Thread: Password for accessing (not encrpted?) windows 11 drive

Password for accessing (not encrpted?) windows 11 drive

I have an issue that I don't understand. I am trying to recover some files from a damaged windows 11 partition. The system was installed with standard settings, without intentionally activating bitlocker. The setting have displayed that "device encryption" was turned on, but not activated as I have refused to sign into my microsoft account after installing windows.
    Using Hirens Boot CD (Win PE), I can access all files without using any password, but with Kali, I need a password. Since I don't need a password in Hirens, I assume that the drives are actually not encrypted.

Can somebody explain me, why I need a password in Kali, but not in Hirens Boot CD?

Thank you!

To WinPE your NTFS formatted disk is readable natively, and as its 'also windows' it likely understands your disk encryption is enabled but not active, the fact it says device encryption is turned on, and that Kali has to mount the drive before it can access it, as NTFS is not a Linux native filesystem, means it 'sees' the encryption setting is on when it tries to mount it, and needs a password to unlock it