Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

Kali 2016.1 universal usb installer error

I am also having trouble installing Kali 2016.1 through my windows 7 laptop. I am using universal USB installer for the iso. I downloaded this http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2016.1/...16.1-amd64.iso version but every time I try to complete it I get the following errors.Kali Issues 1.jpgKali Issues 3.jpgKali Issues.jpg any advice would help greatly. PS. I have already tried the recommended win32 disk imager, but after I tried booting from it, it wouldn't work.

Hello,

I'm currently awaiting my Linux Bible in the post, however for now was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm a complete beginner w/r/t Linux and I'm trying to boot Kali Linux from a USB. I've tried following the steps on the instructions, however have been unsuccessful. As an alternative I've created a disc image of the Kali ISO on the USB. When I look at the drive it says "Kali Live", however when I boot up it gives me no boot menu.

Can anyone spot from the limited information what I'm doing wrong? Would be grateful for any advice - have been trying different methods for a few days now.

Ben

I am trying to use Kali but it isn't working. i have put the ISO file onto many USB sticks and put them in a few computers. whenever i try to load it from the booting managment it doesn't let me and say's "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt". can someone help me please

5003 (5).JPG

I can't seem to boot kali from a USB flash drive.. usually with other iso's i can just find usb flash drive and press enter and start up the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Miwalein View Post
    i have the same problem. I noticed that he is unable to read the /cdrom/dist/stable/Release file. I used the amd64 image.
    I also tried to extract the Files from the ISO but it seems to be currupt and i had a sha1sum mismatch. I will now try to download again and hope that this will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlexus13 View Post
    I am also having trouble installing Kali 2016.1 through my windows 7 laptop. I am using universal USB installer for the iso. I downloaded this http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2016.1/...16.1-amd64.iso version but every time I try to complete it I get the following errors.Kali Issues 1.jpgKali Issues 3.jpgKali Issues.jpg any advice would help greatly. PS. I have already tried the recommended win32 disk imager, but after I tried booting from it, it wouldn't work.
    Yes I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing you are and am having the exact same experience. I recognized that if I did a 'quick format' and selected NTFS I didn't get the same problem when I went through the process using pendrive. I formatted it to NTFS then clicked the 'format disk' option in linux pendrive.

Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently awaiting my Linux Bible in the post, however for now was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm a complete beginner w/r/t Linux and I'm trying to boot Kali Linux from a USB. I've tried following the steps on the instructions, however have been unsuccessful. As an alternative I've created a disc image of the Kali ISO on the USB. When I look at the drive it says "Kali Live", however when I boot up it gives me no boot menu.

Can anyone spot from the limited information what I'm doing wrong? Would be grateful for any advice - have been trying different methods for a few days now.

Ben
    Ok so you've created a disc image of the Kali ISO on the USB. I'm gathering that you simply saved the Kali ISO to the USB am I correct? If so, that is why it isn't working. You need to make your USB bootable. First, download a brand new ISO and save it to your computer. Second, right click on your USB and select 'format'. Do a 'quick format' of the USB to NTFS. Next, Download this software http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and go through the installation process. You'll be asked what type of operating system you'd like to install. Select 'Kali Linux'. Next you'll need to navigate to the place on your computer where you downloaded the ISO. Next select the drive of your USB and click the 'format disk' check box. Once everything is filled in properly, hit 'create' and it will make a bootable Kali Linux USB.

I'm assuming you're running Windows so here's what you'll do next to get your computer to boot from the USB rather than your default drive. Depending on which version of Windows you use, the process is different for doing so. You'll need to google how to change the bios of the Windows OS you're using. Alternatively, 'search' your computer for 'bios', advanced system setting or something similar will pop up. Double click that, then indicate you'd like 'advanced start-up'. Then it will restart your computer, before it loads keep clicking F2, or F12 (it will depend on your version of OS) and you will be loaded into bios. From there you'll need to move your USB to the top of the list of your boot order, then disable UEFI, it will change to legacy after you save and exit. Once you do it will again restart your system. Click f12 before it loads then select your USB as the drive you'd like to boot into and it will do so. This instructions might be a little confusing so first attempt them then reply back with any questions I will help you.

Hello all,
    I've installed Kali Linux in a USB and I had no problem with the installation. However, it doesn't detect my wireless connection. I'm pretty new with Linux and I followed several tutorials to see how to solve this but I can't fix it. I have installed a previous version of Kali in a VM before and I never had this problem. Has anyone had the same problem? Maybe I should try to install another version? I hope that someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

which tool did you use to create a live usb?
    HAC

HI guys, i've any problem with installing kali from USB. The problem is when i started with installing kali i have problem with the language that dosen't found in the .iso. have you any answer for that problem! thanks so much....

10. good idea! hoang trang 93.5

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sartor55 View Post
    HI guys, i've any problem with installing kali from USB. The problem is when i started with installing kali i have problem with the language that dosen't found in the .iso. have you any answer for that problem! thanks so much....
    which you are using to create the live USB ?
    HAC

Hi, I have this same issue with my '13 Mac. I used "Pendrivelinux USB installer".

Boots and works great but doesn't detect wireless on my mac, no issues when used in pc.

NIC is broadcom, brcm4360.

Cheers

So I am getting an error message when I try to run live from USB. I am using an older Mac from 2009, is that the issue? I installed rEFInd but it still doesn't work. Should I mount the ISO onto a DVD? 20160410_153224.jpg

Problem with Macbook 12" at boot when trying to install with live usb.
    Followed the guide and everything.

DHCP4: DHCP4 DriverBindingStart
    Starting legacy loader
    Using load option ‘USB’
    Error: Not Found while loading legacy loader

Please make sure that you have the latest firmware update installed.

If I update or upgrade Kali Linux......Sth happend!

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    Yes! I did $dd if=.... of .... bs=1M with my 8G usb stick~...
    So I reboot my computer into Kali linux ...
    Then I use $ apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to upgrade kali~
    Finally the partition memory is not enough ....
    I $fdisk -l it... and the partition only has 2.7 or 2.9G i forgot...
    --------------------------------------
    So what's the solution that if I install kali on usb ,and how could I upgrade it ?
    I'm a newbie~ Plz teach me hard~!

Hello All,

I had to join the forums here because I am at a loss. I can usually always find my answers with Google, forums, etc. but, this is one of those rare times I am exhausted my search skills (or lack of maybe). I have been using a "prebuilt" Kali VB (VirtualBox) iso for a year or so now and love using Kali Linux but I decided I would create a Live USB to see if maybe I would have less driver issues than using Kali inside of VB in Win10 (which is dual-boot on a MacBook Pro). So, with all that being said, I guess I should be grateful I didn't have more issues.
    Anyway, I seem to be one of the VERY few that have an issue with no network available on my Kali Live USB. The Live USB itself I have had no problems with, just the missing network or no "eth0" under ifconfig. So, because I am using a MacBook Pro, there of course is no ethernet port that I can plug into so that I can get my Broadcom wireless drivers installed onto the Live USB. I actually just ordered a "USB to ethernet hub" so that I can plug into if I need it in the future but it doesn't help me now. I am wondering if I can open the UUI thumb drive from my Mac or Win10 and insert the drivers I have downloaded from which I can access once inside of Kali? Or, if there is something I am missing, that may be right in front of my face... like, a command I haven't tried that will give me access to the network. I have tried "service network-manager start" and it does nothing. It may be simple but like I said, the prebuilt VB iso I've been using had everything set up already and now I am having to set it up on my own so I'm lost. Sorry for the long explanation and thanks for your time in advance.
    ~Obi-Wan

***EDIT***
    - Since waiting for this post to "post", I have done some more searching and have found other commands to see if I can discover a resolution. I have attempted to edit /etc/network/interfaces in order to add (auto eth0) lines but that doesn't help. Additionally, when I reboot, the files are back to original and all of my edits are gone (yes, the edits were saved and I was in persistence). Another thing I have tried is entering "lspci -vvv |grep -A 10 -i net" and all of my MacBooks's Broadcom wireless card info is there. I just need to find a way to get Kali to see it or, well, activate it.
    Last edited by Obi-Wan; 2016-04-26 at 18:38.

after upgrade 2016.1 problems with aircrack-ng not showing any connected clients...wifite and reaver stuck on same pin so I decided fresh install of kali rolling .iso with unetbootin. Unetbootin would not display my downloaded .iso image no matter what dir it is in, I did not experience this issue with kali 2.0 so now i am stuck install kali 2.0 then upgrade or keep trying install .iso on usb ?

I had same problem...reformat disk...copy iso but very beginning yow will see something about perserving data for mulit boots in ubunta... so just in case...10mb shoud do...boot to live...look for install kali in program dir...I had other issues though relating to unetbootin not finding kali .iso

Like others here I'm having issues with installing Kali (2016.1) to a flash drive. I've read through this thread but still don't know enough so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

First I followed the directions from http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install to use Win32-Disk-Imager to write to a flash drive under Windows. But Win32-Disk-Imager doesn't seem to find .ISO files when I point it at them. It can see .IMG files, but it ignores .ISO files!

So I tried firing up Kali from my Live DVD and doing an install to flash drive that way. The install seemed to be going well, but after the progress bar was about 75% complete (nearly an hour after I started the install), it aborted saying that the step in the install failed. There was no other info about what had gone wrong. I tried again and it failed again, only much faster this time.

I wanted to run Kali for the SDR programs (Software Defined Radio) that I heard were on it. It took a while to understand that these programs were not on the Live disc but had to be added after Kali was installed. Otherwise I would have been happy to start with the Live DVD and would not need to install to flash. No space on this system or clean way to add a second hard drive, so installing to flash seemed my best bet, but I'm not sure what my next step should be to try to get Kali installed.

I'm a pretty experienced computer user, but not a strong Linux user. If giving help, assume that I would benefit from clear and detailed instructions in navigating the Linux directory structure or making any edits in Linux if that turns out to be needed to get the install done. Thanks.
    Last edited by Frovingslosh; 2016-05-21 at 00:36.

When I try to boot kali linux with a usb I either get a black screen or a messege saying "Secure Boot Violation [Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup]".
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello guys, I'm trying to dualboot kali and win10 but after finishing the install of kali without an error I get an error when i choose to boot kali from the grub menu but i can boot win10. The error am getting is the following:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

Try this

Win32Disk Imager, I believe works best with .img, so try UNetbootin for your .iso.

I am a Computer Information Systems college student. Very new to Kali as I have only watched someone demonstrate it's power briefly. I want a live USB to investigate it's tools and become familiar with the operating system. However, I have been very unsuccessful at creating a live USB. I am running windows 10 currently, I am booting in UEFI, and I tried recently to use Rufus to write to the USB. I have verified the checksums and they are all correct. Secure Boot is disabled but, I just can't seem to get it to work. I don't even get a boot from USB option when I F12 to boot options. If someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

After using Win32DiskInstaller I get the message, "USB needs to be formatted before use" junk! I keep getting this message and when I try and boot. Computer doesn't even recognize a USB device to boot from. I am using UEFI and secure boot is disabled. I verified the checksums and everything matches. Please help, anyone!

Hello,

I've decided I've needed to join this forum after frustratingly following the instructions for Kali Linux USB install for OS X and unable to proceed with imaging the ISO file on a USB device. I type in "sudo dd if=kali-linux-______-amd64.iso of=/dev/disk_ bs=1m" in the Terminal, but then I am asked for a password. Nothing in the instructions given on website state there is a password. What Am i doing wrong?

Hello I have a toshiba satellite L850-I2011, I was hoping to dualboot windows 7 and kali linux 2016.1 rolling edition so, I followed the instructions on kali website and when i booted from usb to do the gparted thing it gave me an error gnome display manager dosen't work. I have an amd graphic card. So,I don't know what to do and i dont want to take risk because around a week ago I was trying to do the same thing and it formatted my local disk c as ext4 file so i had to format my hard drive than start over. Fortunately I recovered my data through DRW and I want to do it again

Hello,

I got a frustrating issue with the latest iso (2016.01-kernel 4.5) when imaging to USB. I am not imaging the iso directly instead I install it in virtualbox vm. Configure it to my own need then convert it to raw and then imaging to USB using dd but booting failed where /sbin/init could not be found, it seems that the /dev/sda1 partition is mounting in a different mount point than / but I cannot figure out what is the issue. Could not find any clue with Google so I am asking forums for help. Anyone seen this issue already ?? Note when imaging the 2016.1 iso directly to USB in live or persistence it is fine and same procedure done with kali iso from end of last year (kernel 4.0) booted correctly also.

I was able to install Kali Linux live USB and set up a persistence partition. While doing the updates it seems to hang on an IPv6 addressconf netdevup saying the link is not ready. How can I fix this? It boots just fine still from the Kali live version and I have network connectivity.

toor is the default root password on these installs

I've done the USB install of 2016.1 on Windows and from in Kali Live, with and without persistence, it all works great.

Except, every install changes the partition size to 2.66GB, not enough room to run updates, it crashes every time. How do I expand this partition? I've tried GParted and it says that boot partition is not available, regardless if I'm booted to it, or another install. I've taken the USB to Win7 and Win10 and can't change the partition. If I wipe the USB and create new 10GB partition, the install process puts it back to 2.66.

How do I allow updates on a USB Live install if I can't expand this partition?

Hi All

Just got a HP Chromebook 11-2200na which I'd like to use for Kali. I'm having issues with the Live USB boot though. The 11-2200na is a Celeron Processor but when trying to boot the Kali Linux 64 bit image, I just get 1 low beep. So i tried the Arm image for HP Chromebooks and on this I get a black screen but nothing happens.

When troubleshooting this if I do a sudo cgpt show /dev/sda on the intel image I get the warning below but if run the same command on an ARM image, everything looks ok. I've tried Win32Diskimager and dd to write the images. Both give me the same results. As a test, I installed Kali with Crouton and that works fine and incidently uses the AMD64 bit image. Unfortunately, Doing it this way. There isn't enough space to install all the tools that I want. I don't really want to overwrite ChromeOS as I quite like the option of just whipping out my Chromebook and being online in 10 seconds :-)

Warning
    WARNING: Primary GPT header is invalid
    WARNING: Secondary GPT header is invalid
    ERROR: GptSanityCheck() returned 2: GPT_ERROR_INVALID_HEADERS

My questions are:
    Has anyone managed to do a Live USB boot on a HP 11-2200na, if yes, was it straight forward?
    What does 1 low beep mean?
    I have enabled Dev mode, Enabled USB boot and changed the priority. Have I missed something in the process?

Starting to get frustrated with this now, although, I am learning more about Linux on the way.

Cheers

Hi, I was installing Kali via USB until I got to the partitioning part. I chose encrypted LVM and went on to get an error after the procedure quote " Partitions 1, 2, 5 on /dev/sdb have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the cjange, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partitions will remain in use..." what should I do?

I have kali 2016.1 on live usb...and when I boot to usb there in no install option nor in programs, there use to be a install kali in menu but it is not there on kali 2016.1. I want to install kali to my hard drive ?

I have installed three different versions of kali linux and each time is different.I downloaded iso then use unetbootin and live-install to copy iso to usb. Usb fires up and run kali fine but thre is no install option on boot. So last but not least i tried dd from command-line and that worked ! Now have a bootable usb with install option.

Thanks muts, for the Live USB Install explanation.

I've have been experiencing an installation problem with my Kali:

I downloaded the Win32DiskImager and the 64-bit ISO file , because i have a 64-bit, Windows 10 OS.

I have two questions for you:

1. Should i have used win32 for this, if i have a 64-bit operating system?

2. I'm receiving the following partition error:

Do you know anything about this? I have no idea what to do,

I have already tried re-downloading the ISO image and writing it to my SanDisk USB Drive,

but the error popped up again.

Sincerely,
    Armitage16

Good day. I face with some problem. I have a 16GB Flash Drive USB 3.0. When I install Kali there is 4GB memory use and 11GB memory free (without file system). I use persistent encryption version and I can't to resize the partition. I need it because have no free space for upgrade and kali-linux-full install. I try Gpated and Acronis Disk Doctor. The problem was not solved. Can anybody help me? How to resize Kali linux image on the Flash Card.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazyr View Post
    Hi, I was installing Kali via USB until I got to the partitioning part. I chose encrypted LVM and went on to get an error after the procedure quote " Partitions 1, 2, 5 on /dev/sdb have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the cjange, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partitions will remain in use..." what should I do?
    same problem here, help would be nice.
    Last edited by Alpaguhan; 2016-08-29 at 19:12.

Persistence error

I am having a persistence problem. I went through the steps of creating the partition, formating it, mounting it, placing the .conf file everything without an error. The problem is, when i boot with persistence, there is no persistence. When i boot into kali normally, i get the persistence partition on my desktop, yet no persistence. Anyone know what i did wrong?

Attempting to install 32 bit non-PAE Kali 2.0 (built using instructions on site for custom ISO) on an Acer Aspire One ZA3 (0751h) netbook, circa 2010. Put ISO on an 8gb thumb drive, and the Acer boots flawlessly to the thumb drive. However, usability is poor due to read/write speed of using "live" distro on USB 2.0, so I wanted to install to the internal HDD, which is currently a SATA II SSD (240gb). Install from USB seems to go without a hitch, but I get a few concerning messages and the install hangs with a "Started update UTMP about System RunLevel changes" or something like that. The first message I was concerned about was related to "failed to find cpu0 device node".

Why does it boot and work off USB, but after install it's broken? I'm assuming that the Atom Z520 does not support PAE, and that's why I'm using the i586 kernel custom live-build to try to install Kali on this machine.

To be honest, I might even be better off using LXLE or XFCE-based builds instead of Debian, for less resource usage, but if I can't get this to install then I'm not going to go thru the trouble of doing another live-build for LXLE/XFCE. BTW, I'm no Linux expert.....

Any advice? Thanks!

partition should have a label "persistence",

in partition should be a text file "persistence.conf",

file should contain just one line "/ union" (just seven char without qwots)

Hi, I am trying to boot kali from live usb according to the documentation article (I use Ubuntu). The dd command goes through well, but when I try to boot, the usb either doesn't show up in the UEFI menu at all, or it shows up but after selecting nothing happens (literally, there's nothing on the screen and it doesn't make any boot progress).

I tried different flash drives (16GB USB2.0 and 64GB USB3.0), different kali images (2016.1 and 2016.2, of course with verified sha1sum) and different blocksizes for dd (512k and 1024k), but nothing worked. I am able to boot other operating systems (Ubuntu for example) from live usb though. I also tried the Ubuntu live-usb-creator.

So, am I missing some point? Can I change anything else about the dd command to make it work? Do I need some UEFI settings for this? Thanks in advance!

im following the directions on kali.org to create a persistant kali usb. heres what ive input as well as the output. note i have a 62gb flashdrive im running this on

root@kali:~# end=50gb
    root@kali:~# read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-4.6.0-kalil-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end
    du: cannot access 'kali-linux-4.6.0-kalil-amd64.iso': No such file or directory
    0 parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary 0 50gb

thank u so much..

I am trying to make a Kali USB installer. Objective is to either install Kali on the Dell Laptop or run it from the USB.

Currently I have a mac operational and downloaded the .iso file. Got a 128 GB USB.

When I follow the steps from the article :
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

after the sudo command on mac terminal it asks for the password and "toor" or "changeme" does not work.

stuck here, if any one know the password or suggest any alternate steps to make a USB installer on mac which I can use on a Dell laptop.

I attempted to install Kali from USB on Windows 10 UEFI. I turned off Secure Boot and Fast Boot. I put ISO on 32gb sandisk usb using Rufus (tried with all 3 options regarding efi). I am able to see the usb drive in boot screen but when I select it to boot to screen goes black for one second then it is back at the boot screen. I select it again and then it boots into Windows 10 even though I selected the usb. This happens with all attempts even downloading another separate copy of kali. I install to legacy boot and it installs just fine. What is wrong with my efi attempts? Need to be able to boot to both OS.

Do I need to download the ARM image and VMware image as in is it necessary?

Hello guys, I got a problem can you help me ? I've just destroy 2 USB key by trying to make my kali .iso bootable with Win32DiskImager. I've got a USB key with 16Go, the software warn me that I can damage my stick , I press OK then I press Write and after my 16Go become a 3Go key ( Got the same issue with a 32Go Key) It seems that I can't make my stick bootable. Can someone help ?

Im also trying to create a bootable USB drive. Im using a PNY 64GB USB 3.0 and a Gorilla 64GB 2.0 drive. Ive downloaded the iso version of Kali 2016.2 onto a Systems76 laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS using the dd command from the help page, http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install. Im getting this error message "dd: error writing '/dev/sbd': No space left on device." Ive checked the USB and it is showing that there is 64GB on both devices.

ON the other hand I was able to create a bootable USB using my MAC but when I try to boot from it it says there is no bootable media. I could really use some help.

I got this figured out, used a disk manager program and reset my USB to a Master Bootable and MS-DOS and now both have working copies of Kali.
    Last edited by Eric2100; 2017-01-02 at 23:55. Reason: Updaate

Problem booting Kali on new laptop

Hello,

I just bought a new Lenovo N22 Intel Celeron 1.6GHz
    4gb, 32GB eMMC

It had Windows 10 on it, but I bought this for Kali Linux only. I can run Kali live from my USB no problem. I also have installed Kali on my mac w/virtual box.

When I wiped the Lenovo and installed it, everything installed ok. But when I reboot it goes to the boot menu asking me which drive I want to boot from: The hard drive or Windows Boot Manager and of course neither of those work.

When I look at the hard drive in through linux terminal, it appears everything is there even GRUB. But for some reason GRUB is not kicking in.

I've restarted and reinstalled about a dozen times the last two days. Could grub be in the wrong location, am I partitioning the disk work or something??? I'm lost here. Any suggestions?

And by the way, windows 10 is gone and I have no way to get it back but I don't care... just FYI.

first , i suggest you to burn supergrubdisk2 and try to boot using this one time boot menu. then you will be sure if kali is setted up correctly or not.
    Then if yes once in kali edit the grub config to make it work(with supergrubdisk2 you can saw the code for the working input, so take a picture and reproduce it)