Thread: Clone Kali Linux Live USB to Windows HDD?

Clone Kali Linux Live USB to Windows HDD?

Hi, I have a Kali Linux 2021.3 Live USB with Encrypted Persistence. I want to clone it to my Windows 11 Hard Disk. SSD. I can Mount the Windows Samsung EVO 860. From my Kali Live USB. I can't Mount my WD 1TB. Because it's formatted ReFS. My Live USB doesn't recognize it. But it does show up in "fdisk -l." I would rather Clone it to the WD 1TB. It has more space than the 500GB Samsung SSD. (Boot.) So is it possible? Clonezilla? "dd"? Also, if I use "dd sdc > sda", will it erase my Windows 11? Do I need to create a Partition on my C: SSD? Shrink? To Clone my Kali Live USB? Format ext4? Or can I just Clone it to sdaX? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows. Or have it delete anything. On my SSD. I have a lot on it. So can it be done? Please reply. Thanks

I'm back...I decided to buy a cheap USB 2.0 256GB. And Clone to it. Will that work?

Good plan clonzilla or dd should do it

Hey there! I recently switched my HP laptop, with an SSD and Windows 11 to Kali. I did it two different ways before I settled on a final install. First, using Rufus I created a bootable USB with the Live Image (Note: You may need another PC running Windows). Just booting Kali Live from a USB requires turning OFF Secure Boot and for simplicity's sake, switching the boot order so USB is first.If you want to install Kali on your hard drive and not have a Dual-Boot with Windows, Launch Kali Live (no-persistance), open GParted, format your main partition, then (this is where the 2nd PC comes in or you could image another USB with the Installer Image), if you do not have a bootable Installer Image, get one and boot it. You will be presented with the Install Screen Graphical Install, Automated Install, etc.
    I hope that helps!

How did you get on Mike? I'm, interested as I am learning how to do something similar and I found these forums to help.

Gparted works well, as I used windows partition manager to partition my D drive, then installed Kali and Grub, partitioned again and then installed Parrot OS. I had to increase the size of Kali image as it was 40gb in size and my partition was 40gb and I had a lot of trouble getting the kali image to see the partition size of 100gb.

If anyone is having trouble with resizing the partition

How to Resize a Live Filesystem on Linux

https://www.***********************a-MeH95ei1g

You can also use systemback as well. However, I had problems when my system was encrypted. When it wasnt it worked fine. So maybe not the way to go if you are encrypted.

Did your HP laptop with Windows 11 have a TPM and bitlocker? The reason I ask is that I bought an inexpensive HP laptop running Win11 and I want to make it my Kali machine. Even though it is cheap it has more power than the Vista era HP that I am currently using for my Kali machine. I booted the latest live Kali (2021.4) off a memory stick with persistence. It works like a champ live but now that I have tested Kali out and believe that the things I need worik (mouse, USB long range WiFi adapter, etc) I want to take the plunge and install it *over* Windows 11. I don't want dual boot I just want to completely replace Win11. I'm reluctant to go ahead though because when I look at the desk top I notice that the SSD on the laptop is encrypted (bitlocker). I turned off secure boot and changed the boot order but I didn't touch the TPM and that all worked nicely but I fear that trying to write to a bitlocker protected drive may fail and not be recoverable. I think I have to disable bitlocker and maybe decrypt the disk. Do you or anyone else on this forum have any advice for the next step? My inclination is to get into Win11 and see if I can turn off bitlocker and decrypt the disk. Have you or anyone else on this forum done that and then successfully installed Kali over Win11?