Hello,

First, very frustrated. I installed v 64bit 2016-2 onto a HD in a USB enclosure and that was fine, though there were a ton of updates which I ran with apt-get and that was all good, decent performance, a decent amount of work. Now, the next day I set up a router and a two computer network to play with and there is excessive CPU use from gnome-shell. The system is unusable, but it was fine after the install and update, now it's spinning its wheels and I can barely open System Monitor to figure out what's going on, did I mention frustration. I turned off window effects or some such thing but that didn't do it.

My hardware is old, Dell D620 w/ 4MB ram but the performance was fine after the install and updates so it's not the hardware in my view. So is it I've installed on an ATA drive in a USB enclosure, my graphics card isn't up to GNOME (3 is it? but it ran okay yesterday)?

I was hoping to work with this today but all I've done is waste my time. I have no disks with me to burn another ISO.

I was hoping perhaps someone had some insight as to how to fix this installation before I trash it and install another desktop environment, whether I should take the HD out of the enclosure and just swap it in and out of the laptop, not so convenient but an option.

Thanks,

-- Mark