Thread: Kali In Virtualbox WOn't Install

Angry Kali In Virtualbox WOn't Install

Hi everyone,

I'm having a little trouble installing Kali using Virtualbox. I can run Kali from the DVD drive and from the ISO on my hard drive but when I try and install it onto a Virtualbox hard drive the install crashes at 31% and I get the error "Installing the system failed".

Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

How should we have any idea what's going on ? You don't even mention what ISO you use, what Arch, how you are partitioning it, the amount of space you give it or anything else ...

Sorry, I'm quite new to using Virtualbox.

Architecture: i386
    Window Manager: Gnome
    Image type: ISO

When creating the Virtual Machine I chose Linux as the type and Debian 32bit as the version. I set the memory size to 1024MB, then I created a new virtual hard drive as a Virtualbox Disk Image which I set to 'Dynamically allocated' and then set that to 30 GB. In the settings I set the network mode to Bridged and enabled 3D acceleration.

After booting, I chose the ISO from my desktop and then chose 'Install'. I left the domain name blank. For the partition method I chose 'Guided - use entire disk', selected the VBox hard disk which was 32.2 GB and then chose 'All filed in one partition'. Then I chose 'yes' for write changes to disk' and started the install.

The install always stops at 31% while in the 'Copying to disk' stage.

4. I'm not sure if this will help, but Kali does have a VMware version that is meant to be used in virtualbox.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Hi charonsecurity,

I downloaded 'kali-linux-1.0-i386-gnome-vm' but the file type doesn't seem to be recognized by Virtualbox. Is this the version you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by charonsecurity View Post
    I'm not sure if this will help, but Kali does have a VMware version that is meant to be used in virtualbox.
    I belive the member wrote he is using Virtualbox and not vmware, just an observation, sorry.

As to the error, I would suggest to check the sha1 to see the integrity of the download, then burn the dvd at the slowest speed possible. I always use "Brasero" and it works just fine. Make sure the dvd media and dvd unit is in a 100% condition.