Thread: Installing Kali Linux .iso on VirtualBox; metapackage problem

Installing Kali Linux .iso on VirtualBox; metapackage problem

I've been (trying) to create Kali Linux VM on VirtualBox and, up until this point, everything was working well.

But when I get to the point of installing the metapackages (Select and install software step) it seems to download and install completely, but then gives me an error message. Error reads:

An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Select and install software

I didn't think keeping the defaults set should cause this. I'm not sure if it's a memory/storage issue (there should be plenty of space allocated) or what is happening. Should I try removing one of the selected defaults and see if it works?

I chose the bare metal option to download. I know there's an option specifically for VirtualBox, but it didn't come as an .iso file and wasn't sure if that would work. Maybe try the other one?

Lots of users seem to have this issue with a virtual machine install, I've even had it myself in the past. Yes, choose a basic install tht doesn't need any downloads, and once Kali is installed and running, you can update it from the Kali Tweaks menu to include any software you need.