Thread: the failing step is install the System

the failing step is install the System

i got this error again nd again..
    i want to install kali on my hard drive but got error on installing the system step..
    so thought okey no problem i will install it in vmware then i tried to install it in vmware..but got same error..see the screenshots..

vmware : http://www.anony.ws/i/2013/07/28/iR1Wb.png

directly on HDD : http://www.anony.ws/i/2013/07/28/O3Gn9.jpg

someone told me that the iso which i have downloded might be corrupt so downloded a new one but got same error as well as..
    plz help me to solve dis problem

kali version : 1.0
    Kali Architecture : 32 bit
    i have lenovo G570

Have you checked the SHA-1 sum on the iso and compared it to the sum on the website?

Agree to check the SHA-1 sum on the ISO. Also, have you tried the 64-bit version just for giggles? A buddy of mine has that same laptop and I recall it being a 64-bit architecture. The 32-bit version should work as well, but I'm curious to see if you get a similar error with the 64-bit install.

Same Problem here. after kali make the partitions (took 2 hours for 17% O_o) i got the same error

I had the same problem although it was installing with a guided partitioning using normal linux partition methods; /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp, & /home partitions. It seemed rather odd to me that I would get an install fail using guided partitioning. I went manual & made sure that everything was properly formatted plus I erased any exsisting data from the partitions with the partition manager. That was last night and I gave up at some wee hour of the morning. Today I went back through the install after getting some rest & ran into the same guided partitioning problem failing at install. I ended up doing the full partition install guided & ended up with one big partition & a swap area; this is not what I prefer.

I am dual booting with win 7 pro like many others. I ran into problems initially with an install of BT 5 r3 & win 7 booting with GRUB. The disk would not be recognized for an autorun upon booting the machine. I had to manually delete the partitions in win disk management & then run a repair disk using DOS cmd to bootrec /fixmbr & bootrec /fixboot to rewrite the MBR to get the disk to autorun. It was somewhat annoying & I am sure there must be some way to get a BT 5 r3 installed GRUB to autorun a disk.

I would have kept at it figuring this problem out but I was excited to see this OS & said "**** with it for now." I prefer advice to headaches. Any info would be greatly appreciated. So far I like the OS & was actually very happy with the slick Debian installer. Thank you for switching to this kernel; I am looking forward to working with Debian much more in the future.

Hi there again,

okay i choosed the encrypted LVM ist took 8 ours to write the partition on a Lenovo X200 . After that i got the Error Installation failed . falied is: Install the system

i took a screenshot

IMG_00001138.jpg

it says "no space left on device" . cant be, becouse there are 160GB free

someone can help?

The same problem. Does anyone have help with this problem. My notebook ASUS K 51 AC. Architecture: 64 bit.

okey so this reply to all of you who suggested me to check SHA1..
    i checked that and got that the SHA1 is different from the official site but how is dis possible???

9. I have same issue when I have installed kali in my system.Is there any solution for that.? Is any special system configuration required for installing kali on the system..?

Quote Originally Posted by vishal sonara View Post
    okey so this reply to all of you who suggested me to check SHA1..
    i checked that and got that the SHA1 is different from the official site but how is dis possible???
    Did you download your iso from one of Kali's download links? I'd try getting a new one from there and attempting a reinstall.

@levinagill, I'm not sure what you mean by "special system configuration" for Kali. It installs like any other linux distro, if you have experience with them. Have you checked out the installation documentation?

Quote Originally Posted by vishal sonara View Post
    That's the point. If the SHA-1 sum is different, then it indicates that the iso you downloaded is different in some way, such as being corrupted. Maybe try getting the torrent, and then check its checksum.

ya i downloaded it from torrent then direct link then again torrent means i downloaded it three times but after all i got same error from all the setups....
    Now this is forth time downloading running my behalf... and All the time i downloded setups from official kali website..

In HDD installation, verify the filesystem or partition filesystem (ext4) and swap (swap)...Use gparted to create both partition. Do not use any other methods to record the kali into usb other than the 2 stated in the documentation.

Use the text mode installation at starting menu.

By the way, is the setup in your machine bios-mbr or uefi-gpt?
    Last edited by maverik35; 2013-08-09 at 15:16.

I get a different SHA sum result from every download and none of them match the one on the website. I have downloaded it twice via web and 3 times via torrent. Each download has a different hash. Seriously, there has to be an issue on the server side if so many people are getting the same results. Not to mention on the wannabes that have no idea how to get help. Has any one found a solution to this problem?

My homebrew pentest linux is quite awesome (pats self on back), but there are things I want to play with in kali that I have failed to get working on my end. But ever since BT4 there has been this issue where you have to download several copies before you get one that works.

What have a tried so far? Glad you asked. I have tried everything I can find to try in these forums with no luck. I have tried http downloads and torrent downloads. I have tried multiple machines. I have tried various size HHDs and USB drives. The one time it did install, there was no boot info so I had to create that myself. I even tried to customize using the instructions found on the site (which are seriously lacking by the way) in hopes that maybe it was a build issue- no luck.

Not intended for installation? Then why give the option?

So sit upon your mighty high horse and preach away, but this issue is on the server end or with the downloads available. Unless you can explain otherwise, please hold the generic help you have spewed so far, that is my final finding.

I really hope you guys get this fixed on YOUR end because this is a great distro for pentesting (i dare say best), but with so many flaws, we can't use it here with any effectiveness. (my fingers are crossed)

I just downloaded kali 32-bits and amd64 to install them and they worked just fine...

Solution

Hi,
    I once struggled with the same problem. I made multiple download all giving the same error.
    The solution is to set you virtual drive to a minimum of 10GB then the installation will be successful.
    After my first successful installation, I retrieved my other copies from the bin and trying installing each one of the with a 10GB Virtual drive space and all installed successfully.
    Hope it comes in handy

And it did never install in HDD?????

I have my doubts.

Anyway, good luck.

Fixed my system install fail on virtualbox by using the VHD and making sure I had more then 10Gb set for the size.

Well, not sure how valuable this will be but I've been reading the forums due to my own setup problems as well..

When doing an installation from USB, graphical installation using separate partitions for swap /tmp /home /usr indeed fails miserably on my system.

It was unnecessary to do anything fancy, I simply did a non graphical installation with the filesystem "all in one" (for beginners) and it installed with no problem at all. So, if you are failing your installation from USB, may be just try that out and it could work just fine for you also.

SUCCESS! After dozens of failed attempts, I was able to install by manually creating partitions. The automatic partitioner allocated only about 8GB for the / partition. I bumped it up to 10GB and it worked...hope this helps!

edit: 10 GB is cutting it close, I quickly ran out of space. I recommend at least 15 GB for the / partition.
    Last edited by c2ypt1c; 2013-11-28 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I get a different SHA sum result from every download and none of them match the one on the website. I have downloaded it twice via web and 3 times via torrent. Each download has a different hash. Seriously, there has to be an issue on the server side if so many people are getting the same results. Not to mention on the wannabes that have no idea how to get help. Has any one found a solution to this problem?

My homebrew pentest linux is quite awesome (pats self on back), but there are things I want to play with in kali that I have failed to get working on my end. But ever since BT4 there has been this issue where you have to download several copies before you get one that works.

What have a tried so far? Glad you asked. I have tried everything I can find to try in these forums with no luck. I have tried http downloads and torrent downloads. I have tried multiple machines. I have tried various size HHDs and USB drives. The one time it did install, there was no boot info so I had to create that myself. I even tried to customize using the instructions found on the site (which are seriously lacking by the way) in hopes that maybe it was a build issue- no luck.

Not intended for installation? Then why give the option?

So sit upon your mighty high horse and preach away, but this issue is on the server end or with the downloads available. Unless you can explain otherwise, please hold the generic help you have spewed so far, that is my final finding.

I really hope you guys get this fixed on YOUR end because this is a great distro for pentesting (i dare say best), but with so many flaws, we can't use it here with any effectiveness. (my fingers are crossed)
    Id have to agree, this is an obvious server side screw up, whether intentional or not, its the only thing that makes sense. If I wore a tin foil hat Id have to say it was purposeful, one could well imagine what might happen if every install went smooth.

Hi,

I have got this error with the recent 1.0.6 64bit iso image. The sha1sum of 281ddb3d14619a973e254b8f484b7fe27defa822 mentioned on the downloadsite is ok, so I do not have an corrupted image. In my opinion it's simply a bug in the installer, I can only install all into one partition. As soon as I want to have /home in an extra partition, this error comes up. And it doesn't matter if I partition with or without LVM, and it doesn't matter if I use the graphical or the textmode install. But I suspect this are upstream (aka Debian Testing) errors. It seems that the installer is not in good shape.

Ah, there is bugreport http://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=243 assigned to Raphael Hertzog. He states there that is a disk full error, but there is a 250GB drive in my box ...

I'm also not able to install into one partition using LVM, installation seems to work but on first boot after installation the volume group with the root filesystem is not accessible.

In the moment I'm doing an install into a non-LVM non partitioned disc, I'm curious if this works.

I got the error "the failing step is install the System". I think the partition was too small so there wasn't enough disk space for the installation. It did not indicate this at all though. "the failing step is install the System" does not indicate this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    I got the error "the failing step is install the System". I think the partition was too small so there wasn't enough disk space for the installation. It did not indicate this at all though. "the failing step is install the System" does not indicate this at all.
    You have to go into the error logs at the temporary web server it set up. I, for one, was installing it in Virtual Box so it had no other os and I did not know how to get into the web server based on that. But I found this thread and followed a suggestion to increase the default VB hard drive space. So I did increase it to 12 GB and it worked.

Check the SHA1 as daedalus suggested.

Download image from kali page.

Check USB (if applicable) to see if it is formatted correctly or check for any bad blocks in it.

Yepeee..

I was getting msg "the failing step is install the System" now i get ride of it. Previously i was using 10Gb space as virtual disk and was using graphical installation.
    Then i tried with 15Gb and installation (no graphical) and it worked.

--
    i7 3770K
    8 GB
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Host Win 7 x64
    Guest kali x86

Does the installation fail after asking any selection as to dhcp, or something else or just after installing it suddenly pops out the error?

have you tried the mini iso ?

I have the same problem downloaded 64 bit iso, torrent, 32 bit iso, torrent. Even went as far as buying the 64 bit and 32 bit from osdisc.com all of which have a different sha1sum than the website. i have found that if you install with guided- use entire disk and then all files in one partition (recommended for new users) the system installs just fine, but if i select lvm it will fail everytime. Ok so today i have custom built an iso, using kali linux sitll not same sha1sum however not one ive got before. All that said is there a work around for the lvm or encrypted lvm?

Can confirm this error too.

But, I have found at least one option that makes me install it successfully - when partitioning just select "all in one partition" option and it would be ok!
    It seems to me some fails/errors inside partitioning mechanism and it should be fixed

I got the same problem as you. And i tried many times. But in my last try, I just click Enter all the way except the NO/YES(choose YES), and I succeed. Sorry, I'm not good at english, hope you can understand what i'm saying.

I keep getting to the installation stage and it keeps failing:-

I have checked the SHA1 and all is fine.
    I have tried creating a disk using unetbooin, dd and Win32 Disk Imager.
    I have attempted to use the 64bit and 32bit, I know my system is 64bit.
    I have attempted formatting to USB FAT32 and NTFS.
    I have also tried 4 separate 4GB USB's.

Everything I attempt keeps causing the same error.

I am now attempting to just install the mini version and build it using the repos.

I will let you know how it goes, whilst I am doing that does anybody know why it could be failing?