 15 Notebook.
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4210U
    RAM: 12 GB

I have tried these software's to boot my USB

1. Win32DiskImager
    2. Universal USB Installer
    3. LinuxLive USB Creator
    4. PowerISO
    5. Rufus
    6. UltraISO
    Last edited by haider885; 2015-09-12 at 20:35.

so im trying to make a usb persistent. ive made 2 usbs with kali because you cant work on the partition you booted onto. so i have one to run kali live(A) and make partition changes to the other(B). when i boot off (A), the one i want to keep(B) seems to lose its whole file structure. instead of all the folders you get when you go to the '/' directory, it shows me the contents of whats normally in /lib/live/mnt/persistence/sdb1. this is immediately after boot on (A) and i insert (B). thats as far as i got because when i tried to follow the kali docs, minus the encryption part(i dont really need that), then umount and reboot to (B), im left with a black screen and a little blinking underscore. any ideas about that one guys?

Hey,
    I've tried install from Live USB pendrive, but after installing all the files, grub was failed to install..
    What should I do ???

Try might try using boot-repair-disk to install grub. You can also run this from USB or CD. The instructions are on the "Home" tab of the webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by loneboy View Post
    Hey,
    I've tried install from Live USB pendrive, but after installing all the files, grub was failed to install..
    What should I do ???
    Try might try using boot-repair-disk to install grub. You can also run this from USB or CD. The instructions are on the "Home" tab of the webpage.

Hey Guys every time I try to boot from my USB I get a black screen for about 20 sec then windows boots. Any suggestions?

Backup Files

I am currently running Windows 8.1. I was wondering if I should back up all my files before booting Kali Linux from a usb?

9. i've got the same trouble, i can't install it from a USB. Please help me!!!!!! I really need it. Thanks alot

10. I try to do it but it's seem to be impossible, please help me

Hi guys.
    I am running Windows 8 on a HP Pavilion and i have down loaded Kali to my flash drive but windows won't let me load it.
    I have gone in to bios and disabled secure boot but it will not let me change the boot priority to my USB.
    Also i get the a screen where i get this *.* looking thing that will not let me go any further.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks..

Good afternoon,

I have previously installed Kali in Oracle VM but I want it on my main desktop as a dual boot with Windows 7. I have downloaded the .iso several times from the site (both mirrored and torrent links) and the ISO seems to be ok...but I cant install. I run the software from the USB, it tells me to reboot, but when I go to install it it is looking for a CD and wont let me continue. How do I get around this error?

After installin kali on usb and open it , after thet when i remove the usb and restart the pc , is everything in normaly there ? Nothing change ? Anything dangerous ?

Hey,
    I installed Kali 2.0 on my USB-Stick. I can start Grup and pick the point start kali live.
    So he starts to boot kali live, but after a few seconds he's stopping with a black screen and a short white line on the left side.
    Can you help me? While Kali is booting, I noticed that he's going through a checklist. I saw a failed on the point: "failed to start open vulnerability assessment system scanner daemon".
    Is that maybe the reason for the Interruption?

I tried the ISO in Oracle VM and it works. So the ISO is fine.
    Also I installed Kali in many ways with win32diskimager , Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.6.1 and rufus on diffrent usb sticks.

My PC Specs:
    Intel i7-5820K - 3,3 Ghz, AsRock Fatality X99 Killer,3.1, Crucial 16GB DDR4-RAM, GTX 980 Gaming 4G 4096MB GDDR5, Windows 10 Education

I tried everything.

Please please help me

Hello folks, I'm trying to install Kali 2.0 on my iMac. My problem is when I go to install Kali from the live USB, I cannot see the entire installer screen, the very bottom and right hand side of the installer window is off the screen. I see no way of resizing or moving the window and I do not want to continue the install unless I can see what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonRenardson View Post
    Hello folks, I'm trying to install Kali 2.0 on my iMac. My problem is when I go to install Kali from the live USB, I cannot see the entire installer screen, the very bottom and right hand side of the installer window is off the screen. I see no way of resizing or moving the window and I do not want to continue the install unless I can see what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.
    It did the same thing on my windows based Lenovo notebook, instead of booting to live kali to install, use graphical installation and it will be centered

ext2 faster than ext4 ?

I seem to have better performance with KL2 on a formatted fat32/ext2 USB2 key than with ext4.

With an ext4 it used to lock up often making operation very slow and frustrating. Can anyone confirm?
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

Well, i guess something of the kind has been observed from what I've seen so far ...
    But still, it's all about the experiment's details. And you know who's usually hiding among those details)

I am trying to instal kali linux on my laptop using an image placed into a bootable USB key. On the same HDD I already have (freshly) installed windows 7 and ubuntu 15.04. I keep getting the same installation error at the install the system step. I tried both the CLI and graphical installation options, both failed at the same step. Here you can find the debug logs. Any hint on how to fix/overcome this issue?

hardware-summary: http://pastebin.com/sCAQ76rg
    partman: http://pastebin.com/fk8EKRv8 + http://pastebin.com/zEN5L4EA
    syslog: http://pastebin.com/aeZZbkZm

21. thanks you so much
    Goovet - C?ng ty thuốc thu y h?ng đầu Việt Nam ch?ng t?i tự h?o mang tới những sản phẩm chất lượng nhất cho nhu cầu của kh?ch h?ng

i have this problem:
    SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD 20150013 Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
    Boot error
    I have tried both with the file downloaded from torrent and the one directly from the site, I tried to make the usb:
    dd
    unetbootin
    startup disk creator

I got kali 2.0 to work on macbook pro 2015 using Mac linux USB loader (to burn on USB) and refind to boot into the volume. I enabled persistency (through Mac Linux USB loader), but it doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to achieve persistence?

I have downloaded both kali-linux-2.0-i386 32bit and 64bit iso using the torrent link in the official download page, but I am having issues on both.
    first is the 64bit iso, I am not able to run it on my system when i start to boot it using live usb it just shows me a sort of blinking cursor and nothing else. With the 32 bit iso, the shasum key failed to match so I did not use it to create a 32bit live usb. Where can i directly download a 32bit iso with no issues? Thanks!

i need your help
    i want to make live kali linux USB but after making USB bootable my machine (presario CQ-57 is not listing anu USB/flash drive. up to my best knowledge it have to do something with Bios (Secure Boot & Legacy Boot) which my system is not showing even upgrading bios.Your kind guidance is required in this regard please
    i am currently running 64 win 7 and have downloded kali 2.0 64

How can i install Kali linux USB. I use a Mac Book air and have a problem to install it?

Last night I downloaded the Kali ISO and used win32 to put it on a 16gb thumbdrive and then went to bed. Today I put the thumb drive back in the computer and attempted to boot to Kali, nothing happened so I tried restarting the computer. Still nothing happened... So I tried to view the thumb drive and got a message that it needed formatted. I knew that ment Id loose everything on the thumb drive but I thought maybe something went wrong on install lastnight so id try over. After the format its now showing the thumb drive is empty but only has 3 GB of space? Im not sure how this happened or why?

Hi all. Been beating my head against this for about three weeks now... I've tried several methods to try and get a live USB to boot my macbook and none have worked. I dd'd it from Arch, which on boot just made it freeze, I dd'd it from OSX, which was still readable when the dd was done, which warned me, but after dd'ing multiple times, it was always the same, and same result at boot as dd'ing from Arch. I tried Mac Linux USB bootloader, which couldn't find the grubx64.efi... One thing that might be relevant is that diskutil unmount on OSX does not work, it prompts me to use diskutil unmountDisk. Anybody who has any tips for me would make me a very happy man...

I am using the live usb but for some reason when metasploit says its placed the payload in the root/.msf4/ etc I cannot seem to find the folder. Is it only viewable if Kali has been installed instead of running it off of the usb ?

I have downloaded Kali Linux 2.0 x64 Intel architecture, and have written the image to USB with win32 imager. Now I want to make it encrypted persistent live USB, for which in the tutorial here http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...sb-persistence, in the first step, it tells to create a partition, which I am not able to. I don't understand the second command, which tells to read start, in this do I have to write the location of the iso, which is in my HDD, or do I have to copy the iso in my PD? Please tell, how to do it, if I login from Kali Linux USB, and my iso is located on the HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by lernaean_hydra View Post
    Hi all. Been beating my head against this for about three weeks now... I've tried several methods to try and get a live USB to boot my macbook and none have worked. I dd'd it from Arch, which on boot just made it freeze, I dd'd it from OSX, which was still readable when the dd was done, which warned me, but after dd'ing multiple times, it was always the same, and same result at boot as dd'ing from Arch. I tried Mac Linux USB bootloader, which couldn't find the grubx64.efi... One thing that might be relevant is that diskutil unmount on OSX does not work, it prompts me to use diskutil unmountDisk. Anybody who has any tips for me would make me a very happy man...
    I have the same exact problem. Does anybody know what we're doing wrong? I just used Win32DiskImager to write the .iso file to my USB (16 GB), reset in advanced startup mode, and tried to boot from USB. It didn't work so I decided to format the USB and retry, except the USB only has 3 GB now. I'm running x64 Windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used the dd command in ubuntu to create the live usb. When I tried to boot from the usb it said Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bgilman9100 View Post
    I used the dd command in ubuntu to create the live usb. When I tried to boot from the usb it said Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks.
    it could be different reason.you did not wrote what type of bios you use
    first thing is to check sha1sum of downloaded Kali iso is it ok.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

How do I check that? I don't see why the iso wouldn't be okay I downloaded it from their website and used dd using their tutorial. I have an msi motherboard if that helps with the BIOS question.

Quote Originally Posted by AABoyles View Post
    I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?
    When the install balks about the CD/DVD not being found,
    pull the pen drive out, wait ten seconds and reinsert the
    pen drive. Again wait ten seconds and then select 'Continue'.

I found this on another website, have no idea why it works
    but thus far it has worked three out of three times.

VI

Hello everyone. I have a linux mint in luks encrypted. When do I start my usb live persistence encrypt kali linux boot it on my hard drive and asks me the password to my hard drive rather than the USB key ... an idea?

hello my usb live persistence encrypt boot in my dd or not boot in my usb... help please

Hello there!
    I've installed the last version of Kali ISO to USB drive. It works well in live, BUT with many troubles: BeEF doesn't work properly, maltego doesn't launch and many others issues with different programs.
    I tried installing it from live to USB, but it fails every time.
    Please, I'm desperate.

Hi, I have a working kali 2.0 bootable usb, which works on my old laptop, now I have bought a new one and when booting from usb I get to the kali selection menu correctly, I can select persistence, failsafe...it starts loading correctly but then at a certan point I get this strange pcieport error and I keep error messages.P_20160214_142927.jpg
    Bios is American Megatrends version 302. Only thing I can think of is that this new laptop has 3.1 usb which the other one did not have.
    Please let me know if further information could be helpful.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by jack_8; 2016-02-14 at 15:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_8 View Post
    Hi, I have a working kali 2.0 bootable usb, which works on my old laptop, now I have bought a new one and when booting from usb I get to the kali selection menu correctly, I can select persistence, failsafe...it starts loading correctly but then at a certan point I get this strange pcieport error and I keep error messages.P_20160214_142927.jpg
    Bios is American Megatrends version 302. Only thing I can think of is that this new laptop has 3.1 usb which the other one did not have.
    Please let me know if further information could be helpful.
    Thank you!
    The last time I saw an issue like this it ended up being bios related. Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your bios and upgrade it first before proceeding then try to run it again. The fact that it runs at all rules out your 3.1 usb theory in my mind, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jfranco View Post
    The last time I saw an issue like this it ended up being bios related. Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your bios and upgrade it first before proceeding then try to run it again. The fact that it runs at all rules out your 3.1 usb theory in my mind, but I could be wrong.
    I have just upgraded the BIOS but the result is the same.
    I am trying and download the new rolling version of kali just in case...but I'm not really confident that this will solve my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
    I have the same exact problem. Does anybody know what we're doing wrong? I just used Win32DiskImager to write the .iso file to my USB (16 GB), reset in advanced startup mode, and tried to boot from USB. It didn't work so I decided to format the USB and retry, except the USB only has 3 GB now. I'm running x64 Windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Is your laptop seeing the usb at all during boot? Have you gone into your BIOS settings and made sure to enable legacy mode for usb? Try that and post results please.

Ok, please let me know if the issue is resolved with Kali rolling. Do you have the correct sources.list entries to update when you complete the install?
    If not, please see below:

# Main repository for Kali Rolling Release 2016.1 (32 and 64 bit)
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
    # For source package access, uncomment the following line
    # deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
    # For bleeding edge repositories, uncomment the following line
    # deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-bleeding-edge contrib non-free main

You could resolve the error by repeating the steps :

Run the installer.

Open a shell (ALT + F2).

Create the directory cdrom directly on the root of the file system:

mkdir /cdrom
    Note : If you got problems making the directory /cdrom, disable the CD-rom player in BIOS or disconnect the cable

Mount the USB as if it is a CD-ROM:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
    Where sdb1 is your USB device.

You could carry on installation now

Source :ubuntu and debian

another solution was :

when the Window shows CDROM couldn't be mounted ,

Unplug your USB from system and re insert it
    wait for mount/ detection (usb LED glow)
    Hit Continue
    ################################################

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

just remove the usb stick, re-insert it into a different usb port and select retry.. it detects the usb and installer continues.. simple..

I had the same problem with you now. And I do not know what's wrong?

Hello everyone,

I have issues with installing Kali on my Dell inspiron N4030. I was running Linx mint on this computer with no issues. After sometime of running Kali in Virtual box, i have decided to run it as my main OS on my computer. I created a Live USB and started installation.

Computer boots into Kali Live mode perfectly, but when I start installation, after coping files, the next thing i see just before a shutdown command is sent to the computer is "running OpenSsh server".

When installation process gets to this point, my computer restarts.

Please I need help with solving this problem asap. I have tried this process 3 times and same thing repeats itself.

Am sending this post from Live mode. Thanks guys... looking forward to hearing from you.

48. Thx by the guide , I don't have CD reader and i need live usb.
    Descubre las mejores medias de compresion!

Greetings All,
    A student here trying to learn about Linux for the first time. Ive read the Making A Kali Bootable USB Drive (on windows running Win32) but I am wondering am I sacrificing an entire USB drive to imaging it on a USB. I have a drive I use but its 128g and I dont want to "waste" it for installing a 4g OS. Just wondering and thanks.

Kali 2016.1 dual boot

I'm trying to install Kali 2016.1 on my 2015 MacBook Air via USB install. I followed the directions on the install page, but rEFInd still won't let me boot into the Kali USB. The USB works on other computers, but not my EFI Mac.