Thread: E-mail scan

E-mail scan

Hello there!
    I wanted to ask You about something. One day - at my work - our IT chef sent us a suspicious e-mail - just to check who will open it, so that he knew who doesn't take care about safety - of maybe "cyber safety".
    I was wondering about 2 things.
    1 - I know the main things that such suspicious e-mail have - but the question is: "Does open an e-mail - without clicking to any "links" in there, can be harmful"?
    2 - If in 1st the answer is Yes - let's assume we have an excellent Phishing e-mail - is there a tool which we can use to "scan" such message? Or technically it is impossible to do ?
    Thank You in advance for any help/ reply/ clues.
    /rajd3r

Quote Originally Posted by rajd3r View Post
    1 - I know the main things that such suspicious e-mail have - but the question is: "Does open an e-mail - without clicking to any "links" in there, can be harmful"?
    It depends. Are you viewing it as HTML? Do you have JavaScript enabled globally?
    If the answer is yes it's theoretically possible that just the act of opening it could be enough.

You can be surfing the web, visit a site and if you have JS enabled possibly be the victim of a drive-by download where you don't have to click on anything, just open the site in your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by rajd3r View Post
    2 - If in 1st the answer is Yes - let's assume we have an excellent Phishing e-mail - is there a tool which we can use to "scan" such message? Or technically it is impossible to do ?
    Thank You in advance for any help/ reply/ clues.
    Nothing can take the place of educating yourself to the possibilities, taking necessary step to protect yourself by locking down your browser and controlling your clicking finger.