Thread: "Permission denied" in NetHunter Chroot (LOS)

"Permission denied" in NetHunter Chroot (LOS)

Hello,

I recently got a Nexus 6P (angler) to play around with NetHunter, and I managed to install NetHunter properly on top of the stock Android 8.1. Then I discovered LineageOS, which I attempted to set up with NetHunter, following the instructions on XDA (I did perform a full wipe when installing Lineage as a prerequisite there, so leftover components from Android 8.1 shouldn't be an issue).

Magisk and NetHunter both seem to have flashed properly, though I did see a few errors about failing to unmount `/vendor` after the flash in TWRP -- not sure how relevant that might be. Interestingly, Magisk reports that the phone has SAR, which it didn't on Android 8.1, though I'm guessing this is just a difference between Android 8 and LineageOS 17 (Android 10). I can use the NetHunter Terminal to open both normal and rooted Android shells, so rooting doesn't seem to be the issue here.

When I install the Kali chroot and attempt to open a Kali shell, though, things get interesting. The terminal session fails with a `su: failed to execute /usr/bin/zsh: Operation not permitted` error, which is really strange, since I should be logged in as root in the Kali chroot environment. From an Android root shell, I can see that the permissions on `/data/local/nhsystem/kali-arm64` (the chroot directory) are set to `rwxr-xr-x`, with root as the owner. The same applies to `/usr/bin/zsh`, so I'm a bit confused as to why the Kali root user can't run it.

After some additional testing, things get even stranger. If I use the NetHunter app to run terminal commands (such as creating a boot animation), I can thereafter open the Kali shell successfully, though many commands still throw errors about permissions ("unable to lock file," etc). Also, I can't even `ls` in the chroot directory from the Kali shell (I get another permission denied error), but I can do so from a non-root Android shell. Weird.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to try them out. Also, I am willing to wipe and reinstall LineageOS/NetHunter, if that might help. Thanks!
    Last edited by LRitzdorf; 2022-01-01 at 22:06. Reason: Update with new details

I'm having the same issue... everything works as it has every time I have re-installed Nethunter until I try to install Chroot. It gives the following error: "kali nethunter checksum mismatches! the downloaded file may be compromised already!!"

Ah, yes, I should probably have mentioned that error in my original post. I do see the same issue, but I opted to install from the downloaded chroot zip anyway. Could there be an issue with the version that's being supplied by the Kali servers? Relatedly, could we potentially download an older (but known-good) version of the chroot?

Update: I found resources which pointed to build.nethunter.com as a source of the kalifs image, but the latest version available there is from 2019. I tried it anyway (making sure the checksums matched first), but still ended up with permission errors when Bash started, as well as when running simple commands like `ls`.
    While this suggests the issue isn't dependent on the checksum mismatch for the auto-downloaded image, it would be nice if we could verify this manually by downloading the current kalifs image.

We have a resolution! Sorry, this post is a little late, but hopefully it helps in case anyone else runs into this issue.

As it turns out, I was using the "standard" version of TWRP to perform my flashing. After asking on the XDA forum for NetHunter on LOS, xev helpfully pointed out that there's a separate version with support for file-based encryption (FBE). Using this to reinstall NetHunter gave me a fully functional installation!