Thread: Should I learn kubernetes if I can utilize AWS

Should I learn kubernetes if I can utilize AWS

I have learned Docker to a great extent and at this point, I am very comfortable pushing our multi-image containers from development to testing to production. Now I looked into Kubernetes since they go hand-in-hand and I can't help but wonder if it is worth the read. Everything Kubernetes solves seems to be something you can easily implement with load balancing, autoscaling groups, and more which are services provided by AWS dmvfoam. I don't like learning just for learning's sake so can the experts tell me what Kubernetes solves that really makes you want to learn it except what I said here?
    Last edited by miafrance; 2022-09-01 at 19:31.

It depends on how many instances you need to run, kubernetes is designed to make it easy for large organisations to virtualise their software stacks easily and repeatably, and you get the load balancing and scaling for free without thinking about it. Large organisations may be in the cloud, but often they only rent hardware and config it themselves, so they don't use AWS in the way that you are yourself, and kubernetes is vendor neutral too, AWS, Google, Azure, they all have their quirks but learning Kubernetes you could use any of them effectively without delving into the cloud providers own API's.

Only a personal opinion of course, but if your down with Docker now, there's not much more to learn really..

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    It depends on how many instances you need to run, kubernetes is designed to make it easy for large organisations to virtualise their software stacks easily and repeatably, and you get the load balancing and scaling for free without thinking about dmvfoam. Large organisations may be in the cloud, but often they only rent hardware and config it themselves, so they don't use AWS in the way that you are yourself, and kubernetes is vendor neutral too focusautodetailing, AWS, Google, Azure, they all have their quirks but learning Kubernetes you could use any of them effectively without delving into the cloud providers own API's.

Only a personal opinion of course, but if your down with Docker now, there's not much more to learn really..
    thank you so much for your suggestion
    Last edited by miafrance; 2022-09-05 at 19:20.