Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Deploy - What a Terrible Disappointment for Kali install

Linux Deploy - What a Terrible Disappointment for Kali install

I finally installed Kali Linux on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus with Linux Deploy. The OS is running, but the problem is, even with the added "missing" repos in the sources.list, the pentesting tools are missing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board for me I guess. I just wish someone can come up with a straightforward way of installing Kali linux for smartphones and tablets.

did you remember to apt-update after adding the sources?

Yes. Update then upgrade. I've manually installed air crack and wifite. I'd rather not do this for all the 200-300 toolset.

there is a thread about pentest tools, do a forum search should be pretty easy to find

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestshadow View Post
    there is a thread about pentest tools, do a forum search should be pretty easy to find
    If you have installed kali linux in a smartphone, please share with us what you did to get the complete kali pen test tools.

The point of this post is to point out that kali linux install does not install the pen test tools. You have to install them manually one-by-one, which defeats the whole purpose of kali as a pen test distro.

I can run the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands, but they only update the system install. Even when the sources.list has been update to include the bleeding edge packages, again, apt-get update will go through the motion of retrieving the packages, but the apt-get upgrade command does not install anything.

To see what I mean, go ahead and install kali linux on your smartphone. The best way right now is to use Linux Deploy. If you don't want to bother with that, Complete Linux Installer now support Kali also. Unfortunately, the downloaded image does not include the pen testing tools.

With backtrack 5 if was so much simpler. All you had to do was download the bt5 image for arm (I have yet to figure out what the generic kali-linux-1.0-armhf.img.gz is for, or which arm device it will work in).

I have successfully installed the images for the raspberry pi and SS 8808. I can't why there isn't a working image for smartphones (as it was with bt5).

From the Github page :

Try for install all packages Kali (need ~ 4 GB on disk):

sudo -s
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kali-linux -yq

Quote Originally Posted by Fi7a View Post
    From the Github page :

Try for install all packages Kali (need ~ 4 GB on disk):

sudo -s
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kali-linux -yq
    That command seems to work. However, the partition ran out of space before the install could complete. This is in Complete Linux Installer. I will try again with a larger partition.

Quote Originally Posted by clearday View Post
    That command seems to work. However, the partition ran out of space before the install could complete. This is in Complete Linux Installer. I will try again with a larger partition.
    I too was able to get it mostly there, but ate up all 4 GB of the standard image quite quickly. Linux Deploy seems unable to resize the .img file (I am unsure if this was a stated feature), so I am going to hook my HP Touchpad up to a Linux VM and do it from there. Does anyone have a particularly good way to resize an img file?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscotsman74656 View Post
    I too was able to get it mostly there, but ate up all 4 GB of the standard image quite quickly. Linux Deploy seems unable to resize the .img file (I am unsure if this was a stated feature), so I am going to hook my HP Touchpad up to a Linux VM and do it from there. Does anyone have a particularly good way to resize an img file?
    I think you'll need about 6GB for the apt-get upgrade to work. I just started using the Galaxy Note 10.1 version of Kali with my Galaxy Note 2, and the image is 5.85 GB.
    Last edited by clearday; 04-13-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clearday View Post
    I think you'll need about 6GB for the apt-get upgrade to work. I just started using the Galaxy Note 10.1 version of Kali with my Galaxy Note 2, and the image is 5.85 GB.
    That is good to know, thanks for posting! I will try one of the alternate methods of installing through Linux Deploy. Since I am limited by FAT32's maximum filesize of 4 GB I will see if the directory installation or some other such thing works. It would be fantastic to have a fully functioning Linux distro on my Touchpad!