Thread: Install Python3.3.0 with current version intact

Install Python3.3.0 with current version intact

I find myself wanting the newer version of python for development reasons and portability. To install the newer version of Python (3.3.0) in this case (substitute for whatever version you want), do the following from the Terminal.

wget http://python.org/ftp/python/3.3.0/Python-3.3.0.tgz && tar -xvf Python-3.3.0.tgz
    cd Python-3.3.0
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make altinstall

To run the Python2.7 version, just type python at the shell prompt. To engage the new version.. type python3.3

Have fun

Hi,

Thanks but there's is another MUCH easier way to get Python 3 installed and fully functional.

1. Use the provided Software Manager and search after Python3. You'll gonna receive a list of available packages.

2. Choose python3 base and idle-python3 package. Eventually choose to be installed additonal packages which you consider you need to.

3. Push apply the let the magic begin.

Voila. packages are installed directly from the repositories without any worries that something got messy. You'll gonna find under programming section among the idle-python2 the idle-python3 as well and you can work smiling from now on.

Having extended experience with different python versions under virtualenv option and much more I've just discovered that if you want to have a clean system just try in the fist place the software manager option and as a second option you can go manually

thanks

thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr10111011 View Post
    I find myself wanting the newer version of python for development reasons and portability. To install the newer version of Python (3.3.0) in this case (substitute for whatever version you want), do the following from the Terminal.

wget http://python.org/ftp/python/3.3.0/Python-3.3.0.tgz && tar -xvf Python-3.3.0.tgz
    cd Python-3.3.0
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make altinstall

To run the Python2.7 version, just type python at the shell prompt. To engage the new version.. type python3.3

Have fun

Thank you!