Thread: "Permission denied" in NetHunter Chroot (LOS)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Permission denied" in NetHunter Chroot (LOS)

Hello,

I recently got a Nexus 6P (angler) to play around with NetHunter, and I managed to install NetHunter properly on top of the stock Android 8.1. Then I discovered LineageOS, which I attempted to set up with NetHunter, following the instructions on XDA (I did perform a full wipe when installing Lineage as a prerequisite there, so leftover components from Android 8.1 shouldn't be an issue).

Magisk and NetHunter both seem to have flashed properly, though I did see a few errors about failing to unmount `/vendor` after the flash in TWRP -- not sure how relevant that might be. Interestingly, Magisk reports that the phone has SAR, which it didn't on Android 8.1, though I'm guessing this is just a difference between Android 8 and LineageOS 17 (Android 10). I can use the NetHunter Terminal to open both normal and rooted Android shells, so rooting doesn't seem to be the issue here.

When I install the Kali chroot and attempt to open a Kali shell, though, things get interesting. The terminal session fails with a `su: failed to execute /usr/bin/zsh: Operation not permitted` error, which is really strange, since I should be logged in as root in the Kali chroot environment. From an Android root shell, I can see that the permissions on `/data/local/nhsystem/kali-arm64` (the chroot directory) are set to `rwxr-xr-x`, with root as the owner. The same applies to `/usr/bin/zsh`, so I'm a bit confused as to why the Kali root user can't run it.

After some additional testing, things get even stranger. If I use the NetHunter app to run terminal commands (such as creating a boot animation), I can thereafter open the Kali shell successfully, though many commands still throw errors about permissions ("unable to lock file," etc). Also, I can't even `ls` in the chroot directory from the Kali shell (I get another permission denied error), but I can do so from a non-root Android shell. Weird.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to try them out. Also, I am willing to wipe and reinstall LineageOS/NetHunter, if that might help. Thanks!
    Last edited by LRitzdorf; 2022-01-01 at 22:06. Reason: Update with new details