Thread: External GPU for Macbook

External GPU for Macbook

Hi.

I have a Macbook Air (with VMWare Fusion) on which I am starting to dabble in Kali Linux - loving it so far - learning so much.
    When it comes to decryption, a GPU will make life so much quicker and easier. Short of having another device (cloud host or another local PC with a decent graphics card) to farm the job out to, can anybody advise if there is such a thing as an external GPU that I can plug into the Macbook to do this processing faster? I understand that through the VM, I am unable to utilise a GPU on my Mac anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

most 'Kali tools' you might want for GPU cracking can be installed on your Mac directly and you can always then 'crack them locally' using your native GPU by copying across your capture to Mac OSX to crack , I apreciate that a GPU on an air is probably not that fast anyway.

There are some external GPU solutions, but they are expensive, and likely would only be usable 'from the Mac' and not Kali I expect.

To get hashcat etc on your macbook, you can use homebrew;

https://brew.sh/

Hi Fred.

Thanks for replying.
    I was looking for that feedback whether an external GPU would be beneficial for my purpose. Thinking about it, perhaps the connection to the GPU device (I have seen them somewhere) may not keep up with the GPU speed anyway - I don't know.
    I will continue to use the local GPU to do the job.

Thank you again.
    Cheers,
    Greg