Thread: Does increasing TX-Power of USB Adapter matters ?

Question Does increasing TX-Power of USB Adapter matters ?

Hi everyone, today i was trying to de-authenticate client from AP (Testing) using "alfA AWUS036H" first it was working fine but then after taking too much time...
    So i searched on Kali forum and found Post about increasing TX-Power to 30dbi which i tried and changed successfully.

My Question is that does it really matter if i change TX-Power from 16dbi to 30dbi, because i dont think so... I think
    Its completely depending on Antena i am using which is 5dbi.
    So am i correct... ?

yes it does matter>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by P0c-TeaM View Post
    yes it does matter>>>>
    How can you explain plz,
    I think if i m using 5dbi antena then it doesn't matter hw much i increase Tx-power 20 or 30 ...

Would u plz explain. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Subscriber View Post
    How can you explain plz,
    I think if i m using 5dbi antena then it doesn't matter hw much i increase Tx-power 20 or 30 ...

Would u plz explain. ?
    when your sister want's to use the hair dryer and she plug it in 110AC power and it should be 220AC ! it will work but not with full power (air pressure and Heat)

i think it is the same in here .. its right you have 5dbi antenna but you did not take the most of your card power.. so if you change the setting's it should work with full power

but i dont recommend giving the card more current and power it to the limit for too long .. because it will overheat. and overheating is the enemy of circuit boards and electronics ..

sorry for the late answer ..

Quote Originally Posted by Subscriber View Post
    How can you explain plz,

Would u plz explain. ?
    Actually, when you say you are using a 5dBi antenna it's the GAIN of the antenna. But, the TX power is the power sent to the antenna by the transmitter. So let's say your TX power is 20 dBi and you get 5dBi antenna the Emitted-Isotropic-Radio-Power (EIRP as called in the RF field) will be 25 dBi (EIRP is a measure of the power sent over the air, you can also look for ERP for more info).

So this means that your antenna will only help you have more gain.
    As far as I know I don't think increasing the power will make a huge difference in an environment where you already get good signal from your AP. Although it could make a difference if you are far from the AP or if there is a lot of obstacles (brick walls, or other stuff in between you and the AP) it can make a difference.

You can see the RSSI when you make a Wireshark capture in monitor mode on the radiotap header. If you say you get -55 dBm RSSI it usually means a good signal, but as I am near my ap I sometime can get about -26 dBm which is better (nearest of 0 signal means strongest signal, but don't expect to get 0 dBm)
    Last edited by wr0ngnUmber; 2016-01-03 at 18:35.