Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

Hellow guys. I have problem with keeping my config files when I make persistent bootable kali linux on my SDHC card. I was following many tutorials, but there is no persistance.conf file like in other tutorials. Should I try to make bootable USB stick? Is even possible to make bootable SDHC card where I can save my progress, configuration files and many others?
    I hope that u understanded my problem.

I made a live USB using mac linux USB loader for my mackbook pro. And when I try boot from it, it does not show the boot menu where I get the option of installing it, instead it directly shows

"Welcome to Enterprise! - Version 0.3.1"
    Available boot options:
    Press the key corresponding to the number of the options that you want.

1)Boot Linux from ISO file
    2)Modify Linux kernel boot options

Press any other key to reboot the system.

In my case, I have looked at the tutorial and created the bootable USB stick using the specified command: dd if = kali-live.iso of =/dev/sdc bs = 512.

Restarted my computer and I boot from pendrive, he said that the translation into Portuguese was incomplete and in time to "load the data from the cd" (as he says also in Debian), said that "no kernel module was found".

I've done four or five downloads the ISO image. Did data analysis to see if it was corrupted. I recorded the pendrive by MS Windows. But nothing worked.
    I've been trying for almost a week.

Grateful
    Lucas Ribeiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ribeiro View Post
    In my case, I have looked at the tutorial and created the bootable USB stick using the specified command: dd if = kali-live.iso of =/dev/sdc bs = 512.

Restarted my computer and I boot from pendrive, he said that the translation into Portuguese was incomplete and in time to "load the data from the cd" (as he says also in Debian), said that "no kernel module was found".

I've done four or five downloads the ISO image. Did data analysis to see if it was corrupted. I recorded the pendrive by MS Windows. But nothing worked.
    I've been trying for almost a week.

Grateful
    Lucas Ribeiro
    Create bootable USB through rufus.

I tried... Gave the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeho View Post
    Hello guys, I got a problem can you help me ? I've just destroy 2 USB key by trying to make my kali .iso bootable with Win32DiskImager. I've got a USB key with 16Go, the software warn me that I can damage my stick , I press OK then I press Write and after my 16Go become a 3Go key ( Got the same issue with a 32Go Key) It seems that I can't make my stick bootable. Can someone help ?
    I had the same issue, my 8 gigs stick is now being indicated like a 2 gigs one.

Hey All just wanted to get some insight with a problem getting Kali Linux to boot up in persistent mode. I've gone through the direct website of Kali to setup a live USB using a SanDisk CZ48 32gb 3.0usb and the ISO seems to get on and I know that the persistent folder is made but when I boot into the persistent option from the boot menu screen I get a Kernel panic error ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exit code=0x000000200 ] --- My computer then freezes and I have to power it off, after doing this the first couple of times it would boot in and I could work in the persistent mode but then it just stopped working and I would only get the kernel panic error. Don't have a different computer to check but my specs:
    Lenovo Yoga 700 14ISK, CPU Intel® Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4, Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2), OS-Type Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS 64-bit, SSD 43.5gb(partition of my ubuntu) also have windows 10 partitioned as main part of :C drive.

I hope I posted enough info basically just keep getting Kernel panic error when booting into persistent version of Kali Linux and can't figure out if my laptop is not compatible or I just have some setting wrong.

Thanks

Greetings! I made a bootable USB of 8GiB via a Blackarch and Xferience script using dd to create it, but once I installed the ISO image, which is the newest 17.1 x64 Mate, I see Kali listed on the screen with the rest of the three other partitions! I then click on Kali, but contrary to version 16.1 Rolling I get a shell screen which demands a login and password and also expecting commands instead of the GUI starting screen with all the programs and the Mate desktop environment! How do I get past this issue?
    Respectfully,
    johann6956

USB install with file system encrypted

Hi,
    If I use this procedure (USB Live) to create an USB install is the file system on the USB pen encrypted?
    If not, is there a way to have a bootable USB pen drive with Kali Linux?
    Thank you

cld

I think the setup should have a disk space check code as I didn't realize that it requires 20gb free space and I tried to install it in 10gb drive so it should say that this much space is not enough.

So just to warn users, something like this should be there.

I am very new to Linux. as in this is my first install ever. I am trying to create a bootable usb. I have done everything correctly so far. When I boot with usb Linux starts and gives me the option to pick what system I want to use. I choose live system. After that my screen goes black with no blinking cursor in the top or anything on the screen at all. What do I do. please help. I am using a dell inspiron 11. Thank You

Hello all,

I need your help. I'm trying to install Kali from a bootable usb. I have created a partition on my hard drive as you can see here. When I boot from the USB I don't get to a installation menu. I Get into the GNU GRUB version 2.02 menu. If I use the ls command I see the following directories:

(memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,msdos1)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt5)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt4)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt3)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt2)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt1)
    (hd2) (hd2,gpt1)

I think I have to select the hd2 hard drive? But how do I know for sure? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Demorak View Post
    Hello all,

I need your help. I'm trying to install Kali from a bootable usb. I have created a partition on my hard drive as you can see here. When I boot from the USB I don't get to a installation menu. I Get into the GNU GRUB version 2.02 menu. If I use the ls command I see the following directories:

(memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,msdos1)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt5)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt4)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt3)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt2)
    (hd1) (hd1,gpt1)
    (hd2) (hd2,gpt1)

I think I have to select the hd2 hard drive? But how do I know for sure? Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Show the picture of your screen.

I'm having this same issue. I've got the USB set up for a Persistent Live install of Kali, however once I click on that option at the boot up menu, it runs some of the automated text and then the screen goes black and the monitor loses video feed. I'm using the 64 bit .iso and plan on trying the 32 bit version once I get off work. If anyone else can provide some information it would be greatly appreciated. I've also tried playing with BIOS settings but I can't seem to find one that makes a difference.

Hello, unfortunately I am having a similar problem as these gentleman. I originally used tried using win32, but it would recognize my Kali ISO file. So i switched to YUMI, which is an amazing program. I downloaded Linux Mint , and Kali onto it. I successfully installed Mint onto one hard drive flawlessly. I successfully live booted Kali just to check it out. Now when i went to actually install Kali on my other ssd, everything works in graphical install up until it tries to recognize my 'cdrom'. It fails, I watched all the youtube videos on it and of course read around here on the forums. I went into the shell, tried to create a mkdir etc.. I finally got that method to work, then it gave me another error. back to square one. I also tried removing my usb and re inserting . That also failed. I have a feeling it is because of yumi. Is there a better live usb program, one that most people have work for them? Thank you in advance

Try with rufus.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Try with rufus.
    Alright thats what I thought, Just wanted to make sure. Thanks bud

Thanks you very much!

Kali Linux KDE USB boot: ISO signature and user couchdbadmin

Hello,

I just installed kali-linux-kde on USB key with persistent data partition and I have two questions:

1) checksum
    I followed this document to check that my iso image was ok: Verify the ISO Using the SHA256SUMS File https://docs.kali.org/introduction/d...i-linux-images
    Checksum ISO = checksum in file SHA256SUMS but I have the following message about signature from gpg for Windows:

Code:
    gpg --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg SHA256SUMS
    gpg: Signature made  using RSA key ID 7D8D0BF6
    gpg: Good signature from « Kali Linux Repository <[email protected]> » [unknown]
    gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
    gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
    Primary key fingerprint: 44C6 513A 8E4F B3D3 0875  F758 ED44 4FF0 7D8D 0BF6
    Is it correct ?

2) when I boot on my USB key I see the following users "couchdbadmini..." and "root". Is it correct to have this "couchdbadmini..." user ?
    I saw another post (20 of June) with this question but I'm not really convinced by the answer.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards
    Yiza
    Last edited by yiza; 2017-07-11 at 14:06.

i really like kali live, i have just a little problem with that, most of the times i use it with my surface pro 4 the only problem is that to make the typecover work i need to run
    "apt-get upgrade" so my question is: is there a way i can have my usb to keep those drivers and not to delete them every time i turn off my kali live usb?

Dell Inspiron mini 10

Having some issues installing on this machine. I've watched tutorials, read this thread, can't seem to figure it out.
    After the install, I get an "ACPI error: could not enable powerbutton event", also says "trying to get vblank count for disabled" twice, then a "reg 00000000 save 00000000", then "kvm: disabled by bios", then "dell_smm_humon: unable to get SMM Dell signature"

It's just stuck on that screen.

Help please?

IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    Last edited by Jrussin; 2017-07-27 at 16:07. Reason: adding pictures

Need help with booting Kali LInux after install

I'm trying to single boot. I finish the install and everything seems to work out fine, but when I press f10 on the startup and enter Boot theres not Kali Linux option. I go to the bios, disable fast boot and put the boot mode to legacy, also disable safe boot, but the kali linux boot just doesn't show up. Then I boot the live image from the USB drive and check the hard drive and Kali Linux is installed and all the boot files are there. I restart the computer and there is still no boot option.

Quote Originally Posted by eshi2000 View Post
    I'm trying to single boot. I finish the install and everything seems to work out fine, but when I press f10 on the startup and enter Boot theres not Kali Linux option. I go to the bios, disable fast boot and put the boot mode to legacy, also disable safe boot, but the kali linux boot just doesn't show up. Then I boot the live image from the USB drive and check the hard drive and Kali Linux is installed and all the boot files are there. I restart the computer and there is still no boot option.
    Follow this thread to re-install grub: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

I want to see the screenshot of your f10 boot menu options and UEFI settings. Switch back to UEFI. LegacyBIOS is unnecessary.

I think Etcher.io helps you install a liveusb

AABoyels posted a question but I see no answer for it... I am experiencing a similar problem. I followed the tutorial provided, but when I boot Kali it takes me to the boot menu... I actually wanted to run it live bit when I click on it it shows a loading message ( to quick for me to read ) and then nothing happens. I then tried installing it using all three installing options and I always get stuck at the step where it asks for a disk in the cdrom... Can someone please help me... It would be great if both problems could be solved...

Hi Folks,
    I'm running a kali rolling 2017.1 with persistence from a USB key : ok ;
    I try to get linux headers for 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 , but not available any more : ok
    I do 'apt update' & 'apt dist-upgrade' ok
    but - it stays in 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 and don't install the new 4.12 (where I could get linux-headers) ..

Any hint ?

please remember USB with persistence installed this way : https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence

df -h :
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev
    tmpfs 786M 9.1M 777M 2% /run
    /dev/sdb1 2.5G 2.5G 0 100% /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdb1
    /dev/loop0 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs
    tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /lib/live/mount/overlay
    /dev/sdb3 48G 12G 34G 26% /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdb3
    overlay 48G 12G 34G 26% /
    tmpfs 3.9G 28M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 3.9G 140K 3.9G 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 786M 16K 786M 1% /run/user/0
    /dev/sdb2 684K 658K 26K 97% /media/root/Kali Live

Best regards,

You are supposed to reboot your system after dist-upgrade.

Of course I did reboot

Maybe because of :
    /dev/sdb1 2.5G 2.5G 0 100% /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdb1
    /dev/loop0 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs

the new linux-image ins't installing ? Or I did miss a step somewehre..

this morning I did :

/usr/sbin/update-initramfs.orig.initramfs-tools -c -k 4.12.0-kali1-amd64

root@kali:~# ls -al /boot/
    total 86219
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Sep 18 06:32 .
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Sep 18 06:34 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 194375 Aug 30 07:49 config-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 185931 Apr 4 09:13 config-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37216965 Sep 18 06:31 initrd.img-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35967854 Apr 16 04:49 initrd.img-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2947712 Aug 30 07:49 System.map-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3147698 Apr 4 09:13 System.map-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4401424 Aug 30 07:49 vmlinuz-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4146976 Apr 4 09:13 vmlinuz-4.9.0-kali3-amd64

good

root@kali:~# ls -al /vmlinuz
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Sep 14 09:50 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    root@kali:~# ls -al /initrd.img
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Sep 14 09:50 /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-4.12.0-kali1-amd64

good

root@kali:~# uname -r
    4.9.0-kali3-amd64

bad ! I'm lost !

got it :

ls -al /lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Apr 16 04:41 initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Apr 16 04:41 initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Apr 16 04:41 vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Apr 16 04:41 vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-kali3-amd64

file system is read only

any idea to perform kernel upgrade welcome
    Last edited by benoki; 2017-09-18 at 09:09.

Hello there!

I have a problem booting a KALI x64 iso (latest) on a new Notebook that only supports UEFI. When I boot it (disabled save boot), I only get a black screen with a white "-" or "_" sign in the bottom right corner -it is not blinking so I guess it is not a cursor.

When I replace the efi/boot/* files on the stick with files from another image which I can successfully boot, then this *.efi is executed and runs (though of course fails to further boot as other files are missing) - I just did this to check if the efi folder is scanned and contents executed by the UEFI.

So I think something is not working correctly with the bootx64.efi or what it wants to do.

I also tried various options in Rufus on Windows to copy the iso to the usb stick. Namely MBR/GPT FAT32/NTFS - I either dont get any booting at all or I get the same result (black screen with "-" in lower right corner).

I also tried copying another bootable ISO to the same stick - which works, so the stick itself is running fine as it is.

Any ideas what I can do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    can't seem to add persistence. OSX doesn't recognize the "du" listing it as an illegal option.

end=7gb
    read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

I am also having an issue with the du command. I downloaded the current 2017.2 iso but the du command does not find the file.

UPDATE:
    I found the solution to my problem here: https://docs.kali.org/kali-dojo/03-k...nce-encryption
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-11-13 at 08:48. Reason: Merge posts

Quote Originally Posted by tau View Post
    I am also having an issue with the du command. I downloaded the current 2017.2 iso but the du command does not find the file.

UPDATE:
    I found the solution to my problem here: https://docs.kali.org/kali-dojo/03-k...nce-encryption
    Thanks for the link!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rikrake View Post
    Hi

I have a question, maybe a stupid question.

Is the architecture of the iso is important ?

I ask this question, because I have a Kali live USB AMD64 and it works perfectly on PCs with AMD but it's impossible to boot on PCs with Intel

Thank you
    AMD64 is a instruction set..(and obviously it is made by AMD.)....but that does not mean it wont's run on 64-bit Intel processors......

Hi, I plan to boot up Kali using a USB on my Windows 8.1 laptop (Lenovo B50-10) and was wondering on how I would boot back to Windows once I'm inside Kali, I know you would obviously go to the boot menu from the Windows side but what is the procedure to boot back to Windows from Kali?

Using rufus did the trick for me, thanks for the recommendation.

i was having a problem of installing kali linux in my windows 8
    acer pc
    i did usb dual boot using rufus 3.1
    i did partition and restarted pc where i was getting an issue of grub rescue??

Hallo, depending on your needs i suppose you are using a windows machine and you want to install kali linux, so please if you app isn't performing so well i suggest you use another popular software for creating bootable USBs "UNetbootin"; you can download your vesion here:https://unetbootin.github.io/ and after installation please read this tutorial on how to use it and create a bootable USB:https://www.curvve.com/blog/guides/2...th-unetbootin/ and skip step three if you have been successful in installing the UNetbootin software

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with installing Kali to unallocated space from USB to dualboot with my Windows machine. I get to the part to choose which drive I want to install Kali on, and it's only showing my USB drive. It doesn't show any of my Windows drives, even my unallocated drive doesn't show up. Does anyone know why, or be able to piint me in the right direction? I've been running Kali in a VM and love it so much that I want to install it permanently on a drive. I'm new to dual booting at this point...any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi all
    So, I'm trying to create a USB stick with persistance. I have a 32GB USB drive and following this https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence

Here is some additional info:
    * I was able to successfully make the flash drive bootable. I haven't really tested it but I followed the process in the article related to the above one and when I type fdisk -l I get this:
    Disk /dev/sdb: 30.3 GiB, 32505856000 bytes, 63488000 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xdb584c61

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1 * 64 6691199 6691136 3.2G 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb2 6691200 6692607 1408 704K 1 FAT12
    [root@localhost kali-linux-2019-1-amd64-iso]# fdisk -l

With both sdb1 and sdb2 I suppose I'm OK.

Here is where I have troubles thou:
    * I'm still on my Fedora, but inside the .iso directory
    * I ran this (replacing kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso with kali-linux-2019.1-amd64.iso)
    end=7gb
    read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end
    * I've got this: 3269 parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary 3269 7gb, but when I do fdisk -l I still have only db1 and db2

So I wonder if this process is outdated, should I actually do this after restart and USB boot and in general what am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!

I need your help.
    Tried to install Kali 2019.1a on USB for dual boot with Macbook pro 2017.
    From some reason during the boot the screen is scrambled and after Kali loads the cursor and keyboard are disabled. Connecting an external keyboard doesn't seem to work.
    Any ideas?

Answer: I found this related open issue: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=5291

PC hunts for CD when installing Kali to disk drive when using bootable flash

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackhat View Post
    Yeah I've been having the same problem. Haven't seen a way around it. Anyone else have any ideas? It thinks its booting off a CD? not a usb?
    Rufus and a couple of others seem to use their own method of creating a bootable flash.
    I found if you DD the Kali ISO to the USB drive it does not hunt for the CD during the
    installation to a hard disk.

I made a usb drive with rufus for x64 en x86 version but both gave the same problem.
    When I boot the usb, I press enter to do the live startup. I see a black square for a second and then a lot of text. After that my screen turns black and nothing happends.?
    What do I have to do to fix this?

44. Thank you. I really need knowledge from this article.

Hey guys, I just tried a persistent install on USB and followed all the directions for a persistent partition. Ive checked, and there is indeed an 11 gb persistence partition, so that all worked fine. The issue is that apt tries to put all of my updates, upgrades, and installs into the Kali Live partition, which is only 4 GB, and it runs out of space before I can even finish my first apt-get upgrade. How can I tell it to install all that stuff into the persistent partition that has plenty of space?

Yup same here...what we have to do now?
    did you got any solution ?

hello,
    when i burn the image to the USB, safely inject the USB and insert the USB again, i get a warning saying that the pen is corrupted and i need to format the USB.
    Can anyone help me, please?
    P.S: Im portuguese so excuse my english

@bitkas It's probably because you are burning image in DD mode. Windows doesn't recognise the unformatted partition of kali live so it throws a warning. You can ignore it. Does it boot?

I would like to have Kali Live installed on USB, and then add an application to it (namely, KeepassX).
    I thought I could install Kali Live to USB using the standard procedure (dd iso image), add the partition for the persistence, boot with persistence and then apt-get update && apt-get install keepassx .
    Am I on the right track?

I am trying to dual boot kali and i downloaded this ISO Kali Linux ASUS Chrombook (Minnie) on my 64gb usb thinking it should work on my ASUS chromebook C423 but i want to use a live usb or partion it if needed and dual boot cuz i don't want to override my chrome os and be able too switch back and forth between boots is there a suggested process can i use the ISO i downloaded for this device? and whats the tutorial? did i download the right ISO??? any help would be appreciated.