Thread: txpower on Alfa AWUS036NHR

txpower on Alfa AWUS036NHR

Hi, is there any way I can set txpower on this card? It is a 1000mW device but I cannot even set it to half strength (27dbm). I haven't been able to do this on any of the BackTrack versions either. Thought Kali with all the effort put into drivers might work.

Any ideas on how to set the txpower without getting the "set failed/invalid argument" error?

After doing
    Code:
    iw reg set BO
    I do
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 27dbm
    with no luck.

The chipset is RTL8188RU, using driver RTL8129CU. Monitor mode and injection works fine. Just this crappy range (20dbm max) is useless to me.

Thanks, any suggestions appreciated.

Im using a RTL8188RU chipset with RTL8192CU driver aswell. When you connect to a WiFi with NetworkManager, do you lose connection after a few minutes but the notifications keep saying your connected? Also are you running off a boot, live boot, or WMware?

I had nothing but problems with the NHR since backtrack 5r2. 2 days ago I bought the alfa36H and it works wonders. WHen I had the NHR I would have an extremely low signal and when I used airmon and put it into monitor mode, it would work fine. After I tried connecting to my network again it would disconnect and it wouldnt find any signals. I would have to unplug it and plug it back in. I just recommend the 36H. It's awesome and error free for me.

I have same low signal with my NHR adaptor .And i can do nothing ,I have another wep key from another friends who live near me and i can't conect .

I have backtrak on usb and kali on vm. I don't use network manager, it caused some issues so I always kill it aftar startup.

Thanks Lordx19, will try the 36H if I can find it...

I also removed network manager gnome. I now use wick and haven't had any problems with it since.

I have the same issue with the N version, however I also had the issue in backtrack 5 r3.

Instead i just use the alfa 036H (g version) and I am able to set txpower to 30 and have it stick normally. I hear the NHR is buggy in general in linux. Also I was never able to figure out how to switch between 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands anyway.

So whats the recommended WIFI adapter for Kali Linux, the old and steady 036H or the new and buggy NHR. Please advice.

I have the 036H and it works perfect. Picks up signals perfectly, packet injection. Everything works like a charm. My NHR Just sits there now.. The NHR just plain sucks and is a hassle.

I am using a NHA with no problems

If i put cmd i can't see my chipset from adaptor : wlan0 Unknown rtl8192cu - [phy0]

I have Adaptor Alfa AWUS 036NHR.
    What the ... is with this lasp BT--or kali .First time i was very happy because my machine work very well with this adaptor,and after few install new fresh copy on my laptop al are like something full with bugs. Inside of this forum nobody give one good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Kali44 View Post
    If i put cmd i can't see my chipset from adaptor : wlan0 Unknown rtl8192cu - [phy0]

What the ... is with this lasp BT--or kali .First time i was very happy because my machine work very well with this adaptor,and after few install new fresh copy on my laptop al are like something full with bugs. Inside of this forum nobody give one good info.
    airmon-ng also gives me unknown, but I don't think it's a big deal. Injection still works.

To see your chipset, try
    Code:
    lsusb
    or
    Code:
    lsusb | grep -i rtl
    That shows my chipset:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:817f Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188RU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

Just to confirm, got the AWUS036H with RTL8187. No problems with setting txpower to 30dBm, injects fine. It includes U-Mount pack which is pretty awesome.

Have you done the apt-get update then apt-get upgrade? Another consideration is that you may have a bad or fake NHR. Oh yeah, I had the NHR once too and it sucked so bad I returned it.

Also:

http://backtrack.pl/wiki/doku.php?id=en:cards

Quote Originally Posted by Kali44 View Post

Solved

Some good info:

- Download the latest stable kernel backports (formerly known as compat-wireless) from http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~...tml/backports/ and unzip it in /root/backports

- edit /root/backports/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.c . Change the line "REG_RULE(2412-10, 2462+10, 40, 0, 20, 0)" to "REG_RULE(2412-10, 2484+10, 40, 0, 33, 0)". This fixes the regulatory bug

- Compile the wifi tree and install it
    Code:
    cd /root/backports
    make defconfig-wifi
    make -j4
    make install
    - Reboot

Now you have a pretty stable driver for AWUS036NHR with 2000mW and 14 channels

Disclaimer: The frequencies and power rates may not be legal in your country

when i use edit /root/backports/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.c
    oe leafpad /root/backports/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.c
    or gedit /root/backports/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/regd.c
    the paper is blank nothing to see to edit ?

try this (read what you have to change! the thx power and "Look at the following Makefile and change the 2 linees to ”#PREFIX ?= /usr” and add “REG_BIN?=/lib/crda/regulatory.bin)

#! /bin/bash
    # txpower-upgrade

apt-get update -f && apt-get upgrade -fy
    iw reg set BO
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30
    apt-get install python-m2crypto libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev libnl-dev -y
    cd /lib/crda
    mv ./regulatory.bin ./regulatory.old
    if [ -d "/lib/crda/update" ] ; then
    cd ./update
    wget -O “./crda-latest.tar.bz2″ -q http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...latest.tar.bz2
    bzip2 -d “./crda-latest.tar.bz2″
    tar -xf ./crda-latest.tar
    else
    mkdir /lib/crda/update
    cd ./update
    wget -O ./crda-latest.tar.bz2 -q http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...latest.tar.bz2
    bzip2 -d ./crda-latest.tar.bz2
    tar -xf ./crda-latest.tar
    fi
    cd /lib/crda/update
    apt-get install ark -y
    wget -O ./wireless-regdb.tar.xz -q https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/...3.11.27.tar.xz
    xz -d ./wireless-regdb.tar.xz
    tar -xf ./wireless-regdb.tar
    rm ./wireless*
    cd ./wireless-reg*
    cat ./db.txt
    echo "Edit the following file (which you have just seen) to 33 txpower for your country."
    sleep 10
    nano ./db.txt
    sleep 1
    cd /lib/crda/pubkeys
    #pathWirelessRegDB=$(echo `cat /lib/crda/update/wireless*/`)
    #cp ./* $pathWirelessRegDB
    cd /lib/crda/update/wireless*
    echo ‘Look at the following Makefile and change the 2en line from to ”#PREFIX ?= /usr” and add “REG_BIN?=/lib/crda/regulatory.bin”‘
    echo
    sleep 20
    nano ./Makefile
    make
    make install
    cd /lib/crda
    cd /lib/crda/update
    cp /lib/crda/update/wireless-regdb*/regulatory.bin /lib/crda/regulatory.bin
    cd /lib/crda/
    ls
    ozzy