Thread: Optimus install problems.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaliuser View Post
    hi, problem is in kernel, in my test bumblebee didnt work with the kernel 3.12. as for cuda, i didnt test, but it might work. i use debian 3.2 stable kernel with kali. you dont have to command optirun for pyrit, pyrit will find itself cuda if it works. i just logged for you cause i was like you here but all i got was insalt to my questions by some *******.
    I really do appreciate your help and I'm sorry to hear about how some people are, not sure why people reply just to insult someone/something.

To update the kernel, would I just "apt-get install linux-image-3"?

Quote Originally Posted by xNotta View Post
    I really do appreciate your help and I'm sorry to hear about how some people are, not sure why people reply just to insult someone/something.

To update the kernel, would I just "apt-get install linux-image-3"?
    Did that work out for you or not?

Quote Originally Posted by skittlebeezy View Post
    Did that work out for you or not?
    I just got time to try it tonight and it didn't work. Knowing my lack of knowledge of linux, I probably messed something up.

I updated using debian wheezy backport following http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-...ux-kernel-3-2/
    Then installed nvidia drivers via "apt-get install nvidia-driver"
    Then installed Bumblebee and BUmblebee-nvidia.
    Tried pyrit list_cores and still only got my CPUs cores. When using optirun I got the "[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver" error.

While still on the 3.2 kernel I tried http://allitsecurity.blogspot.com/20...a-optimus.html
    Followed the steps but used apt-get to install CUDA.
    In step 4 it says to see if the drivers installed correctly by running glxspheres and optirun glxspheres.
    When I typed it in, it said the command was not found.

I wiped the partitions and am going to try again following the previous linked guide and using the .run file probably tomorrow night.

If you have any tips, I am open to ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by xNotta View Post
    I just got time to try it tonight and it didn't work. Knowing my lack of knowledge of linux, I probably messed something up.

I updated using debian wheezy backport following http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-...ux-kernel-3-2/
    Then installed nvidia drivers via "apt-get install nvidia-driver"
    Then installed Bumblebee and BUmblebee-nvidia.
    Tried pyrit list_cores and still only got my CPUs cores. When using optirun I got the "[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver" error.

While still on the 3.2 kernel I tried http://allitsecurity.blogspot.com/20...a-optimus.html
    Followed the steps but used apt-get to install CUDA.
    In step 4 it says to see if the drivers installed correctly by running glxspheres and optirun glxspheres.
    When I typed it in, it said the command was not found.

I wiped the partitions and am going to try again following the previous linked guide and using the .run file probably tomorrow night.

If you have any tips, I am open to ideas.
    One thing that I have noticed is recently is that you don't want to install the nvidia driver from nvidia themselves. You want to install it using apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia. Also, I too have tried running glxspheres in the past both with and without optirun and I get the same output, command not found. I have had "success" with glxgears though. I say that loosely because it didn't actually run, I just get the "Could not load GPU driver" error. But, it didn't say command not found, so I know that it's there at least haha.

Also, I've found a few more sites(UBUNTU FORUMS) explaining some things a little better. Only problem is that they are meant for Ubuntu, not Debian. It seems that most of the support out there for anything linux related is going to be on an Ubuntu forum.

Here are those sites:

Ubuntu forum link 1
    Ubuntu forum link 2

I'll mess around with it a little more here and let ya know if I come up with anything. I took a break from this problem for a few days so I feel refreshed and ready to tackle it....hopefully.