Thread: Web Browser with Native FTP support

Web Browser with Native FTP support

For those frustrated that native ftp support has been removed from web browsers, I have a work around. I downloaded Firefox 87 to Download folder in Kali Linux 2022.3. I then expanded it to the Download directory. I then disabled internet connection. I navigated to the expanded folder probably firefox. located firefox with gear icon. I right clicked selected "execute". This started the browser without internet connection. I clicked on the 3 horizontal lines in the upper right corner to expand application menu. From that drop down selected preferences. Disabled automatic update by clicking on allow me to choose which updates. Closed the menu, closed the browser, enabled internet, restarted browser. The browser will now allow native ftp. type ftp://(ip address) into browser address bar. I would use this only to access open ftp sites you stumble over.Experiment with vpn proxy etc to make it safer. but if you are only using it to access open ftp sites you might get away with it.

Native FTP support browser

Quote Originally Posted by macgreine View Post
    For those frustrated that native ftp support has been removed from web browsers, I have a work around. I downloaded Firefox 87 to Download folder in Kali Linux 2022.3. I then expanded it to the Download directory. I then disabled internet connection. I navigated to the expanded folder probably firefox. located firefox with gear icon. I right clicked selected "execute". This started the browser without internet connection. I clicked on the 3 horizontal lines in the upper right corner to expand application menu. From that drop down selected preferences. Disabled automatic update by clicking on allow me to choose which updates. Closed the menu, closed the browser, enabled internet, restarted browser. The browser will now allow native ftp. type ftp://(ip address) into browser address bar. I would use this only to access open ftp sites you stumble over.Experiment with vpn proxy etc to make it safer. but if you are only using it to access open ftp sites you might get away with it.
    When I did this I was using Kali Linux 2022 w19 distro. Once I upgraded to Kali Linux 2022-3 I started to get errors on the subsequent tabs.I will continue to explore options if found will share here.

There are several native Linux FTP clients that can be used such as filezilla or several CLI versions too;

https://wiki.debian.org/FTP

Quote Originally Posted by macgreine View Post
    When I did this I was using Kali Linux 2022 w19 distro. Once I upgraded to Kali Linux 2022-3 I started to get errors on the subsequent tabs.I will continue to explore options if found will share here.
    Thanks a lot. Hope get your feedback soon