Thread: can't install kali 2018 without internet connection

can't install kali 2018 without internet connection

hi, I'm trying to install latest kali 2018.2 in virtualbox. I used kali 1.0.x version before and remembered there was no problem to install alone without internet connection.

But now it seems no longer work, tried several times, every time it stuck at step 'configure the package manager', which indicating 'an attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the cd failed.'
    if click 'continue', it will prompt to use network mirror, as I tried to install it without internet connection, I skipped it and choose 'no' option
    and then the next step 'GRUB installation failed' indicating 'The 'grub-pc' package fialed to install into /target/', without GRUB boot loader, the system could not boot even all following steps installed.

please could anyone tell if there is a solution to solve this issue? because currently the network here is not safe, I would like to build a 'clean' original image in virtualbox and after that connect to network would not a big issue as I can always back to that clean image.

many thanks in advance.

I've done Kali installs without network connection before, and had no problems. Granted, it's been awhile. First thing I would check is the downloaded ISO (hash verify), and install media...to rule out any problems there.

hi, grid, thanks for your reply.
    I checked sha256sum when I downloaded iso. Actually I have downloaded both i386 and x64 versions, all checked and tried installing in i386 and x64 version virtualbox respectively, got same problem as described in my first post.
    But when I installed them with internet connected, both of them could be installed without problem, because of above mentioned reason in my first post, I could not fully assure the installed image in virtualbox is 'clean', so I still prefer to install them without internet connection.
    could you pls tell if the kali you installed is version 2018.2? I doubt this issue exists in new versions, early versions (such as 1.x.x I installed before) are without this issue.
    anyway, thanks again for your information.

Try using the pre-built VM

I'm using the latest Kali version (2018.3), 64-bit native install (non-VM). However, I had a network connection when installing.

As Mister_X says above, might be easier to use the pre-built VM images.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
    hi, I'm trying to install latest kali 2018.2 in virtualbox. I used kali 1.0.x version before and remembered there was no problem to install alone without internet connection.

But now it seems no longer work, tried several times, every time it stuck at step 'configure the package manager', which indicating 'an attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the cd failed.'
    if click 'continue', it will prompt to use network mirror, as I tried to install it without internet connection, I skipped it and choose 'no' option
    and then the next step 'GRUB installation failed' indicating 'The 'grub-pc' package fialed to install into /target/', without GRUB boot loader, the system could not boot even all following steps installed.

please could anyone tell if there is a solution to solve this issue? because currently the network here is not safe, I would like to build a 'clean' original image in virtualbox and after that connect to network would not a big issue as I can always back to that clean image.

many thanks in advance.
    Weird must be an isolated problem, I recently installed a32bit 2018.2 image to a lab top I have from a USB drive. Exact way you describe and everything worked good.One suggestion when installing can you move the boot (b) parameter with the root (/) . Not sure if you have or not when I install sometimes not having them together will make a error message.

hi, Mister_X and grid,
    thanks for your suggestion, I have successfully installed virtualbox prebuilt VM.
    one 'interesting' tip from my experience of trying installing the VM which maybe helpful for others also plan to install prebuilt VM, change the default settings of 'Type' and 'Version' from 'other' and 'other/unknown' to 'linux' and 'Debian' (maybe other distributions also work, not tested), if not change, when boot in, after the initial GNU GRUB screen (kali gnu... / advanced option...), system will stuck and display a frozen black screen.

hi, bigbiz,
    could you pls tell a bit more details about 'move the boot (b) parameter with the root (/)'? not clear what it mean, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
    hi, Mister_X and grid,
    thanks for your suggestion, I have successfully installed virtualbox prebuilt VM.
    one 'interesting' tip from my experience of trying installing the VM which maybe helpful for others also plan to install prebuilt VM, change the default settings of 'Type' and 'Version' from 'other' and 'other/unknown' to 'linux' and 'Debian' (maybe other distributions also work, not tested), if not change, when boot in, after the initial GNU GRUB screen (kali gnu... / advanced option...), system will stuck and display a frozen black screen.

hi, bigbiz,
    could you pls tell a bit more details about 'move the boot (b) parameter with the root (/)'? not clear what it mean, thanks.
    https://docs.kali.org/installation/k...d-disk-install
    step 12, you should be able to choose where the boot parameter is located. By clicking on the partition a new screen will pop up make sure all other partitions have boot disabled. Should say something like bootable: no. Click it should now say bootable: yes. Save parameters.

hi, bigbiz,
    have tried as what you described, it works, thanks a lot.