Hi all,

Hardware used:
RaspberryPi 3b+
Waveshare 3.5" (B) rev 2.0 display

Kali version: 2021.4 ( stock out of the box, no mods ).

Issue:

In the past I've been running the stickyfingers distro on this setup without any issues.
Recently I've downloaded 2021.4 and can't get it to work anymore.

When I do my initial boot, connected through HDMI, I get my regular XCFE desktop environment.
If I then proceed to use the Waveshare drivers for my display ( https://github.com/waveshare/LCD-show ) my system reboots into a CLI-login, after telling me the lightdm service has failed to load.
Under no circumstance can I get it to run a GUI again.
I've also tried adding the "pi" user to the system as this script was technically built to store some stuff in its root directory and have run the scripts from there, with no success.

Alternatively I try and use the kalipi-tft-config tool after a reboot I'm stuck with a blinking cursor in the top left corner of my LCD display.

At the moment I'm about a week into this, trying all manner of different approaches, browsing the web endlessly and I'm at a loss right now.
I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and get a new display that connects through HDMI, but I thought I'd give it another shot by posting here.

Anyone ever encounter this or have any ideas as to how I could get this working once again?