Thread: Kali 1.0.4 armel for Raspberry Pi - GUI not working

Kali 1.0.4 armel for Raspberry Pi - GUI not working

Then I type "startx" after authorization get "command not found".
    Why?

I'm having the same problem, does anyone know of a work around, not too keen on working only from the command prompt

Cheers

H

Same problem. Trying to troubleshoot now.

I had the same problem. What i did was this:

apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies.

After that i had the startx command.

After typing the startx command it boots into the gui and stop at the welcome to panel screen. the mouse and keyboard are frozen and i have to reboot the raspberry pi.

any ideas?

Thanks,

Did you try running startxfce4 instead of startx? Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log report any errors?

It is just the keyboard and mouse that are frozen. I can ssh into the machine and kill xfce and then everything returns to normal.

here are some lines from /var/log/Xorg.log.0

[ 328.840] (II) SELinux: Disabled on system
    [ 328.942] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
    [ 328.942] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    [ 329.023] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
    [ 329.024] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
    [ 330.005] (II) config/udev: Adding input device USB Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
    [ 330.005] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
    [ 330.005] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
    [ 330.051] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Operation not permitted

thanks for any help.

There seems to be a few things missing from this 1.0.4 build. Do you have xserver-xorg-input-evdev installed?

If evdev exists try
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.log.0 |grep modules
    and look for errors. The only difference I can think of between my install and yours is I am currently running the newest 3.6+ kernel and modules.

here are my results:

root@kali:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep evdev
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev install

root@kali:~# more /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep modules
    [ 328.607] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    [ 328.634] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
    [ 328.651] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
    [ 328.658] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
    [ 328.682] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
    [ 328.691] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
    [ 328.705] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
    [ 328.713] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
    [ 328.764] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
    [ 328.787] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    [ 328.801] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so

it seems that edev is installed and that there are no errors with the modules. I think i am running 3.6.11

Linux version 3.6.11-cutdown (steev@oswin) (gcc version 4.6.2 20111004 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.6-2011.10) ) #1 PREEMPT S
    at Jun 1 22:10:48 CDT 2013

is there anything else i should look for?

Thanks for your help.

sorry it took me so long to reply. evdev does seem to be installed but not loading for you. The last line should show evdev module being loaded.

root@kali:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep modules
    [ 16373.716] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    [ 16373.725] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
    [ 16373.744] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
    [ 16373.752] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
    [ 16373.779] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
    [ 16373.789] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
    [ 16373.805] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
    [ 16373.814] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
    [ 16373.834] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
    [ 16373.856] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    [ 16373.872] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
    [ 16375.054] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
    From what it looks like is that the 3.6.11-cutdown kernel in this 1.0.4 build may not have evdev support builtin. I have a feeling that this most recent build was built maybe in qemu and not on a raspberry pi. I would recommend updating your kernel and modules to 3.6.11+ Detailed instructions can be found here: http://nethack.ch/2013/01/16/update-...-raspberry-pi/

Thanks for your help.

I updated the kernel and that did not fix the problem. I am beginning to think that the keyboard and mouse not working are side effects and not the real problem.

I have attached the output of running the command startx and startxfce4 and the Xorg.0.log for each of those commands.

from the startxfce4.log.txt file:

(xfce4-settings-helper:2664): xfce4-settings-helper-WARNING **: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.
    xinit: connection to X server lost

(xfwm4:2642): libxfce4ui-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

(xfwm4:2642): libxfce4ui-WARNING **: Disconnected from session manager.

waiting for X server to shut down xfdesktop: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

it seems that there is somekind of I/O error.

Thanks for any additional help you can offer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just finished downloading the image as well, and while it boot's just fine, startx does indeed fail with the "command not found"

I too hoped that installing xorg and a desktop manager would get me somewhere but alas it freezes just as described, so your not alone wranglerdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by wranglerdriver View Post
    Thanks for your help.

I updated the kernel and that did not fix the problem. I am beginning to think that the keyboard and mouse not working are side effects and not the real problem.

I have attached the output of ...

which desktop manager did you install? I was wondering if i installed gnome (although that may be a bit heavy for the pi) if it would be any different.

After doing everything mentioned in this thread I am able to get startx to do something.
    apt-get update (EVERYTHING)

However the mouse and keyboard freeze up. Will be digging though this after work 'http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42193'

It appears to be GUI related. I can SSH into the box, however I have not have a chance to enable X11 and use PuTTY to remote in and test.

(Using Windows 7 64bit)

Got it working
    Used image for PI located here "http://cdimage.kali.org/"

Used WinRAR to extract folder "kali-linux-1.0-armel-raspberrypi.img" > Open folder

Using Fedora ARM "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer#Download_.26_Install_-_1.1.1-8" I then selected "kali-custom-rpi.img" and using the Image installed loaded it to my card.

Booted...Could already tell it was promising, however I got excited and ran the following command:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
    startx

...black screen... I had watched a few youTube videos of others who had already ARMed their PI, most commented on this issue. The first time you boot to GUI there is quite a delay dude to the processing power of the PI...instead of waiting I rebooted the box.

startx

This time I waited. Everything works (GUI wise anyways)
    Hope this helps guys!

Same problem here.

I installed kdm using aptitude
    Then installed xorg using apt-get install xorg

Upon boot I get a login screen which is completely frozen.

I also installed xrdp (apt-get install xrdp) and I can now remote desktop from a PC to my Kali Raspi (using Windows Remote desktop) and the kde interface works. However I have had no luck of using it locally.

The Raspi itself is not frozen. I can ssh to it, ftp to it etc (servers installed by me, since the Kali image does not include any active remote access services)

If anyone has any positive update on this, please post. BTW I am a relative Linux newbie. I have handled several distros, but always with Google by my side ......

Afen please see my post right above your.
    Try using my instructions.

Earlier in this thread they discuss the possibility that this version my not have been complied upon a PI and that is why everyone is experiencing such difficulties.

Hi l0tek,

Thanks for your feedback. I did also follow your instructions on an SD card with a freshly installed Kali image. I did get an xfce desktop, but it was still frozen locally

I don't know if I am asking too much, but if you have a working Kali Raspi/xfce SD card, could you create an image of it using win32diskimager, compress the image using 7zip or some other high compression tool, and share the image (perhaps through a shared dropbox folder or Gmail drive folder or something similar).

I would suggest you first write your image to a second SD card, and remove any data which you might have, as well as any new accounts/passwords which you might have created. Then you can re-image your second SD card and share that image. That way you would not have modified your original SD card in any way, and risk getting to the stage of all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by l0tek View Post
    Afen please see my post right above your.
    Try using my instructions.

Earlier in this thread they discuss the possibility that this version my not have been complied upon a PI and that is why everyone is experiencing such difficulties.

Hi l0tek,

I just realized that you have been using the 1.0 kali image, while I have been using 1.0.4.

Something may have changed which made desktop managers problematic.

Actually I just realized that there is now a 1.0.5 version image for the RPi. I will try that when I have some time.

http://www.kali.org/downloads/

Regards

Added the following to post
    Further to above, I just tried the same procedure on the official 1.0.5 image, but no joy. Identical situation as before.

afen
    Last edited by afen; 2013-09-08 at 21:53.

Red face Thanks a lot ""I0tek"" , now my system is working fine with its new gui environment..

Quote Originally Posted by l0tek View Post
    (Using Windows 7 64bit)

Got it working
    Used image for PI located here "http://cdimage.kali.org/"

Used WinRAR to extract folder "kali-linux-1.0-armel-raspberrypi.img" > Open folder

Using Fedora ARM "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer#Download_.26_Install_-_1.1.1-8" I then selected "kali-custom-rpi.img" and using the Image installed loaded it to my card.

Booted...Could already tell it was promising, however I got excited and ran the following command:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
    startx

...black screen... I had watched a few youTube videos of others who had already ARMed their PI, most commented on this issue. The first time you boot to GUI there is quite a delay dude to the processing power of the PI...instead of waiting I rebooted the box.

startx

This time I waited. Everything works (GUI wise anyways)
    Hope this helps guys!
    Thanks a lot ""I0tek"" , now my system is working fine with its new gui environment..