Thread: Unable to boot Kali Linux

Unable to boot Kali Linux

Hey,

I am a student and want to learn pen and penetration testing using linux.
    a few months prior I assembled a pc with,

Intel Core i9 12900 (processor)
    MSI PRO-Z690-A (motherboard)
    CORSAIR 1*16 GB (memory)

soley to use and learn Kali Linux on it.

During installation at one part it says "some of your hardware need non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware
    can be loaded using removable media like USB stick or floppy." and lists a bunch of texts ending with extention ".ucode".
    It allows me to skip that step. I asked about it on several forums and people suggested to skip the step and update after
    installation using some update command. I did so and continued with installation and installed Kali on SSD 1TB. But
    it doesnt boot. It takes me directly to BIOS. I checked BIOS settings and everything is perfect. I have tried installing
    few times with complete different setup and everytime the result is same. It doesnt boot. Note that I am not sure if
    Kali gets installed on first place. I assume it does because after installation it says "successfully installed".
    There is no graphics card but the processor has in-build graphics. I am no hardware or software expert and have begun my
    journey of computer science just now. Please someone help me.

Hi there!

If you have built a desktop computer, can you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet?
    Most motherboards have this built in, and no drivers are needed for this to function. If you can connect this way (directly to a router for example), it would download the needed files at install time for you.

If you don't have access to a wired connection, then you will need to download the 'non-free' firmware files, you can save them to a USB stick, they will be packed as gzip files when you download, but you can unpack them and then point your installer at the unpacked directory aty install time.

Firmware files are available here;

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

Happy hacking!