Thread: Dell D830 - Install OK, Login Screen ok, Freezes after 5 seconds, Mouse still works

Dell D830 - Install OK, Login Screen ok, Freezes after 5 seconds, Mouse still works

As the title suggests, I installed Kali https://kali.download/base-images/ka...hing-amd64.iso

The install was not entireley without issues (I was not able to select anything other than the default values with software installation)

Once installed I am able to see the login screen, and I can successfully login. After about 5 seconds (or less) the system locks up (I can see from the system monitor on the task bar on the top right as it halts)

I do not know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

After losing patience with this issue and nobody on this forum even attempting to help... I came across the "solution" myself.

The problem was temporarily resolved by patience. After getting frustrated, I walked away from the "running" device and about a half hour later, I came back and it was "unstuck"

I have since discovered that I need nvidia 340.108 graphics drivers as Nouveau does not cut it for my D830.

However 340.108 cannot compile on the current Kernel as of yet.

choose advanced start up and start in text mode you should get a console, and from there try updating graphics drivers, thats normally the issue if it freezes..
    and of course update system.. then reboot..

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    choose advanced start up and start in text mode you should get a console, and from there try updating graphics drivers, thats normally the issue if it freezes..
    and of course update system.. then reboot..
    I have since discovered that I need nvidia 340.108 graphics drivers as Nouveau does not cut it for my D830.

However 340.108 cannot compile on the current Kernel as of yet.