Thread: Kali Linux may have major flaws

Kali Linux may have major flaws

Dear Kali Team

While I have searched the forum for an answer, I noticed lots of post about the Black Screen of Death. That is on boot.
    But for some odd reason, I keep getting this Black Screen of Death on normal use after boot.

The screen turns out of the blue pure black and once, but once in a while I also see a dashed yellow line on the far left side.

Now I do believe this might have something to do with the fact I am using an Intel Graphics Driver on my Asus-5742Z laptop.
    But I have no clue how to fix it as I cannot seem to find any fix for it, not on stack overflow or youtube.

So I wonder if this is a bug in Kali because I never had this issue before. Did have the black screen of death on boot, but that
    I fixed with the VGA = fix

Sadly it is now so frequent that Kali the greatest distro ever, pretty much is totally useless ;(

Is this on the roadmap, is it not news to you or do anybody else have it, perhaps managed to fix it.
    Please let me know

I do not want to change again back to other distros, but if it cannot be used it cannot be used.
    Never had any similar issues in any other distros.

Take care guys, keep up the good work
    I would love to change the world, but they will not give me the source code!

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbix View Post
    Dear Kali Team

While I have searched the forum for an answer, I noticed lots of post about the Black Screen of Death. That is on boot.
    But for some odd reason, I keep getting this Black Screen of Death on normal use after boot.

The screen turns out of the blue pure black and once, but once in a while I also see a dashed yellow line on the far left side.

Now I do believe this might have something to do with the fact I am using an Intel Graphics Driver on my Asus-5742Z laptop.
    But I have no clue how to fix it as I cannot seem to find any fix for it, not on stack overflow or youtube.

So I wonder if this is a bug in Kali because I never had this issue before. Did have the black screen of death on boot, but that
    I fixed with the VGA = fix

Sadly it is now so frequent that Kali the greatest distro ever, pretty much is totally useless ;(

Is this on the roadmap, is it not news to you or do anybody else have it, perhaps managed to fix it.
    Please let me know

I do not want to change again back to other distros, but if it cannot be used it cannot be used.
    Never had any similar issues in any other distros.

Take care guys, keep up the good work
    Hi man! How are you doing?
    So, I really think its not a exclusive Kali problem, maybe is a good idea to check if Debian Testing is compatible with your hardware, try to install Debian Testing and check if you have the same problem, If yes, its obvious not be a Kali issue.

Another stuff you can do:
    Check if the ISO hash matches with the hash from Kali site. If you are using a weekly image, maybe is better you download the original, this weekly images some times are unstable.

Also, for what are you using kali? As you know Kali is not recommended for Main/Daily use and if your notebook is not exclusive for perform a pentest, I really recommend you run Kali in a VM.

Following a link in case you have some doubts regarding running Kali in a VM. A lot of people say a lot non sense stuff about run kali in VM.

http://blog.dclabs.com.br/2016/05/ka...ed-or-usb.html

Hi, I am doing find, thanks for asking..

My PC is used for pentesting but also learning, coding and exploring. I have used the distro before but due to this issue, I have had to revert to other distros like i.e. BlackBox and Pentoo, heck I even tried to port Ubuntu into a Kali clone. One of the best features I like in Kali is the fact that you are root, but also that most of the need to use are present and somewhat configured.

My machine is not the newest sort. If you calculate in Gordon Moors's law, it pretty **** old

Nevertheless, it has served me good over the years and for most of my work it works just fine. Still pretty fast and reliable, and oh yeah it has, of course, the Atheros card.
    Now I will not brag about any expertise when it comes to Linux and Pentesting, for now, it's only a side job and project based. But I do want to move more into this and I need to learn even more. That said I am afraid I am not familiar with Debian Testing sir but will read up on it and of course try to see if that helps or the issue can be reproduced.

I particular do not want to run VMs on my laptop, as I do want both the speed and the entire disk for space. I have setup an internal network for pentesting, so I do have a machine that runs different VMs.
    But that may be a good idea just to see if the issue reproduces in a VM, heck better crashing that than the PC when it comes to rebooting.

Sure am glad for your assistance.
    PS. I do not use Kali for day2day use, only dedicated work :
    I would love to change the world, but they will not give me the source code!

@Nubbix

If you can get to a console boot prompt, have a look at the output of dmesg, and see if it gives you any clues. If you're still stuck, I'd put in a ticket at bugs.kali.org.