Thread: Mega Desktop App (MEGAsync)

Mega Desktop App (MEGAsync)

I've searched the forums, and read a couple of archived threads concerning dependency issues, when attempting to install megasync.

I stumbled onto a solution that may help others. Mega maintains a version of megasync for Debian Testing. You can find it here:

https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/Debian_testing/amd64/

Browsing one directory up from there, you'll find source files, which could possibly be used to compile a 32bit version, but that's beyond the scope of this how-to (or I could simply be wrong).

Once you've downloaded the megasync_4.5.3-1.1_amd64.deb package (or whichever version is current when you're reading this), you can use dpkg to install.

Code:
    dpkg -i megasync_4.5.3-1.1_amd64.deb
    Then,

Code:
    apt -f install
    Last edited by ColForbin; 2021-08-23 at 20:55.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Quote Originally Posted by ColForbin View Post
    I've searched the forums, and read a couple of archived threads concerning dependency issues, when attempting to install megasync.

I stumbled onto a solution that may help others. Mega maintains a version of megasync for Debian Testing. You can find it here:

https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/Debian_testing/amd64/

Browsing one directory up from there, you'll find source files, which could possibly be used to compile a 32bit version, but that's beyond the scope of this how-to (or I could simply be wrong).

Once you've downloaded the megasync_4.5.3-1.1_amd64.deb package (or whichever version is current when you're reading this), you can use dpkg to install.

Code:
    dpkg -i megasync_4.5.3-1.1_amd64.deb
    Then,

Code:
    apt -f install
    I don't know what MegaSync is but it sounded interesting so I wanted to have a go at installing it. I downloaded it and was looking forward to seeing what it was, however, my anticipation was short-lived when Terminal returned the following:

┌──(root��kali)-[/home/tommy/Downloads]
    └─# dpkg -i megasync_4.5.3-1.1_amd64.deb
    dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'megasync_4.5.3-1.1_amd64.deb': No such file or directory

Do you know why it does this and how to fix it?

Thanks

~ Tommy

Here is an updated method of installing MEGAsync, the proper way:

First, we need to download and "unpack" the ascii-armored signing key from Mega's server, and install it to our keyrings directory.

In a terminal, issue the following command:
    Code:
    wget --inet4-only -O- https://mega.nz/linux/repo/Debian_testing/Release.key | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/megasync-archive-keyring.gpg
    Then, we create a file, separate from Kali's sources.list file, containing Mega's repository (adjust for the architecture of your system):
    Code:
    echo "deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/megasync-archive-keyring.gpg] https://mega.nz/linux/repo/Debian_testing ./" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/megasync.list
    Next, we update our package lists, install any outstanding updates, and remove packages no longer required:
    Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade && sudo apt autoremove
    Finally, we can install MEGAsync:
    Code:
    sudo apt install megasync
    If you're using GNOME as your desktop environment, you can now integrate MEGA into the Nautilus file manager via:
    Code:
    sudo apt install nautilus-megasync
    Similarly, if you're using the default Xfce desktop environment, you can now integrate MEGA into the Thunar file manager with:
    Code:
    sudo apt install thunar-megasync
    Last edited by ColForbin; 2022-03-19 at 17:29.
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Is the MegaSync desktop app safe?