Thread: Official Kali docs to install Nvidia drivers broke my installation

Official Kali docs to install Nvidia drivers broke my installation

My Kali linux gets stuck at boot after following the instructions to install Nvidia drivers from here: https://docs.kali.org/general-use/in...-on-kali-linux

This is picture of where it gets stuck
    http://image.ibb.co/jybyvb/75_AEC535...1_AF4_CE64.jpg

I've read numerous threads in here on people with similar problems but have yet to find a solution so im posting
    i am able to enter shell by ctrl+alt+f3

Things i've done:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    reboot and nothing, so i decided to try and remove the packages previously installed to try and get my install working again

apt-get
    apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

dpkg --configure -a
    Also removed ocl-icd-libopencl1 nvidia-cuda-toolkit

I'm out of ideas, any help is appreciated.

Yes i've followed those instructions from that threads and others, still no dice

At the end of that thread says
    ***IF YOU STUCK IN BOOT SCREEN***
    Revert what we have done so far:
    Press CTRL+ALT+F2 or CTRL+ALT+F3 ,login with your password.
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you read my post i mentioned i did this to try and recover Kali to working conditions, nothing changed for me though

That thread is the only one which has working solution to install Nvidia drivers.

Clean install then followed docs for installing NVIDIA drivers has worked for me about 20 times, that's how long it took me before I realized that 99.9% of the stuff you read elsewhere about magical NVIDIA drivers is BS that is out of date.

My advice is check the dates and versions from the command line and if you are trying to install the magical non existent NVIDIA drivers so you can crack passwords real fast, then try this.

1. Clean install and follow the Official kali docs for installing the NVIDIA drivers.
    2. Then go to your /root/.pyrit/config file, it's in a hidden directory, change the " use_OpenCL = false" to " use_OpenCL = true"
    3. Do NOT change the CUDA to true.
    4. Run "pyrit benchmark"

My score went up from 1000 attempts/sec to 60,000 attempts/sec which makes it the fastest password cracking solution I've found .

When you are searching for help try selecting only posts in the last 6 months, anything older wont work and will brick your box.
    Last edited by PandorasBox; 2017-10-14 at 01:11.

@PandorasBox Can you create a thread on how did you install Nvidia drivers?

There are many people who followed steps from kali docs but couldn't get it to work. The guide in kali docs is for PC which has only Nvidia graphic card.

It doesn't work on those PC which has hybrid graphics that is both Integrated Intel HD graphic card and discrete Nvidia graphics.

Your help will be appreciated.

OK here's how I am doing it.

Clean install for duel use with windows 10 and using an Internet connection(dhcp server on your network) during the install, otherwise your sources and paths will need changing later.

Boot into X-windows as root, open a terminal and do
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    Then do yourself a huge favor and install Synaptic Package Manager which is excellent, it seems to search within the libraries so if you are missing something you go and search there first, most of the time it locates the correct package you need. It helps me come unstuck when ever I have version conflicts.
    apt-get install synaptic
    Then followed the official doc https://docs.kali.org/general-use/in...-on-kali-linux for installing NVIDIA drivers.

Then I installed Pyrit
    apt-get install pyrit
    Then this is important if you want to use your GPU you with pyrit, otherwise it wont see your GPU.

Pyrit's config file is in a hidden directory
    /root/.pyrit/config
    Locate it and change
    use_OpenCL = false
    to
    use_OpenCL = true
    Do NOT change the CUDA to true, it still works but throws up an error that it couldn't find a CUDA device.

I have been doing numerous clean installs, testing other packages, I resolved installing the NVIDIA drivers issues a few days back and have had to do the same install at least 3 times using this method and it works fine.

Beware NVIDIA drivers obtained from sources other than the Kali official repository don't work, don't get **** about what version you have installed, I saw someone using the same graphics card as I have with drivers obtained direct from NVIDIA and using the old CUDA drivers and he was getting 39000 PW/s in CUDA mode. I am using the NVIDIA drivers downloaded from the Kali repository and OpenCl and got 60,000 PW/s with my MSI overclocking edition NVIDIA card with clock speeds at their defaults.
    Last edited by PandorasBox; 2017-10-14 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    @PandorasBox Can you create a thread on how did you install Nvidia drivers?

It doesn't work on those PC which has hybrid graphics that is both Integrated Intel HD graphic card and discrete Nvidia graphics.

Your help will be appreciated.
    I could only install NVIDIA drivers not in the repository by booting to the prompt and not the GUI and any incorrect entries in the config files would cause the system to hang when starting X, I found that using old NVIDIA options from previous versions in the latest config files would do this, then I had to restart in recovery mode and change the configs back to what they used to be.
    If I was you guys I would backup the previous version's directories before installing or changing anything then do a file compare to see what changes were made to your config files look for options statements that are invalid for the version you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by PandorasBox View Post
    I could only install NVIDIA drivers not in the repository by booting to the prompt and not the GUI and any incorrect entries in the config files would cause the system to hang when starting X, I found that using old NVIDIA options from previous versions in the latest config files would do this, then I had to restart in recovery mode and change the configs back to what they used to be.
    If I was you guys I would backup the previous version's directories before installing or changing anything then do a file compare to see what changes were made to your config files look for options statements that are invalid for the version you are using.
    This much information is not enough. You have to demonstrate step by step the same way you did. There are many users with this problem. Your thread would become popular if your solution worked.

For those using pyrit, check out hashcat, it should be much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    For those using pyrit, check out hashcat, it should be much faster.
    That's what I thought, but using each programs benchmark, pyrit "seems" to be 3 times quicker, if you read the changelogs for pyrit you will see the writer did a lot of work improving speed. I am going to setup an experiment in the next few weeks to see which is the fastest in a real life test.

This part of the Optima how-to must be wrong if you are installing the latest NVIDIA drivers as nvidia-xconfig has been superseded and nvidia-smi is what you need with the latest drivers.

4.Install nvidia driver from kali repo:

Code:

apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig
    My clean install and then the latest NVIDIA drivers does not have nvidia-xconfig loaded, try removing
    apt-get remove nvidia-xconfig
    This is what I was suggesting earlier, the options that nvidia-xconfig writes to your config file are not recognized by the new NVIDIA drivers.

Do you know what version of the NVIDIA driver you have installed on the system ?

Install the latest NVIDIA drivers then configure them with nvidia-smi, heres a good doc, http://developer.download.nvidia.com...smi.331.38.pdf

You can do this without having to boot into X
    Last edited by PandorasBox; 2017-10-15 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by PandorasBox View Post
    I am going to setup an experiment in the next few weeks to see which is the fastest in a real life test.
    Would be great if you could also consider Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor. It's fast and convenient and running with Windows. Perfect for guys who are using old Notebooks for Kali and up-to-date hardware with Windows.

A quick way to restore a broken Kali because of Nvidia issues;
    Boot to recovery and;

apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    apt-get--reinstall gdm3
    apt-get--reinstall gnome
    apt-get--reinstall gnome-shell
    reboot
    You should reboot back into X with the original Nvidia driver and then you can attempt to update your Nvidia driver again. Or you can take a look at the log files in a GUI environment to find out what exactly caused your system to fall over.
    Last edited by PandorasBox; 2017-10-20 at 14:02.