Thread: Kali-Linux-laptop-lid-close-actions

Kali-Linux-laptop-lid-close-actions

Kali users, developers, et alia:

I have a General Dynamics (Itronix) GD-8200 with Kali Linux (GNOME) installed thereupon. I am interested in being able to close the lid and have Kali Linux remain persistently running absent any suspending or hibernating taking place thereafter.

First let me set forth that I have read the thread: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-close-actions

I tried effectuating the ideas depicted in the aforementioned thread using first "=ignore" and then trying "=kexec" but neither stood preventative to the laptop going into a suspend mode succeeding a closure of the lid. In fact after re-opening the lid dmesg messages show "PM: suspend exited." as one of its messages, thus providing clear and convincing evidence that the laptop had suspended (and not hibernated as I was not sure which was becoming occurring). Now, the above referenced thread is indeed from 2015 and well, this is 2022, so perhaps the veracity of its assertions are no longer persistent and the instantiation of a new more current resolution is requisite. As such, I promulgate my query as to how I can cause Kali to remain running notwithstanding a lid closure on my GD-8200.

Let me state my appreciation in advance to any and all parties that respond with constructive assistance to the instant matter.

Stuart

Hibernation is only possible if you have created a swap size equal or greater than installed RAM size, otherwise it can only ever sleep..

This used to work with Debian, and would disable any kind of powering down, worth a try;

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

then do full shutdown and restart

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    Hibernation is only possible if you have created a swap size equal or greater than installed RAM size, otherwise it can only ever sleep..

This used to work with Debian, and would disable any kind of powering down, worth a try;

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

then do full shutdown and restart

Yes, I have seen those mask commands in the past (though forgot about them).

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. I have it set to "=ignore" now and maybe it is working. I am going to reboot the laptop, close the lid and wait 30 minutes and see if the laptop can be pinged / ssh'ed into etc...

My eventual goal is to install ProxMox on the laptop, add a GUI (GNOME) and then install Kali as a VM under ProxMox.

Stuart

Don't forget the 'general' power saving settings..

Sleep after idle for 15 minutes for example.