Thread: Install hangs using vmware

Install hangs using vmware

I'm trying to install Kali on vmWare workstation 8. After booting Kali I choose the graphical install. I configure the hard disk to use an encrypted partition, set up the password, etc. The installation hangs when approximately 10% of the way into copying the files (mouse pointer is frozen). Has anyone successfully created an encrypted Kali installation under vmWare?

I have not used vmware (hopefully never will), but from my very personal stand point of view, it is a Virtual Machine after all, it is not as close as a HD install.

Let me go even further, VM cannot use internal wifi..

If you want to use encryption in a partition, I will suggest to use HD installation.

But again, it is my personal point of view. I will never use VM's unless it is necessary, and I mean "necessary"..quite necessary, when I do not have any other option, so to speak.

Hope someone has had succsess..

Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    I have not used vmware (hopefully never will), but from my very personal stand point of view, it is a Virtual Machine after all, it is not as close as a HD install.

Let me go even further, VM cannot use internal wifi..

If you want to use encryption in a partition, I will suggest to use HD installation.

But again, it is my personal point of view. I will never use VM's unless it is necessary, and I mean "necessary"..quite necessary, when I do not have any other option, so to speak.

Hope someone has had succsess..

Luck.
    The install should work the same as a normal HD install. I have also tried it without encryption and it too hangs (fails). I have used other linux builds without any problem on vmware (Ubuntu, Fedora, backbox).

I mainly wanted to try out Kali (on vmware) before dedicating an entire machine to it.

I have it in vmware player and it all went fine

Have you tried downloading the VMware image? Seems like the easiest path to a VMware solution. The other path is installing the live edition on a usb stick and trying it that way. Lots of different ways to just give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pjweaver View Post
    The install should work the same as a normal HD install. I have also tried it without encryption and it too hangs (fails). I have used other linux builds without any problem on vmware (Ubuntu, Fedora, backbox).

I mainly wanted to try out Kali (on vmware) before dedicating an entire machine to it.
    Fedora, Ubuntu and backbox are not Debian, and never will..Some of them can be "based on" Debian, but not the same. Just to clear that concept.

Luck.

hello to all
    I would like to install vmware on kali 32
    I downloaded vmware desktop 9 for debian and since them so good
    I install and perfect
    when I send him running to me how I can solve problems with the kernel?
    thank you so munch BlAd373

installed the gnome/32bit vmware version and it doesnt work any good on 4 different machines ( all wmware workstation newest version ).
    vmware workstation crashs; take ownership doesnt work anymore. all other vms are working flawless, the kali vm has a problem.

I also have this problem with VMWare Workstation 9. I have successfully installed various Linux clients, including Debian Testing, before.

Anyone have any clue what might be causing this?

EDIT:

For those that come across this in a search. I managed to work around this problem by installing from the original 1.0 dvd from cdimage.kali.org instead of 1.0.3. Make sure to use the regular installer instead of the graphical one and select 'No' when it wants to update its packages from the internet. After the install is complete, reenter the Kali repos in /etc/apt/sources.list
    Last edited by Agarax; 2013-05-12 at 00:07.