Thread: Wifi Adapter Recommendation

Wifi Adapter Recommendation

So just four days ago I ordered the Alfa AWUS036NEH from Amazon (it arrived today and I have not yet opened anything).

When I saw the new release of Kali 2017.1 and read that it had driver support for RTL8812AU wireless chipsets I immediately went to Amazone and saw they have the Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless cards (which the Kali 2017 release blog post says is supported).

Should I just return the AWUS036NEH and order the AWUS036ACH?

Not sure if the AWUS036ACH is supported. The AWUS036AC is but you need to install a package and to put it in monitor mode, it's not the same way as others (drivers are hackish).

You can also check out the recommended adapters in Aircrack-ng FAQ.

I guess I thought this page on the Kali blog indicated that the AWUS036ACH was supported
    https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-20171-release/

Quote Originally Posted by jb61264 View Post
    Yes. That's what I would do.

While it's older, I get a lot of mileage from my AWUS036H. I also use the AWUS036NEH...works great for me too. I guess it comes down to preference

I guess I thought this page on the Kali blog indicated that the AWUS036ACH was supported
    https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-20171-release/
    Does anyone know if this new driver supports also AP/MASTER MODE ?

From my experience, the AWUS036ACH card is supported by kali and DOES work with AP/MASTER MODE. However this card does NOT work with a VM setup, and ive found that the txpower is locked at a max of 18 on a hard setup which is underwhelming considering older cards can reach much higher. It appears that the driver was recently made compatible and may be still being worked on.

If your not working with a wireless AC router you wont see any gains in connection vs a wireless N. I personally got this card because it sports two antenna connectors which allow for greater ranges to be accomplished (2x YAGI!)

Overall it is still a powerful card and works beautifully in windows and linux picking up 5gz signals. I would get this card but it is more expensive than a AWUS036NHA which is older but with a decent antenna performs extremely well with 2.6gz connections which are more commonplace.

So just four days ago I ordered the Alfa AWUS036NEH from Amazon (it arrived today and I have not yet opened anything).

When I saw the new release of Kali 2017.1 and read that it had driver support for RTL8812AU wireless chipsets I immediately went to Amazone and saw they have the Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless cards (which the Kali 2017 release blog post says is supported).

I would keep them both to test with!