Thread: SIGKILL sent to all processes

SIGKILL sent to all processes

I downloaded kali-linux-1.0.1-i386 and created the ISO. I have attempted to install it three time and each time as GRUB is installing i receive an error that ends SIGKILL sent to all processes. The laptop will restart and then load a collection of repeating colored screens (3 shades of white, red, green, grey). I am using a DELL Inspirion 5160.

Are you using VM? USB? DVD?

if in VM, how many partitions are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Are you using VM? USB? DVD?

if in VM, how many partitions are you using?
    I'm doing a fresh install over winXP, from a DVD ISO, dedicating the whole HDD. I thought it may have been a partition issue, so restored the Dell to Factory spec and installed a popular LTS version of Linux. This OS loads the log-in screen, but after entering said details, graphics lock up. As Kali runs NVIDIA package 310, I installed Kali again, this time no issues during install, but get the same problem after loading from HDD. Again, this points to a graphic issue as I can run all options from DVD, issue only occurs when booting off the HDD.

Please note: I tested the laptop immediately prior to the original Kali install, as it had sat in a cupboard for close to a year and had no issues.

So my next step: Kali has a complete NVIDIA package. I am going to nuke the HDD, update the BIOS to Dell V08 (last available for the Inspiron 5160), then reinstall Kali again. If there are any other ideas (this will take 6 hours) I'd be glad to hear them.

Guess what? I didnt realize the 5160 is 32-bit architecture
    Last edited by sickn3ss; 2013-04-19 at 03:33.