Thread: .7z download problem

.7z download problem

Hey hopefully Im not creating a duplicate thread, I searched and couldnt find any .7z but I download 64 bit kali linux vm for virtual box and it downloads as a .7z file. I have searched the internet for maybe an hour frustrated finding no answers. I read something that said to compress it then unzip but that just gave me the same file. I feel like there is a step Im missing.

You just decompress the .7z file, you don't compress it again.

I have the same problem and there is no option to decompress .7z that I can find. I've been trying to resolve this problem for days.

Angry .7z and no .ova

I'm having the same issue. Why isn't there an option to download as .ova?

7z is a zip file format with better compression than typical zip tools.

You can download a 7z tool for Windows from the home page;

https://www.7-zip.org/

I need the 7z to be in ova and I can not get the file into ova format. The tool you referenced doesn't appear to do that, but I'm also a rookie. What am I missing? Why can't I just download kali linux as ova?

Quote Originally Posted by happyinlife75 View Post
    I need the 7z to be in ova and I can not get the file into ova format. The tool you referenced doesn't appear to do that, but I'm also a rookie. What am I missing? Why can't I just download kali linux as ova?
    You are getting it twisted. You don't need the 7z to be *in ova*, you need to *extract the compressed file that is the .7z file* to get the ova. .7z is a file format just like .zip which means it has compressed file(s) in it. The user above linked you to a tool to extract the 7zip file.

As for why you can't just download as an ova, because the file size of an ova is too big to fit into the CDN, so all downloads would not be fast like they are now. And I'm sure you would be willing to wait the extra time to download it because extracting a file is difficult, many others are not willing. We went with the lesser of two evils, expecting people to have the ability and know how to extract a compressed file.

Thank you for the reply, I will try extract again. So far, this has not worked, but I will do it again.

One thing to note here, if your on Windows it may well 'see' the downloaded Kali VM as a malicious file and perhaps this is why you can't get it unpacked successfully!

Make sure Windows Defender or other AV is set to exclude the file or its location before trying to unpack it!

hi i am have problem in finding the file to set up the controller IDE storage the empty disk virtual box is not able to find the file. Because its show amd64 not .iso or .vbox so any one knows how to solve it i have extracted the .7z file. help me to solve the problem

You need to import the file into your virtual machine manager, not try and directly mount it

different OS here, but method is the same;

https://www.linuxvmimages.com/how-to...in-virtualbox/