Thread: Kali Live 64GB USB Cannot Update...

Unhappy Kali Live 64GB USB Cannot Update...

Background: Running Kali Live Rolling release on a 64GB USB(3.1) drive, using a ChromeBook 11 to boot into the OS. I have about 1506 Updates that I need to run for the Kali OS

Issue: "E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives.", (1506 Updates need to run)
    (Note I have already attempted running "sudo apt-get autoclean" (or) "sudo apt-get clean" and "sudo apt-get autoremove", none of these have worked. YES, I have read other post and searched Google.

-I've attached images to article please let me know if you need me if these are helpful or if you need clearer pictures but below are additional problems that I'm sure are an issue
    -> /dev/sda1 (Use%=100%)
    -> /dev/loop0 (Use%=100%)

Question: How would you suggest partitioning the USB?
    Will 64GB be enough for the OS and the updates that I need to run?
    Where is a good starting point for re-partitioning my drive? (i.e. articles, other forum pages)

--Thank You to Anyone in advance...sorry for bad english
    (PS if More info or clearer pictures are needed please let me know.)

If you want an up to date live, I'd recommend either building your own kali or using the weekly ISOs. Updates are not gonna stick on a live, and you'll have to do them every time you boot.

Updates on kali live are not saved. Use weekly build.

Thanks guys and I appreciate the input but, does that also explain why the drive won't update at all? Just some additional information, I'm making use of Encrypted Persistence with the Live USB. I thought the whole point of persistence was that it would maintain customization/updates each time I boot up?

PS if Either of you could link an article about custom/weekly builds that would be much appreciated--but I understand if you'd rather not thanks again

I'd say probably because it doesn't have enough space to unpack the archives. What you could do is delete the content of the downloaded updates and only download a few at a time. List all the updates, and run 'apt install XXX' with just a few packages at a time, and it will update them. And clear the cache.

Yes, updates are saved with persistence, with the exception of the kernel.

You can find the link to weekly ISO on the download page: http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly

Post NOT live USB Kali

hello

i had the same error while updating on my USB Live Kali
    E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/

i did an update with
    apt-get update
    apt-get clean
    apt-get upgrade

hopefully it remains

Question
    I would prefer a USB drive that has a Harddisk installation of Kali
    is there a way to do a "normal" installation on USB instead of a LIVE installation?

thanks for your advice

kalippo

@kalippo Yes you can install Kali on USB. You need atleast 32 GB USB storage.

NOT live Kali installation on USB

i understand that a live usb runs in ram
    is there a how to for a NON-live kali installation on USB?
    i want to prevent that the installation messes with my bios or UEFI and startup

? can i transform live USB itself to a regular installation on usb?
    ? apt-get clean made it possible that the updates gave no error, can i resize the partitions of my live USB

Thank you everyone ("_defalt", "kalippo", "Mister_X")l However unfortunately it appears that I am still having the same issues with update. Additionally I tried using a USB with 256GB this time around and attempted running a lighter OS for the sake of my system--still unwilling to update. My latest download was the weekly ISO, when I tried to update that is when I get the issue that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread occurs again. I tried downloading Kali-Lite due to my system then attempted to download "kali-install-top10" (I thought this might be the lightest package give the meta page I found) and it seems my usb can't even handle that.
    My questions at this point are:
    1. Am I doing something wrong when initially creating my image?
    2. Is it an issue that I am attempting to run the live USB off of an " 11inch Acer CB3-131 Chromebook "?
    3. Is there something in the disk partition that I need to clear or delete?
    -Also I have attempted using the commands mention above and the issue still seems to be persisting
    apt-get update
    apt-get clean
    apt-get upgrade

If anyone sees this again please help and i'm sorry it took me so long to respond with thanks. More than willing to provide additional information if need be. TLDR: Even after downloading lite-distro and attempting to update
    to "light" kali tool set installation, my 256GB is saying that it doesn't have enough space for the update/installations.

@Kalippo Installation to USB doesn't mess up your UEFI. You need another bootable USB to install kali in your first USB. Installation is same as you Install kali in your hard disk.

No, you cannot install kali on the same USB which is already your bootable USB.

Do not enable Legacy BIOS. Installation should be done in UEFI mode only.

@g3ntl3m3n Most of the components of kali live are read only and not writable so they can't be updated unless you create a persistent partition to save new data. But even persistence doesn't upgrade kernel version.

While the error you are getting is not associated with your storage, it has something to do with writing data on read only components.

The better option is to install kali on your 256GB USB. Kali installation requires atleast 25GB partition including swap partition. You can create more partitions for local drives.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    @g3ntl3m3n Most of the components of kali live are read only and not writable so they can't be updated unless you create a persistent partition to save new data. But even persistence doesn't upgrade kernel version.

While the error you are getting is not associated with your storage, it has something to do with writing data on read only components.

The better option is to install kali on your 256GB USB. Kali installation requires atleast 25GB partition including swap partition. You can create more partitions for local drives.
    Hey thanks for the replay @defalt (and everyone else) and I appreciate additional information

Essentially the persisting issue is: that upon downloading the the weekly ISO, I attempt to update OS.To make sure that I have certain tool sets that I can use for research/practice. However, when I begin the updating process I seem continually hit the error: "E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/" as @kalippo pointed however even after making use of the commands

apt-get update
    apt-get clean
    apt-get upgrade

the same error persists. I've already attempted downloading a lighter distribution due to the limitations of the machine I'm running it on, which solved the random freeze issue.

Primary Issue:
    After installing Kali-Lite or Kali XCFE weekly ISO onto a 256GB USB then attempting to update & install other Kali supplied programs, I recieve the error message: "E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/"

Secondly even after downloading the weekly ISO based on distro that I'm using i'm given the Kali OS with little or no tools at all.

Which is why I attempt to update/install different tools, but when doing do thats when I get "E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/"

PS: Sorry for the long possibly redundant reply I've just been trying to get this fixed up for a while and for each new strategy I apply something gets in the way...Oh and I understand that I would have to enable persistence for any updates/installs to hold but my primary concern right now is completing said updates/installs

Sorry for redundant posts but just making sure that this stuff still adjusting to making use of forums, but the problem now is that even the 256GB with the weekly ISO and light distribution will not update/install anything which means I'm left with a Live USB that has no penetration testing or forensic tools I can study or use for research --Still getting same error message ""E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/"

@g3ntl3m3n Create bootable USB using rufus in ISO mode. Don't use DD mode. Use Kali Linux large for more penetration tools.

I recommend Installing it on your USB to access its full potential.

@g3ntl3m3n Create bootable USB using rufus in ISO mode. Don't use DD mode. Use Kali Linux large for more penetration tools.

I recommend Installing it on your USB to access its full potential.
    @defalt Alright I will do so and see how things workouts from there however just some lingering questions, 1.) Which distro should I download if I'm going to be running this on a chromebook? I know that you've said to not use Light but what should I use in its place that won't be taxing on the chromebook? (at least until I can afford a better system) and 2.) I see that you recommended the "Large" version but do you think that my system can handle that?...Just double checking

If your PC can run Windows 10, there won't be a problem with running Kali Linux large.

If your PC can run Windows 10, there won't be a problem with running Kali Linux large.
    I understand, and I will test it out, thank you. I guess I was just wondering if a Chromebook would be capable of using some if not all of the Kali Linux Penetration testing tools if I wanted/needed to be mobile? Ooorrr am I probably gonna need to invest in a better laptop to make that happen?

Just figured in the end that the A:The USB would handle the storage of the tool-kits while B: my Chromebook's hardware would handle the Usage of said tool-kits and the Kali desktop environment I choose--If I understand what's going on correctly