Thread: Failing to detect packets with airodump-ng and wifite

Failing to detect packets with airodump-ng and wifite

I have just recently purchased a new wifi adapter and installed the drivers for it. It is currently functioning and I'm able to use wifi within Kali on VMware but I'm having an issue. When I attempt to use airodump-ng or other tools like wifite to sniff for packets in monitor mode, I get no results. The commands detect no available networks or information. The only thing I've noticed out of the ordinary about my adapter is that the chipset is listed as "software simulator" and the driver as mac80211_hwsim. It looks something like this:

phy1 wlan0 mac80211_hwsim Software simulator of 802.11 radio(s) for mac80211
    phy2 wlan1 mac80211_hwsim Software simulator of 802.11 radio(s) for mac80211

Can anyone offer any advice? I've tried a few different solutions but I seem to be running in circles. Thank you all!

what chipset?

lsusb

Its RTL8812. Thank you for the reply.

You posted on the wireless adapter thread right below the link I posted to one of the relevent RTL8812au drivers?

that RTL 8812 chipset has an au model a bu model and cu model, install wrong drivers, get wrong result..

https://github.com/morrownr

Thank you so much for this response, that may have been my issue. For some reason my adapter instructions did not identify which model of the chipset it used. I will see which one it is and see if it fixes the issue. I can't thank you enough for this!