Thread: Kali Linux random shutdown [power management issue?]

[SOLVED] Kali Linux random shutdown [power management issue?]

SOLVED, Read Last Post!

IMPORTANT EDIT!!:
    I tried running off Live USB [aka no modification to ISO or install on HDD], and the same symptoms happen-
    Does this suggest a driver causing incompatibility?

AHH! I had just finished typing this and then BAM it happened, so I have to retype what I wrote. That's what I get for trying to get help while running Kali! I am retyping this on Windows now.

I setup a tripleboot on my UEFI laptop [OSX and Windows do NOT suffer from this issue] using Clover as my bootmanager.

Description of issue: For no apparent issue, my laptop will completely shut down [as in holding down the power button] and then start itself up again right after, but this ONLY happens when using Kali Linux 2.0. This can happen after 2 minutes, after 30 minutes, an hour, etc etc. It seemsSEE EDIT AT BOTTOM, NEW INFO completely random! I can let my computer idle, be typing something in leafpad, using terminal, using ice weasel and it will happen! [I disabled sleep, in case you were wondering].

Temperature issue? NOPE: I have temp monitoring software on my Windows install and after looking around the net for a possible cause (some claim it is a temp issue), so I installed temp commands into Kali to check. I can confirm temperature has nothing to do with my issue- It can happen at 40C, 50C, or 90C- there is no relation. I constantly render and push my CPU in Windows and have never had an issue, and the CPU can be pushed in Kali when running aircrack-ng just fine- the fans are operating as they should.

Here are my specs:
    Mobo: HP ENVY dv7-7212nr Notebook PC
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz/HM77
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M[DiscreteGPU]//Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 [Integrated] (1920x1080)

This is driving me mad, because it only happens on Kali Linux!
    For clarification, I use Clover > Select my GRUB entry > and use GRUB to boot Kali 2.0.
    At startup there is a warning about Open Vulnerability Service not running or something... it goes away to fast- where is the log of startup located? Maybe this will help find the problem.

Any ideas what it could possibly be? Could it be related to the discrete NVIDIA GPU? Do I need to install driver to prevent this, or does Kali's installer take care of this?

This is the only issue with my Kali Install- if anyone could help figure it out I would be most appreciative!

I do have some patched DSDT/SSDTs for my OSX install; that does not carry over to Kali through Clover... right?

EDIT:
    SOME INFO I 100% confirmed after some testing. I was wrong about this happening when idling. And I initially thought this only occured when not plugged in, but I debunked that too.

1. This only happens when on Kali Linux
    2. It does not matter if I am on Battery Power or Plugged In
    3. Does not happen if nothing is open [idle]
    4. Happens in about 4minutes [oddly enough, the 4 min-shutdown appears to be constant] if actively using airodump-ng [without writing to disk]
    -- now it seems to be random again... [see third post]

It also happened while I was using Iceweasel writing about this issue (the first time I tried to post this) despite the page having already been loaded and I was typing about the UEFI boot setup. I will do some more tests, but I am starting to think it is related to wireless in some way. I will double check if it this happens when I am just using leafpad [aka no network use].

Further, I can push the HDD by running aircrack-ng for 40 mins etc with no issue, which further supports my theory that its not the HDD, but the wireless may be the issue.

Video of the shutdown in action [happened after running airodump-ng for 4mins]
    https://vimeo.com/143578561
    The video is kinda in a bad spot- but if you wait for overlay to go away you will see the power [white] on the left, and two orange lights [audio and wifi]

Edit:
    Youtube
    Last edited by hydratedscrub; 2015-11-28 at 03:04. Reason: Vimeo

that is problem. you did lot of test and explanation and from my experience you also suspect at right point.
    if it is only happen on Kali then some driver causes this problem.
    "Any ideas what it could possibly be? Could it be related to the discrete NVIDIA GPU? Do I need to install driver to prevent this, or does Kali's installer take care of this?"
    I am also thinking that driver for nvidia is problem in this case. find here on forum how to install nvidia driver or take a look at
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...-295.59-driver

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    that is problem. you did lot of test and explanation and from my experience you also suspect at right point.
    if it is only happen on Kali then some driver causes this problem.
    "Any ideas what it could possibly be? Could it be related to the discrete NVIDIA GPU? Do I need to install driver to prevent this, or does Kali's installer take care of this?"
    I am also thinking that driver for nvidia is problem in this case. find here on forum how to install nvidia driver or take a look at
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...-295.59-driver
    I will try this, however I will install latest 64-bit driver for linux [ver 352.41] instead of the one linked. Getting tons of issues installing- while I try to figure this out, some more info:

I ran fine using Internet for 40 mins on Kali, then did a reboot after using terminal, and then after the reboot I logged in and BAM immediately did the shutdown- without any activity. I should note that I saw I was connected to wireless right before the shutdown- could wireless seriously be causing this?
    Last edited by hydratedscrub; 2015-10-14 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by hydratedscrub View Post
    I ran fine using Internet for 40 mins on Kali, then did a reboot after using terminal, and then after the reboot I logged in and BAM immediately did the shutdown- without any activity. I should note that I saw I was connected to wireless right before the shutdown- could wireless seriously be causing this?
    that symptom could be connected with usb wireless card (or any usb devices) but it should happen also on other systems just like in Kali.

hmm How many RAM do you have on the system? it also could be related to bad ram
    Last edited by duxim; 2015-10-14 at 20:18.

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    that symptom could be connected with usb wireless card (or any usb devices) but it should happen also on other systems just like in Kali.

hmm How many RAM do you have on the system? it also could be related to bad ram
    The NVIDIA process is complicated- so I will save that for a last resort.
    You may be on to something about RAM-
    I forgot to mention that my KALI partition is 20gb, and my SWAP is 8gb, despite my System having physical amount of 16GB RAM- is this the problem?
    Does the SWAP really have to be double the RAM? I did not want to dedicate 32GB to SWAP.

Edit: The RAM is not related. Did memtest for 2 hours. I also tried Kali with LIVE USB [so SWAP would not matter], same crashes.
    I was able to have Kali running for over 2 hours in Airplane mode- again, Wireless seems to be the one factor that was constant during all of this.
    I will do some more tests.

Edit2: So I have learned some important information that may help solve this:
    If I run airodump with Terminal MINIMIZED it can run for hours just fine.
    Then if I leave the terminal open and running, it will do the usual crashing...
    GPU driver is the culprit after all?

Edit3 : So I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers [latest, 352.55]
    And it worked- however I get the blinking cursor issue a few users described at the guide post for 2.0.
    I will try using an old version [295.59] next.

Edit4: Scratched the very old driver attempt- there is many conflicts.
    I am posting a new thread directly related to my NVIDIA struggle, and will update this if that is the cause.
    Last edited by hydratedscrub; 2015-10-18 at 21:51.

So I am going to attempt to Install Intel HD drivers next and disabling the discreteGPU.

Intel drivers would not install.
    Finally just gave up and realized the better solution:
    Get rid of the problem: Kali 2.0.
    I decided to replace Kali with a different distro and from there install all the tools Kali comes with: it worked great!
    I even installed NVIDIA drivers for use with cudahashcat with NO hassle!
    Think twice before you waste your time with this buggy OS.

So, its not a solution for your problem.
    And probably your issue is with ACPI feature. I think that you cant saw your logs.

Look here:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...op-hibernating

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    So, its not a solution for your problem.
    And probably your issue is with ACPI feature. I think that you cant saw your logs.

Look here:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...op-hibernating
    I have to agree with Crash. It could be a problem.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum