Thread: why is the repo for nvidia-driver so old?

why is the repo for nvidia-driver so old?

The official nvidia driver for linux is 515.xx and the Kali repo gives 470.xx
    I'm trying to install Nvidia driver following the official Kali document tutorial, by just using
    Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-driver
    , it didn't work, from what I know, it is because the nvidia-current and nvidia-modeset modules cannot be loaded by modprobe, and that is because both modules are dkms, they need to be built and loaded externally, the building process requires good linux-header to make the module work with the kernel, and the default header are simply not working for it.
    In conclusion, why is everything else, including kernel, so new and repo of the nvidia driver so old? And they are don't even work with each other...

Did you sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470

I am running 470.129.06 on Kali 5.17.0 so

Normally we install Cuda along with nvidia, so hashcat can use the GPU instead of CPU

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
    sudo apt install -y nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-toolkit
    sudo reboot -f
    sudo nvidia-smi [nvidia panel to chk communication temp etc]

Question

Hello,

Iam stuck at the drivers level, I mean
    Code:
    sudo apt install -y nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-toolkit
    does execute without error and not opening anything
    I do the reboot (not -f)

and I am still using nouveau drivers ...
    none of the pages I read document this

any clues welcomed

Thanks in advance

You must update it.The first way is via the NVIDIA Control Panel. Right-click on the windows desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Navigate to the Help menu and select Updates. The second way is via the new NVIDIA logo in the windows system tray. And if you update its application package(software), it will take time. Why? you install a small package, then your computer has to unzip and implement the new driver, while removing old drivers.

this is why it takes so long and you may sometimes see your video display’s black out for a moment when updating drivers.

if it’s taking too long, you either have the drivers installed on a slow hard drive, a slow cpu or a combination of those factors.

typically i installed new drivers within 2–3 minutes on my computer just to enjoy Capcut Templates Like rara capcut template, loading capcut template , ical capcut template, EID Mubarak Templates, Beat 5/5 Capcut Template,Mahiya X Bohemiya Template and many other on PC

which uses a water cooled Ryzen 2700x, 32GB of ram clocked at 2993mhz, on a 500gb SSD for a GTX 1070.
    Last edited by smithjohny039; 2023-05-30 at 04:37.