Thread: Can't click any desktop apps or menus after upgrade

Can't click any desktop apps or menus after upgrade

Hi,
    I've been using my Kali VM over the last year with only a few hiccups. After my host laptop needed a Windows reinstall I also updated Virtualbox to the latest version (5.2.12). Installed the latest guest additions using apt, which didn't use the latest ones so I downloaded and used the latest iso image. All good. Patched Kali with about 800MB worth of updates but that seems to
    cause problems. Kali Linux is the latest version as of yesterday.

The workspaces on the right hand side of the screen are no longer displayed. I can't use the mouse to click on anything AFTER logging in. The terminal window is active so I can run commands from there. But the applications menu is not accessible nor is anything on the desktop or the applications on the left hand side menu.
    Right click in the terminal window is not working either.

Since I still have access to a terminal I can do some troubleshooting but don't know where to start. Guest additions was my first guess but that seems to be OK now. When logging in I can click the login button so generally mouse capturing in Virtualbox is working as expected.

Since I had a backup of the Kali hard drive image I copied that to the Windows host, updated the guest additions, it works again. Patched the machine again, works until I reboot, then the problem reappears.

Found some errors with journcalctl but not sure what to do about it or if they're related to the problem.
    journcalctl_error.JPG

Can someone give me some pointers as to where to start troubleshooting? It's a rather weird problem as I don't get any errors.

uname -a
    Linux kali 4.16.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.12-1kali1 ...

Thanks!

I'm experiencing the SAME as stated above.

I had a look at the "journalctl" and found many 'gnome-shell' errors/launch errors.

I've tried on a dual-boot MacBook Pro, Kali Live w/ persistence (usb) (on MacBook Pro), + Kali Live w/ persistence (usb) (on a Compaq Laptop).

(All occurred following an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade" over a week ago.)

Thank you.

@Dudley

May I suggest to you (as I have done) state your information on an OPEN issue at Kali Linux Bug Tracker. https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4794

I've the same issue as I stated above.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    The workspaces on the right hand side of the screen are no longer displayed. I can't use the mouse to click on anything AFTER logging in. The terminal window is active so I can run commands from there. But the applications menu is not accessible nor is anything on the desktop or the applications on the left hand side menu.
    Right click in the terminal window is not working either.
    Same state here.
    HP Workstation Z420 & Dell Precision 4800.
    Gnome freeze after login, XFCE-Desktop works fine.

Go here, it's an open issue. https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4794

I am having the same issue. So far, I experienced this with a new image install using the latest image trying on both virtualbox and vmware. It works before the apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade command, but afterwards, it does what you describe too.

Go HERE -> https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4794 for the FIX.