Thread: Linux Deploy - What a Terrible Disappointment for Kali install

Linux Deploy - What a Terrible Disappointment for Kali install

I finally installed Kali Linux on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus with Linux Deploy. The OS is running, but the problem is, even with the added "missing" repos in the sources.list, the pentesting tools are missing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board for me I guess. I just wish someone can come up with a straightforward way of installing Kali linux for smartphones and tablets.

did you remember to apt-update after adding the sources?

Yes. Update then upgrade. I've manually installed air crack and wifite. I'd rather not do this for all the 200-300 toolset.

there is a thread about pentest tools, do a forum search should be pretty easy to find

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestshadow View Post
    there is a thread about pentest tools, do a forum search should be pretty easy to find
    If you have installed kali linux in a smartphone, please share with us what you did to get the complete kali pen test tools.

The point of this post is to point out that kali linux install does not install the pen test tools. You have to install them manually one-by-one, which defeats the whole purpose of kali as a pen test distro.

I can run the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands, but they only update the system install. Even when the sources.list has been update to include the bleeding edge packages, again, apt-get update will go through the motion of retrieving the packages, but the apt-get upgrade command does not install anything.

To see what I mean, go ahead and install kali linux on your smartphone. The best way right now is to use Linux Deploy. If you don't want to bother with that, Complete Linux Installer now support Kali also. Unfortunately, the downloaded image does not include the pen testing tools.

With backtrack 5 if was so much simpler. All you had to do was download the bt5 image for arm (I have yet to figure out what the generic kali-linux-1.0-armhf.img.gz is for, or which arm device it will work in).

I have successfully installed the images for the raspberry pi and SS 8808. I can't why there isn't a working image for smartphones (as it was with bt5).

From the Github page :

Try for install all packages Kali (need ~ 4 GB on disk):

sudo -s
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kali-linux -yq

Quote Originally Posted by Fi7a View Post
    From the Github page :

Try for install all packages Kali (need ~ 4 GB on disk):

sudo -s
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kali-linux -yq
    That command seems to work. However, the partition ran out of space before the install could complete. This is in Complete Linux Installer. I will try again with a larger partition.

Quote Originally Posted by clearday View Post
    That command seems to work. However, the partition ran out of space before the install could complete. This is in Complete Linux Installer. I will try again with a larger partition.
    I too was able to get it mostly there, but ate up all 4 GB of the standard image quite quickly. Linux Deploy seems unable to resize the .img file (I am unsure if this was a stated feature), so I am going to hook my HP Touchpad up to a Linux VM and do it from there. Does anyone have a particularly good way to resize an img file?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscotsman74656 View Post
    I too was able to get it mostly there, but ate up all 4 GB of the standard image quite quickly. Linux Deploy seems unable to resize the .img file (I am unsure if this was a stated feature), so I am going to hook my HP Touchpad up to a Linux VM and do it from there. Does anyone have a particularly good way to resize an img file?
    I think you'll need about 6GB for the apt-get upgrade to work. I just started using the Galaxy Note 10.1 version of Kali with my Galaxy Note 2, and the image is 5.85 GB.
    Last edited by clearday; 2013-04-13 at 18:37.

I think you'll need about 6GB for the apt-get upgrade to work. I just started using the Galaxy Note 10.1 version of Kali with my Galaxy Note 2, and the image is 5.85 GB.
    That is good to know, thanks for posting! I will try one of the alternate methods of installing through Linux Deploy. Since I am limited by FAT32's maximum filesize of 4 GB I will see if the directory installation or some other such thing works. It would be fantastic to have a fully functioning Linux distro on my Touchpad!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscotsman74656 View Post
    That is good to know, thanks for posting! I will try one of the alternate methods of installing through Linux Deploy. Since I am limited by FAT32's maximum filesize of 4 GB I will see if the directory installation or some other such thing works. It would be fantastic to have a fully functioning Linux distro on my Touchpad!
    To get around FAT32's 4GB limitation, I've reformatted my external sdcard to ext4. Another option is exfat, but I don't know if the HP TouchPad supports it.

The ARM distro documentation (SS808, Raspberry Pi) recommends at least 8GB and it seems to be the feasible storage to have if you plan on saving files in the Kali partition. Even 5.85GB, after running apt-get upgrade, I now only have a little over 1GB space left for Kali.

Has anyone figured out a way around or how to resize the 4gb partition Linux Deploy creates?

As of yesterday I have succesfully installed Kali Linux through Linux Deploy on the Play Store. Works amazingly well. Within the Linux Deploy settings you have an option for image size, i bumped mine up to 8192MB, doubtful it would create an image that big...it actually did! and it works wonderfully using the hard float abi Also thanks to clearday, i've installed all of the kali-linux tools. However i am having errors with postgresql :/ Currently using an sgh-i337 (Samsung Galaxy S4 on at&t). However i've been recently trying to find out what sort of wireless chipset the phone uses. I've tried dmesg from the terminal emulator as well as from within the kali image. Cant find anything of use (that i readily recognize anyways). Also i have installed and tried 'lshw', but it also doesnt give me anything to work with. Any ideas as to how i can try to find out exactly what sort of wifi chipset i have? Really the only thing i've read on those outputs that rings a bell is "bcmsdh_sdmmc", and all i can understand out of that is broadcom....then i get lost. I'd really like to look into how to develop a patch/driver that would allow the galaxy s4 to support monitor mode and packet injection...but honestly i dont even have the slightest clue as to where to start. Can anyone give me any insight?

Lightbulb Kali Linux using Linux Deploy on GT-N7000 (Samsung Galaxy Note) walkthrough

I'm sharing this simple walkthrough for everyone's reference on how to install the default or full setup of Kali with Linux Deploy.

Here's what I did on my GT-N7000 with Kali on Linux Deploy:

Code:
    [19:21:38] >>> begin: status
    [19:21:38] Linux Deploy version: 1.3.9-72
    [19:21:38] Android version: 4.0.4
    [19:21:38] Device: samsung GT-N7000
    [19:21:38] CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
    [19:21:38] MemTotal: 827492 kB
    [19:21:38] SwapTotal: 0 kB
    [19:21:38] Support loop device: yes
    [19:21:38] Supported file systems: ext2 ext3 ext4 fuseblk j4fs msdos vfat
    [19:21:38] Active system: Kali GNU/Linux 1.0
    [19:21:38] Running services: 
    [19:21:38] * SSH: yes
    [19:21:38] * VNC: yes
    [19:21:38] Mounted parts on Linux: 
    [19:21:38] * /
    [19:21:38] * /proc
    [19:21:38] * /sys
    [19:21:38] * /dev
    [19:21:38] * /dev/pts
    [19:21:38] * /dev/shm
    [19:21:38] Available mount points: 
    [19:21:38] * /system: 0.0/0.8 GB (ext4)
    [19:21:38] * /cache: 0.2/0.2 GB (ext4)
    [19:21:38] * /efs: 0.0/0.0 GB (ext4)
    [19:21:38] * /data: 0.3/2.0 GB (ext4)
    [19:21:38] * /mnt/sdcard: 9.4/11.1 GB (vfat)
    [19:21:38] * /mnt/sdcard/external_sd: 6.2/29.7 GB (vfat)
    [19:21:38] Available partitions: 
    [19:21:38] * /dev/block/mmcblk1p1: 31.9 GB (Win95 FAT32 (LBA))
    [19:21:38] <<< end: status

Checked my storage first, and you'll notice later why I didn't go for it, don't have enough space for any of the two:

Code:
    root@localhost:~# df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop3      4.0G  1.3G  2.5G  35% /
    tmpfs           405M   76K  404M   1% /dev
    tmpfs           405M     0  405M   0% /dev/shm

Look for the packages

Code:
    root@localhost:~# apt-cache search kali-linux

kali-linux (2,667 MB) ~ Penetration testing and security auditing distribution, default system
    kali-linux-full (2,703 MB) ~ Penetration testing and security auditing distribution, full system
    I will stop here as stated earlier, I don't have enough space to proceed with the installation as I only have 2.5Gb free of space. Wish this one helps. Thank you.

./Raleigh

Using a Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T (SGH-i337), i was successful installing and running Kali Linux using Linux Deploy, also a success installing all the required tools with 'sudo apt-get install kali-linux -yq' by creating an image 7168MB in size ...however now after flashing a new ROM to the phone i am getting an error after using that command. It says that 'binwalk' is not installed and depends on something else that isnt installed. I've downloaded binwalk 1.2.1 from the code.google.com site...but it throws an error saying that 'setup.py' cannot be found...even though it is in the home directory as the file i had just ran. Any ideas?

its all there, it all works. It works well. Try a different mirror if you need to. I built a 15gig file system with linux deploy on my main drive and and installed kali-linux and kali-linux-full to get ALL tools that come standard. Postgresql doesn't want to run out the box. You got to set up a user, config postgresql to look for that user, and find your socket. You can also follow BT5 instructions to set up metasploit with msql. Not everyone has 15 gigs on their internal which is why it is up to you to pick and choose which tools you want. Debian standards will not configure these tools for you so if you can't make your own image you better know how the tools work. Dont try to install a graphic server on a small device and expect wonderfull resaults. Consider netboot images and faking pictures of your success on youtube. SGH -i337

I found a way around these problems I've read about here, but I can't remember how to do them properly.

I have this working very well, currently connected to the vnc server running on a MK802 HDMI dongle, but only the base Kali system.

I used a 16GB sd card with fat so I also have the 4GB limits, so want to make another 4095 image or images to put the full Kali installation on.
    But like I said I can't remember how to do this properly.

I know we need to make the images first, can I do this inside Linux Deploy or do I need to do some DD magic outside of LD to get this all set up?

The base Kali sys is put on /dev/loop1

How can we add secondary and tertiary images so this gets around the 4095MB vfat problem we have?

As with the above I forget how to make the symbolic links both inside the system and for LD to the mount points LD needs, and of course the images we need for all of this to work.
    Getting this to work we have the extra images (linux2.img, linux3.img) on the sd cards and they should be mounted as /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3

But alas, we also need the mount points in Linux Deploy, and I'm not sure how to do that either.

How do we add more partitions to LD?

it worked for me. i ve flashed Adam Kernel 2.2 to my S4 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2264454) that supports exFAT, i ve reformatted my 32gb sdcard and managed to create 8192 mb linux.img file on it.

Just wanted to say i successfully installed this onto a ext4 partition (41GB), and installed apt-get install kali-linux-yq but it took literally overnight to finish, but now im all set and updated, and the partition size is 6.313 GB

I hope this helps in the future, this is what I did.

Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-5110
    Pac-Rom - stable
    Rom vr. - 4.3
    Rom kernal - Linux 3.0

open Linux deploy
    click properties (far upper right towards top)
    within the action section
    Distribution - Kali Linux
    Distribution Suite - kali
    Architecture - armf
    image size (MB) - 7168
    Desktop Environment - LXDE
    Select components:
    - Desktop Environment *
    - SSH Server *
    - VNC Server *
    - X Server *
    - Kali components *

Graphic subsystem - VNC
    GUI settings:
    - Display 0
    - Depth (bits) 16
    - Dpi 75
    - Width 1280
    - Height 800

Hello everyone!.. first you guys rock!... not to the issue, I am trying to run 'apt-get install kaili-linux -yq' and that works and gets some large number of packages to install, but once it starts, I get hung up on the 'configure kismit' screen.. I cant click the 'ok' button no matter what I try, mouse click (all three), enter on keyboard and send key combo.... I cant think of what I am doing wrong.. can someone help?.... please and thank you !...

see my post ..
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?18379

still on the older image but I dont have any issues with postgres just my shells crashing .. ( I think its android killing them for high cpu or some **** .. )
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2014-04-01 at 08:47. Reason: Swearing

Quote Originally Posted by OttOkint View Post
    Hello everyone!.. first you guys rock!... not to the issue, I am trying to run 'apt-get install kaili-linux -yq' and that works and gets some large number of packages to install, but once it starts, I get hung up on the 'configure kismit' screen.. I cant click the 'ok' button no matter what I try, mouse click (all three), enter on keyboard and send key combo.... I cant think of what I am doing wrong.. can someone help?.... please and thank you !...
    I know, that the post is old, but considering that I just had the same problem, I want to give a solution:
    You have to use the arrow-keys to select the "OK" button. Then continue by sending "return".

when i start up kali linux with linux deploy there is no login screen so i cant seem to login and use the command screen as root user. anyone know why this is? I am new at this so a complete explanation would be awesome.

After trying all the commands that I see in here. I still get this http://i.imgur.com/EVTSe5A.png

Yes. Update then upgrade. I've manually installed air crack and wifite. I'd rather not do this for all the 200-300 toolset.

Hi you can use :

sudo apt-get install kali-linux-full
    this cmd to get all tools

and

sudo apt-get install kali-linux-web
    ( for web tools )

sudo apt-get install kali-linux-wireless
    ( for wireless tools )
    and so
    you can visite
    https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-metapackages/
    for more cmd

If somebody has a problem with rooting device when installing Linux Deploy! I found some tool for android to do it fast! Russian Linux article just install rootmaster http://root.ngemobi.com. Everything was done well in few minutes on my Samsung galaxy tab 2. I installed Kali Linux afterwards!

It's working on S5 g900F (klte) with CM12.1
    And 8GB image..
    Important for me was to use(!) the built-in shell and not busybox.

But... AS far AS i know it's still not possible to get The wifi chipset in monitor mode :-(

I would really loke to use the Bluetooth tools.. But i don't know how.. The iwconfig output an the hwinfo output don't look to me like they show me theBluetooth interface\adapter :-((((

The biggest issue with Android devices is that to do a lot of the things you guys are thinking of, you're going to have to modify the kernel of the device. This isn't necessarily hard, but it will have an effect on various parts of the Android device. You'll also likely need to use external wifi or bluetooth devices connected to the usb port via an adapter, as most device hardware uses drivers that have been written or modified heavily by the OEMs. That typically requires recompiling the kernel(s) of the devices as well, since they usually will only enable enough devices to what is actually built-in to the device.

I'd highly suggest looking into something like NetHunter if you have the supported hardware, or the PwnPhone/PwnPad (devices if you have the money, community edition if you don't), again, if you have the supported hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by the huncker ma View Post
    Hi you can use :

sudo apt-get install kali-linux-full
    this cmd to get all tools

and

sudo apt-get install kali-linux-web
    ( for web tools )

sudo apt-get install kali-linux-wireless
    ( for wireless tools )
    and so
    you can visite
    https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-metapackages/
    for more cmd
    Thats right.

Anyway, I installed Kali Linux on my Samsung Galaxy S3 through Linux Deploy and VNC.

Whenever I try to use aircrack or wifite, i get some errors.
    The one on wifite is this:
    "Unable to detect for sdio"

Do I have to install any wireless drivers? Do I have to connect the Kali Linux at VNC with my wifi and wicd?

I have been wasting 3 days on google,youtube etc.. to find a solution but never found one.

Would appreciate if anyone helps me out.

Thanks.

I install Kali on my Android with Linux deploy and everything went fine but when I update it and installed gnome with synaptic and after installation I shutdown it and open it again but vnc screen turn grey and white
    What can I do to solve your it

Have you tried Kali Nethunter? You can VNC to a full Kali Desktop on there. It runs on top of the android OS.

Have someone managed to get the internal wifi chipset to work in monitor mode with this kind of setup?
    linux deploy passes the wifi interface as wlan0 but its actually an ethernet interface (no wireless extensions) so i think it might be done via android OS instead.
    i haven't found any way to do it

Screenshot_2016-03-09-13-11-05.jpg I need help with this ERROR. "FAILED GETTING RELEASE FILE". I been trying to install kali linux on android all day.

Quote Originally Posted by KaliLinux_ View Post
    Screenshot_2016-03-09-13-11-05.jpg I need help with this ERROR. "FAILED GETTING RELEASE FILE". I been trying to install kali linux on android all day.
    25jje4mPNG.jpg my first pic was too small. here us a better one i hope.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/25jje4m.jpg here is the link to a bigger pic hopefully.

ok i fixed it by using a different version of BusyBox. I was using v1.24.1 at first then i used v1.23.2 https://github.com/meefik/busybox/releases and i was able to get the release file. I will report back if I get Kali Linux to run or not or if i get any other errors.

Hello. How did you fix the "VNC grey and white screen" issue? I installed Kali Linux, "Kali Rolling" distribution suite on my Nexus 5 and I have the same issue. If installed "Sana" distribution suite, everything is ok. Thank you for your answer.