Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey, guys. I have a Kali live USB that I made with Rufus, downloaded and placed extra files, and I'm having a problem when I try to boot it. The USB boots into grub fine, but when I try to choose any of the options, the boot hangs on something to the effect of "Booting Kali Linux 1.0.4" and the next line says, "Secure boot not enabled _". If anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it, or knows what might be the problem I would really be grateful for the help. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeDerek View Post
    Hey, guys. I have a Kali live USB that I made with Rufus, downloaded and placed extra files, and I'm having a problem when I try to boot it. The USB boots into grub fine, but when I try to choose any of the options, the boot hangs on something to the effect of "Booting Kali Linux 1.0.4" and the next line says, "Secure boot not enabled _". If anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it, or knows what might be the problem I would really be grateful for the help. Thanks in advance
    I had the same issue while trying to install 32bit Kali on my laptop with a 64bit processor. 32bit EFI wasn't supported but it worked with the 64bit version of Kali.

Okay, This is the forum that I used to figure this out. This will work with any EFI boot system. It's for Kali-ONLY installation. I managed to boot Kali off my MacBook Pro in only 21 easy steps.

This is a very simple Step-by-Step instruction set.

This is for a Kali-ONLY install on a MacBook Pro. Though it should work with any EFI system. If you want to dual boot with OSX/Windows, then be very careful when you are using gparted to edit the partitions!!

Pay attention to the ****** !!!

1. Insert Kali DVD into Laptop and reboot.
    2. Press Option/Alt when the laptop is booting (before you hear the chime) keep it pressed until you see the boot drive selection screen show up.
    3. Select the DVD when it comes up. (the Label on mine said "Windows" because of the formatting.) The icon is a CD.
    4. Select "Live Boot" which is the first selection when grub starts.
    5. Go to Applications --> System Tools --> Administration --> GParted Partition Editor
    ******* Note: if you perform the below step you will erase EVERYTHING on your drive, you are warned*******
    6. Erase every partition on your HD until everything is listed as "unallocated space" under File System
    7. Click on the "Create a new Partition" to create a new partition.
    8. Make sure the partition type is FAT32
    9. Give your partition a name. I called mine EFI.
    9. Make sure you adjust the size of the partition. I used 400MB, but that is more than enough.
    10. Create the partition. You can click on the "check mark" icon. You should now just have 1 400MB partition that is on the drive.
    11. Exit out of GParted.
    12. Go to Places --> EFI (or whatever you named your partition)
    13. You should now have an empty window. Right-click and create a new folder named EFI. Go into that folder and create a New Folder named Boot.
    14. Copy all of the files (except for the Fonts folder) from here: ftp://mirrors.kernelhttps://forums.k...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ into the Boot folder.
    15. Reboot your computer. Put the Kali DVD back in the drive when it spits it out. Hold down option/alt again when you are booting up.
    ***** You should now see 2 devices on the boot options screen. 1 Drive that says EFI Boot and the DVD that says "windows" If you don't then you messed something up in the above steps.
    16. Boot into the Kali DVD. Select "Graphical Install" Go through your options until you get to the format disk section. Make sure you select "GUIDED - Use continous free space"
    ***** When you get to the Grub Boot Loader section, tell the Install to NOT INSTALL GRUB to your MBR. If you do you will overwrite the /dev/sda1 partion and you will have to start over*****
    17. Put the DVD back in after it installs Kali and hold down option/alt. Boot from the DVD Again.
    18. Go back to Live Boot. Take a look at your devices list. You should see 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and 1 Kali. Mount the Kali partition and go to /boot/grub. Open the grub.cfg file and copy the contents.
    19. Open the FAT32 partition and go to /EFI/Boot. Open the grub.cfg file and replace it with the contents you copied in the above step.
    20. Edit the new file however you want (VI, nano, leafpad) find the lines that say: linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.... and add "efi" to the end of linux. Do the same for the lines that say initrd.
    ***** You should have edited 4 lines. They should now say "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7...." and "initrdefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7....." without the quotes.
    21. Reboot. Remove the DVD. Hold Down option/alt and select EFI Boot as your boot drive. You should now boot into Kali.

Hope this helps. Thanks to albert on the forums for the information!