Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by blackkalima View Post
    Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Yeah Same goes on for me. I also happen to own HP Pavillion and tried installing Kali 1.0.8 on my USB Disk. The output I get is same that of yours, i.e Pendrive does not get detected. The only difference in our scenario is that I have not enabled Legacy Boot since Windows 8 is installed on my notebook