Thread: MacBook Pro WiFi - hardware fine - Enable button not present - Kali Live 2022.2 64bits

Exclamation MacBook Pro WiFi - hardware fine - Enable button not present - Kali Live 2022.2 64bits

Hello. Kali rocks.
    I have just downloaded the lastest version of Live Kali 2022.2 64bits and burned it to a USB using etcher.
    It booted perfectly on a Macbook Pro 7,1 (mid 2010) - 16gb RAM - SSD 256gb

from terminal iwconfig shows

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID: off/any
    Mode: Manager Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry short limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff

when showing the networt icon menu Wi-Fi Networks:
    (grayed) disconnected (empty)
    (grayed) Available networks (empty)

So no SSIDs are being detected.

But I was able to create a wifi network and it is being displayed in all my other devices.

So, I think the hardware and drivers are correctly installed, but i cant find the way to connent to wifi networks

any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much
    Gabe

I've had Kali running well direct on hardware on a 2010 macbook pro 6.2 in the past, but its never 'plug and play' as such.. The main issue is that many Broadcom based cards use a 'soft' MAC so often you will need to install firmware bolbs to get it to work..

If you think it just needs configuring, try this;

Setting up WiFi from the command line, launch a terminal window first, then type the following commands;

First, find the name of your wireless interface;
    iwconfig

this will return the name of your WiFi adapter, in my case it was wlp3s0b1 so this will be used in the rest of the examples where needed, replace this with the name of your own adapter.

Next, using the Network name (SSID of the router) and the WPA2 Password (the pre shared key from your router) set up the WPA Supplicant file to connect via WPA2 using the following syntax;

sudo wpa_passphrase NetworkSSID PreSharedKey /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Note that there is only a single space between items, this will create the file wpa_supplicant.conf and populated it with the network name, network password (commented out), and a generated Hex value password key that the system will actually use instead of the plain text password given.

Now, we will make the adapter use this new file;

sudo wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlp3s0b1

The -B tells it to send this to the background, and the -i is for the adapter, mine was wlp3s0b1 replace this with your own found earlier.

Next, we just need an IP address;

sudo dhcpcd

That's it for WiFi, you should now be connected to the internet

These days or course I have a much newer macbook pro and run Kali in a VM with a USB adapter..

I'll see if I have a link to some broadcom firmware files you might need to get it going if that above doesn't work

Setting up WiFi from the command line, launch a terminal window first, then type the following commands;

First, find the name of your wireless interface;

iwconfig

this will return the name of your WiFi adapter, in my case it was wlp3s0b1 so this will be used in the rest of the examples where needed, replace this with the name of your own adapter.

Next, using the Network name (SSID of the router) and the WPA2 Password (the pre shared key from your router) set up the WPA Supplicant file to connect via WPA2 using the following syntax;

sudo wpa_passphrase NetworkSSID PreSharedKey /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Note that there is only a single space between items, this will create the file wpa_supplicant.conf and populated it with the network name, network password (commented out), and a generated Hex value password key that the system will actually use instead of the plain text password given.

Now, we will make the adapter use this new file;

sudo wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlp3s0b1

The -B tells it to send this to the background, and the -i is for the adapter, mine was wlp3s0b1 replace this with your own found earlier.

Next, we just need an IP address;

sudo dhcpcd

That's it for WiFi, you should now be connected to the internet

Hi Fred, thanks for taling time and helping with my issue.
    There is no /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf existing file.

and after executing sudo wpa_passphrase NetworkSSID PreSharedKey /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

a json is shown on my terminal, but the file is not being created.

so executing the next command: sudo wpa_supplicant fails to read the file.

any idea ?

thank you,
    gabe

From memory you do also need to install firmware for the Broadcom chipset to use Kali bare metal on a Macbook..
    see if I can find a link..

More info here, though that was when I was running Arch..

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...7/#post6319780