Thread: Kali linux 5.18.0 kali2 arm64 stuck at booting after upgraded

Thumbs up Kali linux 5.18.0 kali2 arm64 stuck at booting after upgraded

Kali linux 5.18.0 kali2 arm64 stuck at booting after upgraded.

I am getting this details while removed "quiet" from grub boot loader.

I am running Kali from VMWare Mac M1 version.

PFA screenshot with details.

screenshot-kali.jpg
    Last edited by saikat; 2022-06-25 at 14:35.

same issue with upgrading from Kali linux 5.16.0 kali7 arm64 to Kali linux 5.18.0 kali2 arm64 on a appleM1 MacBook Pro

Any update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by saikat View Post
    Kali linux 5.18.0 kali2 arm64 stuck at booting after upgraded.

I am getting this details while removed "quiet" from grub boot loader.

I am running Kali from VMWare Mac M1 version.

PFA screenshot with details.

screenshot-kali.jpg

1 week is over and since then there is no reply to this Thread?? At least Kali team should ask me any log or screenshot or something if they needed.

Awaiting your response on this.

I got the same problem.
    My current workaround is to boot older kernel (5.17 in my case) and remove 5.18.

I have tried 5.18 from experimental channel (I think it's 5.18 kali5) but still same problem. Something is not right with the kernel Config and VMware fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I got the same problem.
    My current workaround is to boot older kernel (5.17 in my case) and remove 5.18.

I have tried 5.18 from experimental channel (I think it's 5.18 kali5) but still same problem. Something is not right with the kernel Config and VMware fusion?
    Same here, Kali 5.18 on M1 just won't boot. Sticking with my snapshot for 5.16. Any clues what causes this?

Create a new VM and install latest as fresh install

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    I already fresh installed latest version of Kali Linux 2022.2 Release (Kernel 5.16.0)
    Same issue here, after apt update and full-upgrade. It's freezing at boot, luckily I have a snapshot.
    So is there going to be any progress about this?
    Thanks in advance

Kali 2022.2 crashs on boot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    Really? Rather than checking with the logs and issues, and the root cause, we have to fresh install the system?

Same issue here, Apple M1 + Fusion for ARM exp version + Kali MareMetal Installer - VM 2CPU 4096Gmem 40G. After installation (choosing either with or without tools), good on first boot, then did sudo apt update (no problem if reboot from this point), sudo apt upgrade -y , sudo reboot, problem happened, booting stuck by display Loading RamDisk.

Share here, a workaround, don't need to reinstall.
    During booting, select Advanced Options, choose third options there to boot "Kali linux 5.16.0 kali7 arm64". It will go.
    Then, should every time to choose Advance Options? I installed "sudo su" "grub-customizer" (yes to install), then edit the first boot menu content to be the same the third option of Advanced. Save/Reboot. It goes.

I don't know what is the problem of new Kali linux 5.18.0 kali5 arm64. Wish kali expertise to support.

Quote Originally Posted by dv9r View Post
    Same issue here, Apple M1 + Fusion for ARM exp version + Kali MareMetal Installer - VM 2CPU 4096Gmem 40G. After installation (choosing either with or without tools), good on first boot, then did sudo apt update (no problem if reboot from this point), sudo apt upgrade -y , sudo reboot, problem happened, booting stuck by display Loading RamDisk.

Share here, a workaround, don't need to reinstall.
    During booting, select Advanced Options, choose third options there to boot "Kali linux 5.16.0 kali7 arm64". It will go.
    Then, should every time to choose Advance Options? I installed "sudo su" "grub-customizer" (yes to install), then edit the first boot menu content to be the same the third option of Advanced. Save/Reboot. It goes.

I don't know what is the problem of new Kali linux 5.18.0 kali5 arm64. Wish kali expertise to support.
    Your workaround is correct.

The issue is that VMWare Fusion has a bug that makes it incompatible with the 5.18 kernel, and while we were reverting it in 5.16 and 5.17, it's no longer feasible for us to do so. We've been in contact with VMWare about getting an update out, but unfortunately, there is nothing we can do in Kali about this, and have to wait for VMWare to push out a build with the fix in it.

Have you tried updating your boot config after you've updated the system?

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

i'm having the same issue on hyper-v, it happens right after you "dist-upgrade" and restart

Thanks for this info. Just my luck i'm new to this on a course which requires Kali tried parallels absolutly no way for me to get their tools to install, just somthing i don't like about them. Forums are weird also

Tried vmware everything works first time software is currently free as in open preview seems stable enough vmware tools were installed by default. Least I know why updating caused an issue but easy enough using a slightly older kernal

Hopefully either linux kernal will be updated to fix the issue or VMware fixes it hopefully shouldn't be long

VMWare just release a new version - this should fix the problem (hopefully)
    I'm testing it right now - will update if I can successfully boot kernel 5.18 or not

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/...h-preview.html

Edit: Happy to see that kernel 5.18 can successfully boot now!
    Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 1.21.24 PM.jpg

tried and confirm it works !.
    thanks