Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

My advice for anyone wanting live boot or with persistence is that 1) you can burn the iso on USB via universal USB with windows if you want to go that route.. but to make the partition for persistence you need to be in Linux using gparted.. spent the better part of a day the other day trying multiple things as various attempts none worked until I came across a post where someone mentioned that.. tried it and boom it worked.. so use two USB with kali and load the one you want with persistence in gparted make the partition with format ext4 ... apply the partition .. and reboot in persistence with the newly partitioned USB and make the commands mkdir -p /mnt/kali etc ...
    Mount /dev/sdba /mnt/kali
    Echo ?/ union? > /mnt/kali/persistence.conf
    umount /dev/sdba

Reboot make a test folder in desktop .. note when u umount the persistence drive should disappear if not hit the command again and reboot it should not be there any more.. make a test file or folder on desktop reboot and check if it?s there still or not..

Anyone has questions feel free to shoot me a pm ... I?m no pro but I went through quite a bit of trials and errors myself this week I?m confident to help out as needed if needed.

-DigitlRFYUG

is kali live install still available?

Hi friands
    I installed kali linux on hdd hard
    After restart it returns to boot menu
    When I click on the boot menu on the hard drive, it comes back on the boot menu
    I installed kali 64 bit
    Please help me

So - I have installed CentOS, Ubuntu, and other kernels via a USB before, however I am trying to get Kali Linux on my laptop, and I can't get around the same error message.

When I hit 'F12' for the Boot Menu, I select USB Storage Device under LEGACY BOOT. (If I click on UEFI: Veratim, I get taken to the GNU menu).

Then I get the basic Kali Boot Menu
    -> I go to Graphical Install (English, USA, American English), and then comes the hurdle.

I get a message on the DETECT AND MOUNT INSTALLATION MEDIA.

"Your installation couldn't be mounted. When installing from CD-ROM, this probably means that the disk was not in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again. Retry mounting installation media?"

Steps I've tried.
    1. Unplugging, waiting, and plugging back in the USB drive.
    2. Steps that are in this video on YouTube. https://www.***********************Up1lm-RbBe0

And yet still I have nothing.

Can anyone please assist?

Lastly, when I try to install via Live (64), I am stuck at the following screen.

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Debian1:1.30.1-4) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

hefpodshfxgeoidljuejdgsoflxhbkoeighbjdsfoglcoevgds ufceorgjkbldc
    Last edited by KrishJain; 2021-02-02 at 06:59.

I have a problem installing kali in uefi mode. It usually goes up live but when I click to install in any mode be graphic or text my video unconfigures all and I can not install. if i change the laptop bios to legacy i can install it normally. I would like to install it in uefi mode. in my uefi mode I already leave secure boot disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by mastrock View Post
    i have a problem booting from usb

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
    then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
    i used my computer (64 bit) to download and create the usb
    any help???ideas??

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Quote Originally Posted by Goncalvslipe10 View Post
    I have a problem installing kali in uefi mode. It usually goes up live but when I click to install in any mode be graphic or text my video unconfigures all and I can not install. if i change the laptop bios to legacy i can install it normally. I would like to install it in uefi mode. in my uefi mode I already leave secure boot disabled.

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Boys i am not able to open the link it says Acces Denied what do i do?

Persistence storage filling every second

I've gone through the process of making and encrypted persistence drive so many different times on multiple USB drives and even on an SD card. I would usually give the persistence storage 13 or 27 gb of storage depending on the size of the drive (16gb or 32gb) yet about 3 minutes into apt-get update it tells me there is no space left on device, which is strage considering it is only downloading files that are a couple of mb in size. I did a test using the df command to see if my storage is actually being used or not and when I look at it, it shows that "/" and "run/live/persistence/sde3" use% is increasing every second or 2 with no sign of what might actually be using it. After a couple of minutes the drive would be completely full and I cant create folders or download anything using the terminal. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here, Please!

Thanks, I used rufus to build a bootable live Kali Flash drive for use in my line of work.

isohybrid-image-detected-300x162.png

in Rufus click the DD image mode don't use the ISO image mode

After some boots kali was beginning to asks a kali password.
    I go to cli mode (ctrl+alt+F1) and change kali password without problems (sudo passwd kali). It's strange, because in login screen a system ask me it and in cli mode I cant that.
    After change password I enter my new password and screen not crying, that my password isn't correct, but a login screen is beginning restarting itself after entering login/pass and ask me login and pass again. A similar one and after restart kali os.

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hello,

I'm happy to be a part of this forum. I have had some experience in the past with Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I would like to switch to Kali.

I tried to go to the above link but when I click it the page won't load. Is there another page that anyone could recommend or is there a PDF installation guide for Kali that someone could point me to?

I would be most appreciative for any help.

Thank you very much.

hey guys,
    i'm having a weird issue with the keyboard. the keyboard works fine when i boot Kali on my acer laptop, but doesn't work on my surface laptop 2 !! the mouse works fine, only the keyboard doesn't. any ideas?

I cant download Kali Linux every time i try it just says even logged or if i get into the gui for graphical install it freezes at some point i tried everything and i looked everywhere no one seems to have this issue i need help i been battling with this for days now and i just cant seem to fix it can anyone help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer98 View Post
    Hello,

I'm happy to be a part of this forum. I have had some experience in the past with Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I would like to switch to Kali.

I tried to go to the above link but when I click it the page won't load. Is there another page that anyone could recommend or is there a PDF installation guide for Kali that someone could point me to?

I would be most appreciative for any help.

Thank you very much.

+1

I would like to add to this,

the website says

Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

Can someone point me to a online guide/manual that explains how to install Kali Linux on a USB drive with persistence? I've tried using this guide, but "Live USB Persistence" fails to boot up while doing the last steps (configuring the partition). Can someone look through the guide and confirm that the information on it is correct? I'm currently on Windows, by the way. VidMate appTeaTV apkShareit for PC
    Last edited by alfred0809; 2020-07-11 at 04:48.

Problem with using Kali on a partitioned SD card

So hey.. A fourteen year old trying to get acquainted with pentesting here.
    I was experiencing an issue with bootable media. I have an SD card that I use for storing my files and apps from my Android Tab and decided to partition it to install Kali and use it. I created a partition roughly half the size of my SD card (which is 64 GB) for my files from my tab and created another partition for Kali. I then installed UNETBOOTIN on my Windows 10 laptop, and used it to create a bootable USB with the latest ISO. But when I reboot my laptop, I don't see my USB in the BIOS options.
    How can I fix this?

Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well in these odd times.

I'm having trouble setting up persistence on my usb:

I installed Kali linux onto my 64gb usb, I partitioned 20gb for kali linux and the rest for persistence named "persistence" as ext4.

The commands I inputted into the Terminal:

fdisk -l

mkdir -p /mnt/portable/

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/portable

Returns:
    FUSE exfat 1.3.0
    WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly.

echo "/ union > /mnt/portable/persistence.conf

I went onto the desktop after this command, clicked the "places" tab, clicked 41GB VOLUME (no idea why it isn't called persistence) and double clicked persistence.conf

Back in the Terminal:

umount /dev/sdb2 && reboot

Rebooted Kali linux and none of the temporary folders are saved so clearly persistence failed.

Checked and read the Kali linux installation guide and typed in the terminal:

mkfs.ext3 -L persistence /dev/sdb2 (not sdb3).

This pops up:

/dev/sdb2 contains a exfat file system
    Proceed anyway? (y,N)

I press y and continue and this pops up:

/dev/sdb2 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

What am I doing wrong? I've been following many youtube videos which are all similar except some create the persistence within Kali linux.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Good day muts,

I am new to all this, a total novice and just trying to understand all this technical vocabulary as best as I can

Firstly, I can't seem to access the link you have provided above. It is blocking my IP address for some reason. How do I resolve this issue?
    Secondly, I have installed kali linux on my usb drive with etcher as instructed on the Kali install page. I would like to run the USB within the Virtual Workstation that I have installed on my laptop which runs on windows 10. Is there further instructions or a thread that discusses this topic? Any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Hello everyone,

I am facing issue regarding graphical installation on my GPT-UEFI computer. I have a 1TB HDD and 16GB ram. I've chosen to boot Kali Linux 2020.1a from my 16gb USB drive. I am currently not running any other operating system on the computer. But, I was running windows 10.

Anyways, everything seems to be going perfectly normal during the installation. But when I reach the "partition disks" part, errors begin to occur. First of all there are 5 partitions which look like the following:

1.0 TB sda:
    > 1.0 MB Free Space
    > #1 536.9 MB B
    > #2 982.6 GB ext4
    > #3 17.7GB F Swap Swap
    > 728.6KB Free Space

I don't understand why there are so many partitions. And whenever I try the option to partition them automatically it fails at installation of base system.

When I try doing it manually it doesn't let me set bootable from "off" to "on". It's very frustrating as I've been trying to resolve this issue for the past 2 nights.

Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I have booted from live persistence. But I freeze after some time desktop shows approx 4-5 min. I have install update or upgrade both. But still it does not run successful. When I give poweroff command that freezes the desktop for an hrs until I press down shutdown button to force the shutdown . Can u tell me how can I fix this

Is anyone running into the issue of KALI endless reboot on USB?
    After Kali settles, it takes inly 2 min for it to restart again in the middle of anything. I found a quick patch to work it out by it is not a concrete solution. Somehow running the apt-get update/upgrade stops this issue, but has anyone found out if those applied upgrades can be already found in some kali dist available? I have used the latest dist. from the kali website and still. Btw using a Lenovo Legion. Thx

Thank You, This will be very helpful

Great... Nice
    Pabriksukucadang, siemens, Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Omron, Schneider, Delta ,Panasonic, Yaskawa, Fatek , Weintek, PEPPERL+FUCHS, Proface, FUJI, Toshiba, Hitachi ,spare part, Inverter, Sensor Servo Drive Motor, Input, output ,card, Connector, Cable Timer & Counter, Encoder, Fuse, Capacitor, Touch Screen, HMI, solenoid, Valve, Cylinder, Cooling, Fan,

You can't boot to it bc windows only sees the 1st partition on the drive... Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am facing issue regarding graphical installation on my GPT-UEFI computer. I have a 1TB HDD and 16GB ram. I've chosen to boot Kali Linux 2020.1a from my 16gb USB drive. I am currently not running any other operating system on the computer. But, I was running windows 10.

Anyways, everything seems to be going perfectly normal during the installation. But when I reach the "partition disks" part, errors begin to occur. First of all there are 5 partitions which look like the following:

1.0 TB sda:
    > 1.0 MB Free Space
    > #1 536.9 MB B
    > #2 982.6 GB ext4
    > #3 17.7GB F Swap Swap
    > 728.6KB Free Space

I don't understand why there are so many partitions. And whenever I try the option to partition them automatically it fails at installation of base system.

When I try doing it manually it doesn't let me set bootable from "off" to "on". It's very frustrating as I've been trying to resolve this issue for the past 2 nights.

Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Looks like you have already added a swap partition, probably from trying to install kali previously.. Swap is your kali CPU space which is more than you even have in the first place. If i was you id go into windows and creat a partition of 50 or 75gs. Delete the swap space and merge it to your 50 to 75gs.

Then boot kali installer from usb install and when it comes to partition part, select biggest continuous free space and follow guide. You should only have a swap space of around 4gs. But make sure the initial swap swap file was infact from a previous failed kali install.

But honestly if you can't figure that out i would stick to using kali live with persistence. You won't be tech savy enough to benefit from having a dual boot version. Anything you would want to do you can do using kali live and at this point your just going to be learning how to use it anyways. That's just my 2 cents.

bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (es.ES-UTF-8)

In need help pleas..

REGIONAL SETTING doesnt work.

you should download Rufus. its allows you to set partition for live persistence Kali.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufus.mirror/

install failed. Help!!!!

Hello folks, I started to learn kali linux so i download kali linux 2020.2 live .iso and boot it on my 8gb flash drive, I want to run kali on usb persistence. I first boot the iso on rufus then partitioning half of my drive size persistence 4gb. In terminal I update kali on my flash drive "Sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y". I messed up something wrong because it takes longer the unpacking time, so i decided to stop by closing the terminal and "sudo reboot now", it leaves 1.6gb free space of my drive. Now can you give me advice about the capacity must be used in Live usb persistence? 8gb is not enough to do the job but im planning to boot again in a flash drive, but this time has a large volume space.

Quote Originally Posted by InsidderVulnera View Post
    Hello folks, I started to learn kali linux so i download kali linux 2020.2 live .iso and boot it on my 8gb flash drive, I want to run kali on usb persistence. I first boot the iso on rufus then partitioning half of my drive size persistence 4gb. In terminal I update kali on my flash drive "Sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y". I messed up something wrong because it takes longer the unpacking time, so i decided to stop by closing the terminal and "sudo reboot now", it leaves 1.6gb free space of my drive. Now can you give me advice about the capacity must be used in Live usb persistence? 8gb is not enough to do the job but im planning to boot again in a flash drive, but this time has a large volume space.
    There's no need to only use 4g. What you need to do after DLing live is make the rest of your free space persistence. So if kali live is 2.6g then you'll have roughly 5.4g left. And if using rufus you can leave that free space blank and no need to format. You'll do that in the steps using kali instruction. Then you can boot into kali live and follow instructions on kali documents page on making a persistent usb. It'll be step that starts with this, " Next, create an ext3 file system in the partition and label it persistence." But remember when doing it this way the free space you created using rufus probably won't be /dev/sdb3... I think it usually is sdb2. You'll have to look to make sure. Google how to see partitions using kali or something.

Yeah isee. After that I must? "sudo apt update" OR "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y"

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this query.

I am trying to set up Kali Linux with persistence on a usb. I have had consistent success with booting it all up, as well as partitioning the drive. My issue is two fold. First, I?m still unclear on whether persistence is to be used on the live Kali Linux image, or on the installer. Second, on the live version, I made it through the mounting of the correct partition onto a new directory, and adding a persistence configuration file. It all works there. But when I unmount and reboot, voila, my stuff isn?t saved, the directory is gone. I also created a test nano file and it also wasn?t saved. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

I Try to update on my usb persistence. sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y. Its ridiculously take hours, "Progress: [12%] in 3 hours" Man should I interrupted this?

Hi everyone
    I want to use Kali Linux Live on my MacBook Pro (2018) with touchbar.
    But after start Kali, my touchpud and keyboard don't work.
    Help me please

I had the same issue until I used the newest version of unetbootin. mxplayer get-mxplayer.in

Last edited by dhanushx012; 2020-08-22 at 11:31.

When ever I try to boot into kali live persistence this happens and it does not boot into live persistence
    https://imgur.com/t5n6Vmm
    But I am able to boot into live mode

Hi Muts,

I am running Kali Linux Live from a bootable USB r because when I tried using the installer version (kali-linux-2020.2-installer-i386.exe) the installation process would not go beyond the partitioning tool.... it seemed it did not "see", recognize my partitions or HD.... How can I fix this? My presumption is that I messed up the partitions of the HD in some way.... any way to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hi muts!

Last night i start the instalation of Kali Linux 20 ( the latest version which was available last night) into my macbook pro 2012 from an usb disk

I want to mention i don?t know nothing about instalation procedures or how to use the sistem i just followed a youtube tutorial i?m new on this and i just want to start learning ethical hacking using kali linux

I know is gonna sound stupid but..:

Everything works fine till i get to the moment when i supposed to thick what tools i wanted to be installed in and after i thick all of them i couldn?t move the downd key to the ?continue? button anymore and i get stuck by 10 mins i couldn?t go back and my track pad was not working till i install the driver i suppose.

After those 10 mins past i decided ti start everything from the beginning thinking if i will force shut down the machine and i will open again into boot mode maybe i will be able this time to move into the ?continue? button and finish the instalation

When start my laptop it takes me straight to GRUB 2.04 version

I tried some fixing methods found on forums but nothing work probably because the instalation not been finished or forced intrerupted .

I am willing to pay for my mistake

I would really appreaciate and open for a reward if somebody will be able to offer a solution for my problem

And please be patient as i don?t know any type of terminologi / computer language

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    you should download Rufus. its allows you to set partition for live persistence Kali.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufus.mirror/
    Agree, follow a good youtube tutorial for this using rufus and latest weekly kali image...they are updated...weekly lol. So easy to set up with persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by InsidderVulnera View Post
    I Try to update on my usb persistence. sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y. Its ridiculously take hours, "Progress: [12%] in 3 hours" Man should I interrupted this?
    You should save important files and just re-do kali with new weekly image...so much faster and easier. Then you can install and update stuff Right after without errors and of course you’re kernel will be upgraded!!

I tried to download, but an access denied error message appears, may I know why is that I was blocked:

----------The message was:
    Title: Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

Body:
    If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

Hey i am a beginner. I want to use older version of kali (2018.2) for my usb bootable device but i cant find where to download 2018.2 live iso file.. Please somebody provide me link or steps to download.Any help would be appericated. forgive my grammar.

i have installed kali linux using this method .but when i try to boot it from my hdd its showing that firmware is missing. can anyone help me..my device is acer one 10

Dual boot(?) With a live ISO on USB [problem]

Hello everyone.

I tried installing a live ISO on a USB stick to not compromise the rest of my files, however, it went a bit wrong.
    The problem is that I ran the installation file and after rebooting my computer (following the steps it instructed me), it showed me a dual boot screen as shown in the attached image.
    If I select the second option, it detects the second OS as Windows, and gives me back a bunch of errors
    IMG_20200930_232253.jpg
    The text that appears after I select the second option is the following:
    "
    Windows could not be initiated. It is possible that a recent change of hardware or software might be the cause. To solve the problem:
    1. Insert the disc of installation of Windows and reboot the system
    2. Choose the configuration of language and click on "next"
    3. Click on "repair pc"
    If you do not have this disc, contact the administrator of the system or the manufacturer of the computer to get help.
    File: \g2lr.mbr
    State: 0xc000007b
    Info: The application or operating system cannot be loaded because there is a missing file or it is corrupted.

"
    These are rough translations; the original message is in Spanish.

If someone is able to help me either complete the installation or help me delete Linux completely so my system does not dual boot every time it will be very appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

can i use etcher to burn the iso to usb ? and will that setup the persistence partition ?

simple question. . . Is it possible to update my Kali Linux Live from a bootable USB from the ISO? since I don't have a great download speed and I lower the ISO with Torrent.