Thread: Bootmgr is missing

Bootmgr is missing

Hello,

I'm trying to install Kali Linux on my vaio laptop. I tried an bootable usb, but after putting the external device as bootpriority it says 'bootmgr is missing, press ctrl+alt+dlt to restart' every time. Downloaded the iso again to make sure is wasn't corrupt and again the same screen. After this i tried putting the iso on a dvd, dvd as boot priority but it only starts windows.. seems to not read the dvd. After all this i tried something a friend told me, to run the kali linux iso while mounted in windows. I started with copying files and that's it. I restarted my laptop and now Kali Linux is added in the windows boot menu to complete the installation. So started the linux installation here, installation wizzard is searching for the cd so i put in the usb drive. I'm able now to make the needed partitions, but when trying to install the system it says it can't install.. (manual or guided partitions, no difference) Nothing else. When using the dvd intead of the usb it just says the cd can't be found.

To be sure it's not just my laptop i tried the same bootable usb on my desktop (already dual booted with kali linux and windows 7) but also got the missing bootmgr message while i installed it on this pc with the same usb device!
    Now i found different topics about this problem on the internet, but everytime the talk about an system that already has a dual boot, or when just installed.. No one seems to have this before the install. Someone knows what the reason can be?

Got it working by downloading the is for the 3th time.. burned it to a dvd and got through the whole installation.. So problem solved

Fixing the "BOOTMGR is missing" error isn't too hard; here's how.

Please note: We are unable to provide individual support in the comments under this article. If you need assistance, please post here in our forum.

The day before yesterday I was testing out a program with several system utilities built in. One of its components left my computer in a bit of a mess – no icons anywhere and other assorted woes. I had set a system restore point before I ran the program, so I thought I’d do a system restore. System restore gave me a message that it couldn’t restore my files. I decided to restore a disc image I had made a short while back. When I booted up the computer I got a message:
    BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    I stared at it the white letters on the black background for a few minutes, while the cursor blinked back at me. After some searching (on another computer) I had some solutions.
    Barring any hardware errors, here’s how to fix that error:

Insert your Windows Vista or Windows 7 disk into your DVD player and restart your computer.
    The next screen you see should have the Language, Time and Currency and Keyboard boxes.
    In the lower left side there are two options: “What to know before installing Windows” and “Repair your computer.”
    Click on “Repair your computer”
    Windows will then try to find the installation directory for Vista or Windows 7, depending on what you have.
    Next up is a screen with a box called Recovery Options. Click the first option, Startup Repair.
    You’ll see a Startup Repair box with the message “Startup Repair is checking your system for problems…”
    When it’s done, it will prompt you to reboot. If there is more than one problem it may reboot again to continue repairing.
    At this point, you can remove the DVD, reboot and everything should be working.

i got this problem from two days and now i'm sick with this.
    did anyone find the new solution?

Repetitio est mater studiorum

Question

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    sorry duxim, but it wont works
    actually i done some search about this error last night and came to this website.

and they said about, its possible its my hard disk problem

what did you think about that?
    Last edited by aslubeti; 2016-10-15 at 12:32.

could be a hdd. use hiren's boot cd and you have there tools to examine your hdd if you suspect on it.
    "sorry duxim, but it wont works "
    boot repair need internet in order to work
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Here’s the recent mail I got
    Hi,
    Thank you for visiting Microsoft Answers!
    I suggest that you perform a Startup Repair.
    Method 1: Startup Repair
    1. Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.
    2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Access the link below for more information about repair this problem:
    Or Try this - How To Fix Bootmgr Is Missing Error On Windows Desktop Or Laptop?

You can also try "Rebuild BCD".

Method 2: Rebuild BCD
    1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us, and then press ENTER.
    Note: C:\ should be changed to the default partition you installed Windows 7.

Thanks and Regards:
    Last edited by jolly012; 2016-10-15 at 12:27.